Removing Tach needle

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
How do you remove it without breaking it? I applied a little pressure with a screw driver to pry it off, but I'm afraid to do more.

Last edited:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
(Yeah, I know what you mean. Mine scares me to death sometimes too!)
All seriousness aside, I have NEVER had any luck removing any type of needle off of any gage, (except some industrial ones). I think they must be married for life!
Good luck. (If you succeed would you let us know?)

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
See if you can find a mini gear puller at the local hobby shop, looks like a shaft spacer with one side milled down to create an opening for the pinon shaft or the shaft of your tach, has a screw on the other side with a turned down end to fit inside the hole in the pinon, should fit your tach shaft and if not you can chuck the screw in a drill motor and file it a little smaller.

Jerry

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
I got to ask the question, why are you removing the tach needle?

Changing the color of the LEDs under the LCD, figured why not under the tach too?

@jblk9695 If its going the be that much of a big deal then I'll just leave it be, not going to risk permanent damage on a perfectly working tach just to change its color.

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
Changing the color of the LEDs under the LCD, figured why not under the tach too?

@jblk9695 If its going the be that much of a big deal then I'll just leave it be, not going to risk permanent damage on a perfectly working tach just to change its color.

Unfortunately it is a little difficult to get the needle off without bending the shaft, probably best if you do leave it in place:D

Jerry

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
Hm, I had hoped that there was some secret removal technique, like some cars you can spin the needle around a few times and it pops off, or a magical angle that would allow it to just pull out.
Oh Well, needle can stay red. Rest of the LCD is white now.

FrankieOC82

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, sorry to resurrect a somewhat dead thread, but I'm curious about changing the lights/color of the LCD screen.

I'm getting tired of the weak, green backlight - reminds me of my old Gameboy from back in the day. I mean, sure, the Gameboy was ridiculously awesome....in 1989. C'mon, you'd think Yamaha could've stepped it up a bit from 80's technology for the FZ6!!!

Is it a pain in the a$$ or relatively easy (for someone who has some soldering experience)?

Any suggestions/walkthrough or pics of the final product? Thanks!