Reserve Distance

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Since I picked up my bike 3.5 weeks ago (im fairly sure it belonged to CanadianFZ6 first, Hi Richard if this is the case) I've put almost 3000 km on it. I took it pretty far on the F-Trip today, made it to 80 km before I got to my usual fill up spot, I was carrying a half litre of fuel in my backpack just in case. It only took 18.8 L back all the way to full which I'm impressed with.

Whats the furthest people have gone on the reserve tank? I think I definitely could have made 100 km on it today.

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive had my bike for less than 2 weeks, but when I filled it up today with one 'tick' left on the gauge only 2.9 gallons went in. So I had to have around 2.5 gallons left in there still, or a good 120 miles. Kind of annoys me

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
I have gone to about 50 miles or 80 km as well. I don't carry extra fuel so haven't pushed it too far.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Search is your friend. Type in some keywords relating to any topic you are interested in and you should be able to keep yourself occupied until you are satisfied.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I was carrying a half litre of fuel in my backpack just in case.
What?? Is that safe to do?

erburtt and long, both of you are experiencing FZ6 Fuel Range-atosis:

The symptoms of this condition are feelings of anxiety about making it to your destination. This is often accompanied by confusion and frustration about not utilizing nearly enough of the 5.1 gallon capacity as advertised.

To fix this:
1) Learn how to top off.
2) Calculate your max F-Trip range, and don't fill up until you get close to it.

Topping off... the thing you're NEVER supposed to do according to the gas stations, must be done in order to get any decent range. If you insert the nozzle all the way and stop pumping, you're missing out on a lot of range. So don't be shy, raise the nozzle and pump slowly all the way until your halfway up the filler neck if you feel so inclined. It's always a good idea to test the pump's low-flow ability before you get all the way to the top. If it's very off/full blast, you might want to quit while you're ahead rather than risk splashing gas the top of the tank. Also - the best method for filling is on the center stand.

The F-Trip comes on when you have 0.95 gallons of fuel remaining. You calculate your max F-Trip range by multiplying your average fuel economy by 0.95. To figure out your average economy, simply divide miles ridden (A-Trip), but the number of gallons you put in the take. Do this over several fills, so you get a decent average.

Let's say you're getting 45mpg... your max reserve range would be 42.75 miles. Now - it is certainly not recommended to test this limit out. To be on the safe side - only use half of your max reserve range.

I get about 47 mpg and have gone as far as 38 I think. There was still a cup of fuel in the bottom of the tank.

Fuel Range-atosis affects 4 out of 5 motorcyclists at some point. With a little knowledge, you too can combat this wicked disease.

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
I almost pushed the limits the other night riding in the city before i remembered i am still using gas when sitting in traffic or at lights.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Since I picked up my bike 3.5 weeks ago (im fairly sure it belonged to CanadianFZ6 first, Hi Richard if this is the case) I've put almost 3000 km on it. I took it pretty far on the F-Trip today, made it to 80 km before I got to my usual fill up spot, I was carrying a half litre of fuel in my backpack just in case. It only took 18.8 L back all the way to full which I'm impressed with.

Whats the furthest people have gone on the reserve tank? I think I definitely could have made 100 km on it today.

Glad you're lovin the bike! :thumbup: I put in 4.88 gallons (18.5 liters) about 2 weeks ago, went about 207 miles (333 km) on that tank. That was as close as I've run it to empty since I bought the bike 2 years ago. Adding 18.8 liters, I'd guess you were just about running on fumes. 18.8 liters = 4.966 gallons and the fuel tank capacity is 5.1 gallons. That's what, about 12 ounces. Looking at it like that doesn't sound as bad - you had a beer in that tank!

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're lovin the bike! :thumbup: I put in 4.88 gallons (18.5 liters) about 2 weeks ago, went about 207 miles (333 km) on that tank. That was as close as I've run it to empty since I bought the bike 2 years ago. Adding 18.8 liters, I'd guess you were just about running on fumes. 18.8 liters = 4.966 gallons and the fuel tank capacity is 5.1 gallons. That's what, about 12 ounces. Looking at it like that doesn't sound as bad - you had a beer in that tank!
There is about 3.5L on reserve I used to do about 60km before refilling. My average km per litre is 20km and my best is 30km. This will be going down now the weather is better. I always top the tank off but since discovering that the fuel cools the the fuel pump I don't run the tank low any more.

Neil

Last edited:

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
Maaaaaaan be careful with that reserve tank. I've ran out of gas three times the first time I was pushing it to see how far it would go which was around 50 miles, that was in the summer. The next two happened the same $%&*@$ week in the winter, in the winter I only get 25ish miles before I runs out. Running out of gas sucks so much, now I don't go past 20 miles on the reserve.

Through all this I learned that you can get a fantastic work out just walking in your riding gear.