Rear Wheel Bearing Sleeve

Wonda3oy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question, as far as I can tell I am missing the rear wheel bearing sleeve. I was putting on a new chain and sprocket set (front and back) and when I was re-assembling via the Haynes manual I noticed that I do not have the rear bearing sleeve that sits on top of the needle rollers.

I did not loose this part as everything was kept together when I was taking the wheel apart. This is the 1st time I had to take the back wheel apart since I bought the bike 2 yrs ago.

My question is this....

Is it safe to ride the bike without the rear bearing sleeve? Coz to my mind I have been since I got the bike 2 yrs ago and I just had to replace the sprocket carrier bearing from normal wear and tear. And that was doing 27,000klm in just under the 2 yrs.

Any ideas?

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Huh, don't see how you could have ridden it without the sleeve and the bearing would not be carrying any load. Could the sleeve be stuck inside the wheel hub? I'd look around again and make sure it is missing and not on the floor somewhere or inside the hub.

tosh23

Reaction score
Visit site
You need the sleeve, there should be two parts, a long spacer and a sleeve that's about 2" long...It has to be somewhere,

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You need the sleeve, there should be two parts, a long spacer and a sleeve that's about 2" long...It has to be somewhere,

+1 on the above.

You can also double check on a Yamaha parts fisch which will show the breakdown of the rear wheel assembly.

Its possible it fell out when you had the wheel off and rolled up away and under something.. The bike wouldn't have driven without some major handling isses and you wouldn't be able to torque down the rear wheel axle.

I'm assuming the rear axle was tight when you took it apart?

Post #16 has a picture of the wheel assembly: http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/48413-cct-safe-ride-2.html

Last edited:

Wonda3oy

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanx for all the replies lads...quick update.

I doubled checked the garden today and no sign of the sleeve, so unless it got lost in the tools as a socket or something I dont know.

I rode the bike today and it felt fine...in fact it felt better then the day I got it, but a new gold DID x chain with new sprockets front and back and a service would make it SWEET! :Flash:

I went to my local dealer and told him I was on it without the sleeve bearing and he said I was mad to ride it....he said that it will drive fine and feel fine but that all the drive would be coming from the one bearing and it was not safe at all and could collapse at any time.

So he gave me a number for a another dealer and I got the full axle assembly from a broken 07 FZ6 and I am fitting the sleeve tomorrow 1st thing.

Just so we all know a few things, the bike swingarm nut did torque to the 120nm perfectly fine without the sleeve and the bike rode fine. I checked for play on the rear wheel 3 times in the 45 min ride and no play in the wheel and it was rock solid.

Thanx for the replies.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was going to say that if you torque to spec, its not going to turn nicely anymore as the inner races will be forcefully preloaded as there is nothing to keep them apart (assuming its the inner spacer between the wheel bearings AND NOT these shown here).

In the foreground are two spacers. One for the brake side (with flange) and the other for the drive hub. But what I hear you saying is the INNER tube inside the axle is missing a spacer??? It can't fall out unless the bearings are removed so I'm lost.

Is it one of these in the foreground?
attachment.php

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was going to say that if you torque to spec, its not going to turn nicely anymore as the inner races will be forcefully preloaded as there is nothing to keep them apart (assuming its the inner spacer between the wheel bearings AND NOT these shown here).

In the foreground are two spacers. One for the brake side (with flange) and the other for the drive hub. But what I hear you saying is the INNER tube inside the axle is missing a spacer??? It can't fall out unless the bearings are removed so I'm lost.

Is it one of these in the foreground?
attachment.php

Part #7 is the inner spacer that rides inside a needle bearing. It does indeed come out:

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2009 FZ6 (BLACK METALLIC X) - FZS6YB REAR WHEEL Diagram

When changing tires, you have to be careful to either pull it out, tape it in or just save it. That collor is necessary for static balancing the wheel too.

No way would I be ridng the bike without it. Besides the obvious reasons, putting 80+ Lbs of torque on a set of bearings that aren't solid in the middle (all the spacers, etc) literally sandwiching it, will destroy the wheel bearings..

To the Op, I would very carefully check the rest of the wheel bearings while its apart. Any roughness, ANY irregularities, replace the bearing(s). :thumbup:

Note, once the below picture is opened, double left click to increase the size for viewing.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Part #7 is the inner spacer that rides inside a needle bearing. It does indeed come out:

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2009 FZ6 (BLACK METALLIC X) - FZS6YB REAR WHEEL Diagram

When changing tires, you have to be careful to either pull it out, tape it in or just save it. That collor is necessary for static balancing the wheel too.

No way would I be ridng the bike without it. Besides the obvious reasons, putting 80+ Lbs of torque on a set of bearings that aren't solid in the middle (all the spacers, etc) literally sandwiching it, will destroy the wheel bearings..

To the Op, I would very carefully check the rest of the wheel bearings while its apart. Any roughness, ANY irregularities, replace the bearing(s). :thumbup:

Note, once the below picture is opened, double left click to increase the size for viewing.

Scott, Are you saying Tube spacer #6 can go through Needle Bearing #4?? I thought it was trapped! That's what memory servers me as mine has never fallen out.

Either way - the only thing I leave out and ride is the valve stem cap. Everything else is important!!

Thanks Scott!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Scott, Are you saying Tube spacer #6 can go through Needle Bearing #4?? I thought it was trapped! That's what memory servers me as mine has never fallen out.

Either way - the only thing I leave out and ride is the valve stem cap. Everything else is important!!

Thanks Scott!

Nope, #7, will come out very easily (lube that needle bearing too) with the wheel off.

Its not hard for it to fall out depending on how greased up it is.

Yes #6, that center tube spacer is in there, I think the OD of that is larger than the needle bearing so as you earlier stated, it won't come out without pulling a bearing first (I've never tried, nor had it come out).