Replacing front cowl, can I use the old stay/bracket?

tdp32

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I am replacing the front cowl on my 06 Fz6. As most of you probably know, the front cowl for the 2004-2005 models sell for hundreds less than the 2006 model, so I bought a cowl for an 05 Fz6 and it should be here monday.

My question, is it possible to re-use the bracket/stay that is on the cowl currently installed on my bike? The bike went down and there are some minor cracks/scuffs on the front cowl, i'm not sure if there is damage to the stay/bracket (fingers crossed that there is none), so I was hoping to save my self another $100 bucks by using the old one.

If I need to order a new stay I'd rather know before I take off the cowl/fairing (I don't have much free time and if I gotta wait for a new one to be shipped I wanna use every minute of my free time riding!)

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks a ton guys!

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
2004 FZ6
5VX-28356-00-00

2009 FZ6
4S8-28356-00-00

Different part number, so I'd say yes. You probably need the cowling stay for the S1 if you want to use the S1 fairing. You will also probably need to inner plastics and then uh... well your speedometer isn't going to fit the S1 stay so.... I think you need lots of parts to make this work.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Depending on hard the bike went over, its NOT unusual for the stay to bend.

If you still have a fair amount of plastic cowl left, put the bike on the center stand. Sit on the bike and look straight ahead. You should be able to see if its off more than 3/4".

I can tell you it is a B...h to straighten (and not worth the trouble)..

Also, be forwarned that the (clear, with black backing)light assembly is held on with several screws thru the stay. The plastic that the screws go into EASILY break off. If one's missing, not a big deal. More than that, I'd be looking at a new headlight assembly.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Also, be forwarned that the (clear, with black backing)light assembly is held on with several screws thru the stay. The plastic that the screws go into EASILY break off. If one's missing, not a big deal. More than that, I'd be looking at a new headlight assembly.

I think I only have two out of four of those that are not broken from being dropped. But it seems to me like the mirror bolts do a pretty good job of holding everything together.

tdp32

Reaction score
Visit site

If you still have a fair amount of plastic cowl left, put the bike on the center stand. Sit on the bike and look straight ahead. You should be able to see if its off more than 3/4".

Thanks for the warning! I'll do as you suggested tomorrow morning! I had frame sliders on the bike when it went down,so there is still plenty of cowl left (only minor cracks in the right side, and the inner plastic was cracked pretty bad, basically useless lol).

I hope to god the headlight assembly doesn't need to be replaced. I just looked at the price of it and if thats the case, I might just sell the new cowl and put the money towards going naked! (Searching for a conversion kit on the forums as we speak haha)!

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Mine went down in a car park incident, not much faster than walking pace and it bent the mounting bracket and broke 3 of the 4 headlight mounting points through the bracket. I saved a packet though by repairing the mounts with Q bond, today, several years later they are as good as new. I did replace the bracket though.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine went down in a car park incident, not much faster than walking pace and it bent the mounting bracket and broke 3 of the 4 headlight mounting points through the bracket. I saved a packet though by repairing the mounts with Q bond, today, several years later they are as good as new. I did replace the bracket though.

Truck backed into my bike at 1km/h in a parking lot, knocking it over. The front barely kissed the pavement, but it was enough to tweak the bracket about 5mm to the left.

If you crashed hard enough to break the plastic fairing, I think it's a safe bet that the bracket is bent.

When I crashed the bike and completely destroyed the front end, I was able to pickup a complete front (fairing/stay/headlight/mirrors) for about $300 off the buy and sell on this site. May want to post there, I'm sure there's lots of people that fighter'd their 6 looking to offload their front end.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I saved a packet though by repairing the mounts with Q bond, today, several years later they are as good as new.

What is "Q bond" down there?

An epoxy, PVC melting agent or ? It would certainly save a bunch of $. I have at least one broke, probably two (still have the tabs too screwed on doing nothing).

Tks..

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
What is "Q bond" down there?

An epoxy, PVC melting agent or ? It would certainly save a bunch of $. I have at least one broke, probably two (still have the tabs too screwed on doing nothing).

Tks..

No clue what Q bond is, but I've had really good luck with JB Weld repairing broken plastic bits and pieces. Use the original stuff, not the quick set.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Never heard of it but here it is, Amazon of course!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Q-BOND-Adhesive-Kit/dp/B009Y269Y6/ref=sr_1_2/183-8791427-5325359?ie=UTF8&qid=1428882301&sr=8-2&keywords=q-bond+adhesive"]Amazon.com: Q-BOND Adhesive Kit Q-BOND Adhesive Kit: Automotive[/ame]

Rated 5 stars!!!:thumbup:

Last edited:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's the stuff. You hold the parts together, sprinkle the powder over the break, then drip superglue onto the powder and it is instantly rock hard and very strong.