RaceTech vs Catalyst Reaction

Which company?

• Total voters

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Hey guys,

It's getting near crunch time for me and the front suspension. I can't take the mushiness anymore! So I've narrowed my choices to RaceTech and Catalyst Reaction.

I've personally met Dave Moss at the track and he's awesome and some consider him the best there is.

That being said, RaceTech is heavy in the game but seems more corporate.

Both companies would replace my springs, oil and install cartridge emulators. Both would do it for about the same price.

I'm leaning towards Catalyst Reaction but want personal opinions from those who have both. OR if you have experience with Catalyst reaction or Racetech on any other bike. Thanks!

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
I did a racetech setup on my FZR600...springs, emulators, heavier oil (Bel-Ray synthetic), and some very nice custom adjustable preload fork caps from JEM. I paired it up with a Fox twin-clicker rear shock and BT-014 tires. I set it up per their fitment/tuning guide for my weight, and found everything worked great except I needed to run a bit less preload than they suggested in order to get the sag correct. It really transformed that bike, however the resultant ride is pretty firm, which made for REALLY nice handling/braking on good surfaces, but on some crappy roads it would get pretty tiring. Probably a bit of tuning on the emulators and/or oil weight could fix this though. I find that the stock FZ6 is much firmer than the FZR600 was, but still compliant on rougher roads, yet I think the damping could use a little work for more spirited riding and certainly if you are heading to the track.

I don't know how much they are charging you, but the work is not hard if you have a few tools, you'll need to fab a damper rod bolt holder and you'll need a PVC or cast iron pipe fitting to press in the new seals. Or at least pull the forks off yourself vs. paying labor for bike teardown/rebuild, it is really easy.

My only other suggestion would be to use OEM oil and dust seals, they are a bit more $$ but seem to hold up better, I had to re-do mine once after the racetech stuff deteriorated.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
I see that catalyst reaction uses racetech parts....They use GP suspension stuff for "race-tuned" but I don't know if GP makes parts for the FZ6 Fork.

So it may not really matter....

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
Ja, Dave Moss took care of me. The advantage of going with him is that he'll set up the bike for you based on your use and your weight, and advise on upgrades if any of the stock componentry isn't adequate.

The work is easy, but the suspension expertise is what I didn't have.

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
I found a time to hook up with him when he went to the track; I wanted to have the whole bike set. My hubby took his forks off and brought them in. It's all what you need.

sonic

Reaction score
Visit site
Being a racer and never having had work done by either company, I'd go with Racetech. They are definitely the preferred source among racers (at least in the southern US). I'd only heard of catalyst once before this thread.

With that said, buy the emulators and springs from wherever and get advice from the vendor on oil and oil height. Make a spring compressor from some all thread and do it yourself. Total cost under $200. :rockon: