Removing Sticker Residue?

The best thing I've found is Ronsonol lighter fluid, or anything else that contains Naphtha. It worked great to remove the sticker from my tank.

I appreciate all the replies. Tried the WD40, and got some of the residue off, but youcan still see the outline of where the sticker was. I will try some of the other methods too.

John

try to use the hair dryer and get a plastick "PLASTIC PUDDY KNIFE" and i mean PLASTICK that should help to do the rest.

I used alcohol - the stronger the better. Any perfume/cologne (and makes your bike smell good for a while!). If you can buy rubbing alcohol that would also work as would methylated spirits - although that smells bad.

Theoretically Smirnoff would work too, but I'm not wasting it for such a mundane task...

What's the best way to remove the sticker residue without harming the paint?

Thanks,

John

Ditto...

A friend of mine asked me about this the other day... I'm a chemist, so I gave him a vial full of pure methanol.... any alcohol should work great, but shouldnt damage the paintwork in any way.

Generally, glues are make from organic chemicals, so if you dont want to waste Smirnoff (as said above), very hot water with washing up liquid would be best, as it is designed to dissolve oils and other such chemicals....plus at least you can be certain it wont do any damage to the paint...

I second the "goo gone" suggestion. I've used a lot of things to remove sticker residue and glue, but goo gone just WORKS. You can get OK results using isopropyl alcohol and a lot of time, but goo gone works fast.

Buy a bottle and you'll soon find all sorts of uses for it. Removing pine-pitch from a car, for example.

whatever you do, dont use a sharp object to try and pry it out. i learned the hard way removing a badge from my car. after removing the residue easily with goo gone, i had some serious waxing and buffing work.

if your still seeing an outline, you should try adding a lil more pressure.

Removing your stickers is a violation of FEDERAL law. Violators are severly punished and should have deep bank accounts (attorney fees) or else plan on doing serious time in a federal penitentiary. Do you want to have a federal felony record? You can TRY to put the stickers back on but it will be obvious that you have tampered with them and will still be subject to federal prosecution.

I don't think my missing "FZ6" stickers from the side pods or the missing Puig sticker from the windscreen will bother anyone that much. ;)

Removing your stickers is a violation of FEDERAL law. Violators are severly punished and should have deep bank accounts (attorney fees) or else plan on doing serious time in a federal penitentiary. Do you want to have a federal felony record? You can TRY to put the stickers back on but it will be obvious that you have tampered with them and will still be subject to federal prosecution.

Seriously Tailgate?

I have not removed any of mine, but did not think it would be a crime? I thought it would be like those tags on pillows?

Is removing the Cat Pipe a felony too? I still have mine also, and do not plan on removing it even when I get new pipes.

(You got me, Tailgate, should have read a little further before responding!:Flip:)

Last edited:
Paint thinner. Lots and lots of paint thinner. Just take the can and sploosh it all over the tank and where ever there is a sticker. Those suckers will come right off in a jiffy. People will say, "Wow! You would have never known there was a sticker there! I must now worship you!" Yes, yes... paint thinner not only works for stickers, but will also make people treat you like a deity.

:D

X

Back