Removing paint from header pipes?

PcH

FZ6 n00b
Reaction score
Visit site
Previous owner painted the header pipes (and maybe even all the way to the slip on part of my M4 exhaust, not sure) black and I don't like the look of it. I went to a paint store and explained to them my situation. I purchased some paint remover but was wondering how I should go about doing this.

I think removing the pipes would be the best idea so I don't accidentally remove paint from any other part of the bike. Haven't thoroughly looked at it yet, but it looks like you remove just a couple of bolts. Is it more complicated than this? If I remove the paint, will the metal still have that polished look to it? Thanks!

dantrigg

Reaction score
Visit site
Previous owner painted the header pipes (and maybe even all the way to the slip on part of my M4 exhaust, not sure) black and I don't like the look of it. I went to a paint store and explained to them my situation. I purchased some paint remover but was wondering how I should go about doing this.

I think removing the pipes would be the best idea so I don't accidentally remove paint from any other part of the bike. Haven't thoroughly looked at it yet, but it looks like you remove just a couple of bolts. Is it more complicated than this? If I remove the paint, will the metal still have that polished look to it? Thanks!

It is unlikely that it is paint. Most paint will not hold up to the temperatures the header will experience. It is most likely powder coating or ceramic coating. I doubt paint stripper will remove either of those.

PcH

FZ6 n00b
Reaction score
Visit site
It is unlikely that it is paint. Most paint will not hold up to the temperatures the header will experience. It is most likely powder coating or ceramic coating. I doubt paint stripper will remove either of those.

Yeah, it's ceramic..that's what I forgot to mention in the original post. The guy at the paint store said what I bought will remove it.

S

Shamus McFeeley

If it is ceramic and has been baked on, I doubt that store bought paint stripper will ever remove that. The best bet is to find a paint shop near you that does metal coatings like powdercoat and ceramic and get them to sandblast it and re-coat it with something you like.

I have had small parts like exhaust parts and valve covers done for less than $100. Most places will prefer that you let them sandblast it because they usually use a finer media. Using too rough of a media will pit the metal and the coating will not come out as well.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the necessity of sand-blasting to effectively remove a "baked" on coating.

Another Idea: Why not offer to trade with someone in the forum? There are many here that the ceramic coating is another check-mark on their mod list. If the finish on your pipes is in acceptable shape, I am sure that it wouldn't take long to find a willing candidate. The shipping cost is likely cheaper than blasting/painting your current set-up.

Just a thought.

PcH

FZ6 n00b
Reaction score
Visit site
If it is ceramic and has been baked on, I doubt that store bought paint stripper will ever remove that. The best bet is to find a paint shop near you that does metal coatings like powdercoat and ceramic and get them to sandblast it and re-coat it with something you like.

I have had small parts like exhaust parts and valve covers done for less than $100. Most places will prefer that you let them sandblast it because they usually use a finer media. Using too rough of a media will pit the metal and the coating will not come out as well.

Thanks, I'll definitely try this if the paint remover does not work.

PcH

FZ6 n00b
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the necessity of sand-blasting to effectively remove a "baked" on coating.

Another Idea: Why not offer to trade with someone in the forum? There are many here that the ceramic coating is another check-mark on their mod list. If the finish on your pipes is in acceptable shape, I am sure that it wouldn't take long to find a willing candidate. The shipping cost is likely cheaper than blasting/painting your current set-up.

Just a thought.

Not a bad thought, but the con is downtime with no bike.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not a bad thought, but the con is downtime with no bike.

Not if you meet up with someone who is within driving distance and swap them together, on the spot. It shouldn't take long at all. :thumbup:

PcH

FZ6 n00b
Reaction score
Visit site
And here's what he did:

"Sanded the pipes, cleaned with laquer thinner, applied four coats of vht flameproof paint. Heat cycled according to directions on spray can."

Is this reversible without screwing up the polished look?

S

Shamus McFeeley

It looks like this type of coating is silicone based ceramic according to their product sheet. It is not "baked" in the traditional sense like other thermal coatings are, instead you apply it and use the heat the motor produces through the exhaust pipe to "cure" it. Pretty much all of the "prep" work he did by sanding it has destroyed whatever stock look those header pipes had. There is no telling what grit he used, or if he even had the foresight to wet sand it. I still think your best bet is to find a professional sandblasting and powdercoating shop or, swap headers out with someone else. What you've got here is another case of "previous owner took a shortcut" and now you have to deal with it. There is another thread in here where this very subject was brought up.

Here is a link to the stuff your PO used:
Imitation Ceramic Link

Here is a link to the real deal:
Genuine Coatings Link

Last edited by a moderator:

PcH

FZ6 n00b
Reaction score
Visit site
It looks like this type of coating is silicone based ceramic according to their product sheet. It is not "baked" in the traditional sense like other thermal coatings are, instead you apply it and use the heat the motor produces through the exhaust pipe to "cure" it. Pretty much all of the "prep" work he did by sanding it has destroyed whatever stock look those header pipes had. There is no telling what grit he used, or if he even had the foresight to wet sand it. I still think your best bet is to find a professional sandblasting and powdercoating shop or, swap headers out with someone else. What you've got here is another case of "previous owner took a shortcut" and now you have to deal with it. There is another thread in here where this very subject was brought up.

Here is a link to the stuff your PO used:
Imitation Ceramic Link

Here is a link to the real deal:
Genuine Coatings Link

Thanks so much for your help. I'm going to try finding someone who wants to trade straight up. As soon as I saw they were sanded, I knew I'd never be able to get them back to a stock, polished look without someone professionally re-doing them.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks so much for your help. I'm going to try finding someone who wants to trade straight up. As soon as I saw they were sanded, I knew I'd never be able to get them back to a stock, polished look without someone professionally re-doing them.

Sanded or not; One of the main reasons people paint/ceramic coat in the first place...

Picture #1: New "Polished" Header Pipes
Picture #2: Used "Polished" Header Pipes

They discolor, stain, and lose the polish very quickly. You can bring it back to almost new with some elbow grease but, it will never be the same again.

Last edited:

PcH

FZ6 n00b
Reaction score
Visit site
Sanded or not; One of the main reasons people paint/ceramic coat in the first place...

They discolor, stain, and lose the polish very quickly. You can bring it back to almost new with some elbow grease but, it will never be the same again.

I'd rather have a polish look to match the first gen frame than the black. Personal choice I guess. I've seen threads on how to restore them, too.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

That's not a great example. Take a look at mine.. and I didn't try to get them perfect either (much better than the 2nd image you posted, imo):
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/17176-polished-header.html

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's not a great example. Take a look at mine.. and I didn't try to get them perfect either (much better than the 2nd image you posted, imo):
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/17176-polished-header.html

Great Post Erci; That is the "Elbow Grease" of which i was speaking. The second image was just to show what an un-treated/un-renewed pipe tends to look like.

Out of curiosity, and in the general theme of this post, how long has your new polish look lasted?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Out of curiosity, and in the general theme of this post, how long has your new polish look lasted?

It's been over a year now. I haven't touched the header since then and it still looks pretty good.. definitely a bit more yellow, but not too bad.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Just looked at a recent pic and realized that the header is actually quite yellow/brown. I guess it's time to give it a quick polish again:

(have moved headlight down and tilted the speedo down since this pic was taken, but here it is):

sf1.jpg