Replace killswitch and starter switch ??

aonello3

Reaction score
Visit site
just returned from a long trip. it seems my engine keeps cutting out on me. i've narrowed it down to the kill switch area, as the starter switch has lost it as well. has anyone replaced this before? what am i up against?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Keep in mind that the kick stand safety switch will kill the engine if the bike is in any gear. Is the engine shutting off also while in neutral? If it stays running in neutral but only shuts off while in gear you could have a problem with the kick stand safety switch. Also up until the 2005 FZ6 there was a recall for bad TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) that can also creaet havoc. If you haven't done it you can go to a Yamaha dealer and they can punch in your serial number and tell you if yours was done.

Hope you sort it out.

Cliff

Edit: My son's here from Jersey right now. We rode Palomar Mountain's South grade and Banner Grade today.

aonello3

Reaction score
Visit site
well, here's the thing. i'll be riding along, and it'll , just as you've described, cut out on me, which will basically throw me forwards a bit, i'll hold down the clutch, switch the kill-switch back-forth a few times, and release the clutch back into gear, which throws the bike back into gear w engine running. this is what i had to do to get home atleast. so would this qualify for the kill-switch on the hand-grip ? or is it still related to the underneath kill-switch for the kick stand. and my start button is a bit 'jammed', it doesnt feel like a 'switch' anymore, gotta press on it like a button now. some bizarre stuff. thoughts on the above?

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
Try taking the starter switch/starter housing apart, should be 4 screws I think really easy. Make sure the wires are still properly seated. Check for bad connections, clean and maybe squirt some wd40 in there make sure it's not gummed up. Make sure the screws are tight as well. Maybe it was too tight when it was assembled and turning the handlebars yanked on it enough to unseat the wiring. Dunno.

It's cake to replace but kinda expensive. The whole assembly is ~$60 if I remember right. It's not that hard to replace at all really, just have to lift the tank and run the new wire in the same place the old one was. Shouldn't take more than an hour or so. G'luck with it. I'd check your kickstand switch as well before you start buying new parts. Maybe as your riding/coasting along it's getting wiggled about or something.

Brandad

Reaction score
Visit site
My kill switch failed a few months ago. You can test it out in a quiet garage with the key on and the engine off. Try to slowly flip the kill switch from on to off so as to make/break the circuit and listen for a 'click' noise under the seat. Now, with the switch in the run position, jiggle the switch around, push it left & right. If yours is no good, you should be able to hear the 'click' coming from under the seat as it incorrectly makes or breaks connection.

Clean up the contacts in the switch, then try again. If it is still faulty, the housing, kill switch, and start button are sold as a unit, so it sounds like you'll kill two birds with one stone.