Removing front wheel...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
An extension. It's just a bar with a 3/8" square that you use when you can't reach a bolt.

image_14229.jpg

Pic of those vice grips up there sends chills down me spine. . . :thumbdown:

riderlak1

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe it was mentioned already and I missed it, but the best free-ish tool I've seen for the front axle is a reversed 5/8 Spark Plug socket. You just have to stick an extension in from the "wrong" side and there you have it... a 19mm hex tool.

830142-3-8-dr-5-8-spark-plug-socket.jpg

That's what I used and it worked great! Plus you're able to get the proper torque during reassembly, when using the vice grip method I'm not sure you'll get it right. Worked like a charm and was right there in my toolbox already!

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
What the guys have already told you plus......DO NOT squeeze the front brake lever while the discs are out of the calipers!!!!!!! (Idiot-proof it somehow in case someone else walks up while you are working on it!!!!!!!) Good luck!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What the guys have already told you plus......DO NOT squeeze the front brake lever while the discs are out of the calipers!!!!!!! (Idiot-proof it somehow in case someone else walks up while you are working on it!!!!!!!) Good luck!

Good Point.

Something else - IF leaving the bike apart for a while gravity CAN allow the pucks to move and come together making installation of the caliper a PITA.

Usually just shoving some cardboard in there will prevent the pucks from moving.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I also made sure to torque every bolt down to the specified setting in the service manual. (The axle, pinch bolt, and caliper torque member bolts.) A decent beam torque wrench is $25. The clickers are a lot more but worth it if you use them often. Especially with the front axle, I thought it was important enough to mention.

RobM

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone tried using the new Pitbull front stand, that lifts from the steering stem, when removing the front wheel? I have heard you shouldn't use a front stand without the rear on a stand. Can the front stand be used with the center stand, or is the rear stand required to use the front stand?

zanadu

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone tried using the new Pitbull front stand, that lifts from the steering stem, when removing the front wheel? I have heard you shouldn't use a front stand without the rear on a stand. Can the front stand be used with the center stand, or is the rear stand required to use the front stand?
I got a front stand and I've used it with the center stand, works just fine. No need for a rear stand if you have a center stand.

fz05rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe it was mentioned already and I missed it, but the best free-ish tool I've seen for the front axle is a reversed 5/8 Spark Plug socket. You just have to stick an extension in from the "wrong" side and there you have it... a 19mm hex tool.

830142-3-8-dr-5-8-spark-plug-socket.jpg

I have been reading about this technique at many places but I am unable to get the extension rod to lock on to the square groove on the other side (right side to lock on to the socket). There is a round hole through which the extension does not go through; am I missing something? BTW, I have removed the rubber plug grip that helps to hold on plugs and still I am unable to lock on the extension rod.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been reading about this technique at many places but I am unable to get the extension rod to lock on to the square groove on the other side (right side to lock on to the socket). There is a round hole through which the extension does not go through; am I missing something? BTW, I have removed the rubber plug grip that helps to hold on plugs and still I am unable to lock on the extension rod.

If you have access to a welder, you can make your own tool.

A 1/2" bolt, flat washer and nut (3/4" OD). Bolt them together tight and put a weld on the end.

Fits perfect into the front axle, the washer holds it flush, put a 3/4" wrench on the nut sticking out and crank away...

Last edited:

zonkkk

Reaction score
Visit site
Guys I'm stuck. Just can't get the front wheel axle off. Got the calipers off, undid the pinch bolt, and trying to undo the axle with the bolt and nuts method :).

It just won't give. Is this reverse thread or something???

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Guys I'm stuck. Just can't get the front wheel axle off. Got the calipers off, undid the pinch bolt, and trying to undo the axle with the bolt and nuts method :).

It just won't give. Is this reverse thread or something???

Nope, its regular thread.

Must be seized either at the left side fork end or the spacers inside the wheel. Sometimes smacking the head of the axle will loosen the rust. This however isn't the best procecdure for the bearings. I'd spray some penetrating something on the fork threads/axle and let it sit some. A heat gun to the fork leg(with the threads in moderation can't hurt-don't go overboard). If you have an air gun, just the shock will sometimes break it loose.

Let it sit for awhile with the penetrating oil before any other attempts. You may try a larger breaker bar in a worse case scenerio.

From post #29, this thread:

If you have access to a welder, you can make your own tool.

A 1/2" bolt, flat washer and nut (3/4" OD). Bolt them together tight and put a weld on the end.

Fits perfect into the front axle, the washer holds it flush, put a 3/4" wrench on the nut sticking out and crank away...Tighten or loosen.

Last edited:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't remember the exact torque specifications, but it's somewhere around 50-70 ft pounds - you might just need a breaker bar or extension on your handle to get enough force on it.

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used the bolt and nuts method, and managed to bend the bolt before the axle turned. I got the doubt for which way to turn when I bent the bolt and looked at the exposed thread direction on the other side of the bolt and tried again. Its a normal thread, anti-clockwise to remove and clockwise to tighten.

zonkkk

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys. I still did not get the wheel off today. The bolt I was using just snapped. I guess I'll try to get a spindle key tomorrow... I got everything else off for headstock bearing replacement... wheel and forks off tomorrow... this was a long day. :)

zonkkk

Reaction score
Visit site
19mm spindle key, wheel off in one minute. Don't do what I did trying to improvise tools (19mm bolt and nuts) and loose half a day...

seansi

Reaction score
Visit site

I'm curious about this too as I'm about to remove the wheels. How does the extension fit into the spark plug hole? Do I remove the plastic that holds spark plugs?