R6S Engine Parts into FZ6

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
So I've been reading around as well as my dealer telling me that you can fit some R6S engine parts; like the camshaft and others, into the FZ6. I was wondering if anyone has done this and could tell me what the pros and cons for doing any engine mods are. Haven't really found anything I have been looking for as far as a review goes. WAs wondering if they are worth doing and what labour is needed. And of course results of the mod itself.

I am not too engine savvy, so please try and not get too technical. Thanks everyone! :D

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For the cost of cams, other required parts and labor, you can get a used R6 motor for about $750 to $1000.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For the cost of cams, other required parts and labor, you can get a used R6 motor for about $750 to $1000.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

yea but wouldnt you need a different ecu and then possibly speedo? or would you think that it is drop in???

I saw that thread in the classifieds, but never saw a how to.. i have been on the forum for years and have NEVER heard of someone actually succeding in droping in r6 parts. I'm sure its possible, but cant find a how to.. :thumbup:

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
The reason you don't see it is, most likely most people don't see it as worth while. That's a fair bit of work and money for an FZ6. I think most would rather just sell it, and buy an R6/R1 or equivalent. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, or that you shouldn't do it mind you! If you want to, and it can be done, then by all means go for it! :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would think you might have to change the head and or at least head gasket if they are different from the R6 to make the R6 cams worthit. Is the compression ratio the same?

If you swap the entire motor, are the frame mounts going to be in the same place on the motor, being it's an integral design? What about throttle bodies and where they'll be in relation to the original air box. If not will the R6 airbox fit?

On the ECU issue as long as the FZ6 ECU works with the R6 motor, I would just get a Power Commander and dyno because it should close the gap on other differences that the R6 ECU won't cover.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
From what I've seen the block and head are the same but the R6 head gasket is thinner, resulting in a slight compression ratio bump. Also the cams and intake/exhaust setups. The R6 has different fuel injection, and I believe the throttle bodies are a couple mm larger diameter. I always wondered if the motor mounts are in the same place since I have not yet seen anyone actually swap one over. You can compare the parts on Ronayers' parts fiche.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think a long block will fit, I think. I was working on my '05 R6 last night and it looks like it will pretty much drop in. The easiest thing is to reuse the FZ6 FI and exhaust system, and as Cliff said use a Power Commander or Bazzaz unit to dial it in. Or the really trick set up is use the Yamaha YEC ECU; it's fully programable.

Dunno on the motormounts. My R6 uses seperate mounts unlike the FZ6. But the casing of the cases looks to be the same.

Last edited:

expatmanxman

Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't the R6 have downdraft throttle bodies feeding from the air box which is above the motor whereas the FZ has sidedrafts and no airbox under the tank? Presumably you would have to use the FZ6 throttle bodies, woulld these be a straight bolt on to the R6 motor?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't the R6 have downdraft throttle bodies feeding from the air box which is above the motor whereas the FZ has sidedrafts and no airbox under the tank? Presumably you would have to use the FZ6 throttle bodies, woulld these be a straight bolt on to the R6 motor?

No they are both downdraft style. I don't know the diameter of the throttle bodies and intake ports between the two however.

Wiki here we come...

FZ6 is 36mm, R6S is 38mm.

There a subtle differences too. The clutch arm for the FZ6 is on the top of the case, on the R6 it is at the bottom. Other small things too.

Last edited:

opnwhlmnd

Adrenaline junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
R6 engine lower end will not fit. I tried.

The intake tracts on an R6 head are different. FZ intake boots fit right on an R6 head. The R6 boots are different.

I've had mine both ways, just R6 cams in a FZ6 head and now I have an R6 head on the FZ.

Also have the thinner R6 head gasket installed. Raises compression by .4

It's well worth it for anyone to just install R6 cams in an FZ6 head. Pulls harder thoughout entire RPM range.

The longer duration on the R6 cams give the FZ more bottom end.

As soon as my custom radiator gets finished I'm going to install a .050 thick head gasket to raise compression even more. Don't have my notes from ccing everything but if remember right it will raise compression to 12.2

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. To the above poster, what does installing them entail and what are the benefits/downfalls? Same questions for the gaskets. The link to the sale really doesn't say much.

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
So after doing much research, I still can't find any proof that the R6S camshaft will raise or lower torque. I've heard both claims. Anyone have definitive proof?

opnwhlmnd

Adrenaline junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
The cams and head gasket are just remove/replace. Not hard at all. I have my cams degreed but not a have to at all. Just remove the old and drop in the new.

Also the FZ cams are cast steel and solid. The R6 cams are hollow billet steel and much much lighter. Lower unsprung rotational weight is a good thing. Another way Yamaha saved production money to make the FZ less expensive.

I recently moved and have my dyno sheets in other place. I had it dynoed on a dyno out of the bike at an engine builder friend of mine so the numbers will read higher than actual rear wheel dyno numbers.

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
The cams and head gasket are just remove/replace. Not hard at all. I have my cams degreed but not a have to at all. Just remove the old and drop in the new.

Also the FZ cams are cast steel and solid. The R6 cams are hollow billet steel and much much lighter. Lower unsprung rotational weight is a good thing. Another way Yamaha saved production money to make the FZ less expensive.

I recently moved and have my dyno sheets in other place. I had it dynoed on a dyno out of the bike at an engine builder friend of mine so the numbers will read higher than actual rear wheel dyno numbers.

Compared to stock did you have an increase every where or did you lose any torque/horsepower in the power band?

opnwhlmnd

Adrenaline junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
Compared to stock did you have an increase every where or did you lose any torque/horsepower in the power band?

No loss anywhere. Gains throughout powerband. I wouldn't change back I really like it.

awsomeness.. would love to see that sheet.. any other pictures from the build??

Sorry no pictures from the build. I'm not much of a picture taker.

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a nice mod if it increases lower rpm torque.
Is it possible to change cams without taking the engine out of the frame?
Is it easy to adjust cam timing?

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a nice mod if it increases lower rpm torque.
Is it possible to change cams without taking the engine out of the frame?
Is it easy to adjust cam timing?

I second these questions. My dealer won't tell me because they want money. Hell, they even tell me they should be the ones changing my oil.