real gas mileage for FZ6

SeaPup

Reaction score
Visit site
I have read alot here on the site and on SBN. I have read that the speedo is off from 8% to 13% on the FZ6. Is that what gives the FZ6 about 50 miles to the gallon? Due to the fact that we are running slower MPH than we think, thus getting better gas mileage?.

What is the real gas mileage for the FZ6 with the speedometer corrected? Yes I know that if the speedo is fixed now the distance traveled is off which makes it alittle difficult to figure out gas mileage. I also read that putting a 17 tooth front sprocket on the FZ6 cures the speedo error however causes the miles tracked to be off. Does this mean that if a 17 tooth front sprocket is installed there is no need for a speedo-healer? plus I read that the speedo-healer cures either speedo error or miles traveled error but not both.

It seems to me that if the electrical signal used for speed and distance is the same signal but splits and travels to different places on the circuit board. I would think that if the speedohealer cures speedometer error but throws off distance traveled you could compensate the distance traveled by placing some resistance in its circuit path that differs from the speedo circuit path and vice versa. Just my thoughts.
............ but back to Mileage for the FZ6, Does anyone out there have their speedometer correct that can tell me what the true gas mileage is for the FZ6, comfortable normal riding and sportbike riding since both would obviously be getting different rates. Thanks in advance.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have read alot here on the site and on SBN. I have read that the speedo is off from 8% to 13% on the FZ6. Is that what gives the FZ6 about 50 miles to the gallon? Due to the fact that we are running slower MPH than we think, thus getting better gas mileage?.

What is the real gas mileage for the FZ6 with the speedometer corrected? Yes I know that if the speedo is fixed now the distance traveled is off which makes it alittle difficult to figure out gas mileage. I also read that putting a 17 tooth front sprocket on the FZ6 cures the speedo error however causes the miles tracked to be off. Does this mean that if a 17 tooth front sprocket is installed there is no need for a speedo-healer? plus I read that the speedo-healer cures either speedo error or miles traveled error but not both.

It seems to me that if the electrical signal used for speed and distance is the same signal but splits and travels to different places on the circuit board. I would think that if the speedohealer cures speedometer error but throws off distance traveled you could compensate the distance traveled by placing some resistance in its circuit path that differs from the speedo circuit path and vice versa. Just my thoughts.
............ but back to Mileage for the FZ6, Does anyone out there have their speedometer correct that can tell me what the true gas mileage is for the FZ6, comfortable normal riding and sportbike riding since both would obviously be getting different rates. Thanks in advance.

The speedometer is off by 10% above 70mph. The odometer is correct and is not inflated. So when using the odometer to calculate mileage, it is correct. The speedometer is off due to the software program (algorithm?). VW and BMW do this in their automobiles. A speedo healer will correct the inflation, and allow you to compensate for sprocket changes.

As for mileage, I get 50-55mpg highway and the worst tank I have gotten is 38mpg.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have ran 209 miles on one tank and decided i didnt really want to push it any further. Not sure what the mileage is because i didnt pay attention to how much i put back in.....

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I get 40-45 around town and 50-56mpg on the highway. At 70 mph on my speedo, my GPS says that I am going 66-67 mph. My car speedo reads about 1 mph higher than my GPS. So for my bike the speedo error is around 5% or less at speeds above 60 mph. Below that, the error is less.

B

Bo67

I get 47-52 mpg depending on wind, temp, and riding style. have 16,000 miles on my '07 now so I'm happy with that.

SeaPup

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the inputs everyone, Craig007 wrote that at 70mph the FZ6 is really doing 65mph, that is kindah of what I was trying to find out for sure.I've noticed that everyone seems to pass me as I am doing 70 on the interstate but when I crank up alittle to 75 everything seems to balance out and I am flowing nicely with traffic and not getting run over.

I have a speedo healer on order the new version, I guess I will have to rely on the fuel gauge and ignore the odometer. As long as my Speedo is correct I'll be happy. I'm also thinking of going to a 17t upfront to get a few more miles per gallon and alittle higher top end plus 80 or 90 in first gear:D:D:D:D

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
I havent checked it on my bike yet, but on my Yamaha snowmobile (same digital dash setup as on the bike) when i run with my GPS the trip on the sled and GPS are always within a mile or two of eachother, so the odometers appear to be unaffected.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is some more data. I zero my trip odometer and my GPS fuel odometer when I fill up. This is how the number look:

FZ6- 199.4 miles; GPS says 197.6 miles
FZ6- 173.8 miles; GPS says 171.7 miles

That is within about 1%

My GPS is still reading a steady 3 mph lower when my FZ6 spedo is reading between 65 and 80 mph

ADK2OBX

Reaction score
Visit site
I was also thinking of istalling a 17 tooth front sprocket to get better gas mileage and im gathering that there is more to it than just swapping sprockets.. that last time i did this was on my trusty ol 94 honda magna. The speedo gear was set in the front wheel axle area and was straight mechanical. So from what i understand is that i will need a speedo healer to get the correct mph on the fz6? Has anyone did this swap and were there any noticeable gains?

Hondo64d

Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ6 speedometer consistently shows 5% faster than what my GPS shows. Gas milage for the last four tanks has been 47, 47, 48, 47.

John

Hondo64d

Reaction score
Visit site
What kind of driving? My driving so far has been almost all city and i'm only getting 39-40.

My commute is 14 miles one way. The road is pretty much traffic free, with one yield sign where I slow down, and three stops. The speed limit is 50mph the whole way. Sometimes I adhere to it, other times not, but even when I'm going a little fast, I seldom exceed 70...

John

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
35-36. I know I can get better, because I got in the low 40s when on a very laid-back ride with a friend, but I just can't ride that way regularly. It's not awesome mileage, but it's still far better mileage than you would get from any car - and no car is more fun.

The FZ6 has so little giddup below 8K that I would not want to gear any taller.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Mate,
My best MPG is 55 my worst is 25. At a speedo reading of 153mph my sat nav read 142mph. I beleive the faster you go the grester the error.
Still I am not to fussed by it,

Nelly

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Filled up today - 39mpg from pure city driving, 8 miles back and forth to work which takes me from 15-35 minutes depending on traffic. This is only my second tank and hopefully will get better. I am surprised as my blinking light goes off and even on the center stand I only put 3.6-3.7 gallons (american). I used to be able to put the same in my Ninja which had a 4.8 gallon tank. Needless to say the Ninja 500 was much more economical, but we'll see when the bike frees up and is broken in.

trailmug

Reaction score
Visit site
I usually get slightly more than 4 US gallons (side-stand) in the tank of my 2008 after running on "F-TRIP" for 20-30 miles. I usually get around 180 miles to a fillup, very consistently getting 44-45 MPG. 2200 miles on the clock. I mainly commute on the highway (70MPH zone, 35 miles one way) to get to work, and travel faster than traffic. Somehow adding more in-town travel doesn't seem to affect my mileage. I tend to skip-shift in town, and will run in 6th above 45 if not accelerating. Certainly some 13Krpm blasts are mixed into each of those tanks too. :)

AlanB

Reaction score
Visit site
More proof I need to go on a diet! I get 38-40 around town commuting and 45 when I go out to play on a weekend. Never actually taken a trip on a superslab, so I don't know about that. Might help to take off from lights a little slower and run a higher gear to keep my revs down too.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I pulled in a gas station with 235 on trip meter. I was getting nervous since I had 35 miles on "F-Trip." I imagine that if I had using ALL the volume available in the FZ6 fuel tank and filled it to the brim I could've gone further. It was all freeway (60-75'ish traveling 'cept for a few miles on Reno, NV surface streets. I say we can squeeze 250 out of a tank if filled to absolute capacity.