Rear Spring Preload

G

guyd78

I've had my 06 FZ6 for a little over a month now, and so far so good. Somewhat clunky shifting, but I expected that so no worries. Overall I'm really pleased with the purchase.

Tonight I was wanting to calculate the rear sag, and adjust if necessary. I weigh 165, and as of now it is set at the factory level of 3. Two questions:

1. The tool kit did not come with the bike. I called all around town, and no one has a c-spanner wrench. Is there a way to adjust the preload without the special wrench? One dealer told me that I should just use a hammer and screwdriver, but I'm not sure about that. Another said to try vice-locks.

2. I plan on setting the rear sag to 30-35mm with me only on the bike. However, if my wife decides to ride with me on any given day I don't want to have to adjust the preload each time (and then back again once riding solo). For those that ride 2-up, any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone?

I might resort to the screwdriver method. I just hope I don't bugger anything up. If someone has a wrench that they could scan, or make a photocopy of, and e-mail it to me I'd appreciate it. Then I could just make one over at my uncles shop.

Thanks

Vise grips did the job. Very easily I must say.

Bumped up the load to 5, and rear sag was right at 30mm. Felt better riding around afterwards compared to the factory setting.

Back