R6r front end swap.... finished finaly!

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm no way near finished with the FZ6 mods, my grips are coming from overseas (still waiting), I ordered the clip-ons last week, they siad to allow one week for production, but I did complete front end swap today, it's not a 'how-to', since every one builds a bike differently, just a pictoral walk through of the swap, I'll answer any questions the best I can, I work 6 a.m to 6 p.m so I may not reply till after 6p.m.

Jack up the bike
SH105895.jpg

Remove FZ6 front components
SH105896.jpg

I machined the R6r steer tube to FZ6 specs
SH105821.jpg

Install R6r components, I swapped the brake rotors at this stage
SH105898.jpg

The R6r has a larger steer tube, so I used two split rings for shims(I had them in the tool box) I used epoxy to make sure they didn't vibrate loose
SH105903.jpg

The ignition will hit the frame, so made two brackets to extend out the ignition, then cut off the collar on the clamp
SH105904.jpg

The R6r steer tube is also shorter, so I cut the FZ6 bearing nuts in half
SH105905.jpg

I also cut the FZ6 steer tube nut in half, otherwise it's too tall
SH105906.jpg

SH105907.jpg

I made the R6r fender my self
Finished !!
SH105908.jpg

A few more pics for ya.
SH105909.jpg

SH105910.jpg

SH105911.jpg

I'm only 5' 8" with a 29 inch inseam, but now I can sit on the bike flat footed :cheer:, I can't wait until I install the R6r swing arm and shock. :sinister:

Those front rotors are badass. Oh, and so is the fork swap...;)

Looks awesome! There are all types of cool front end conversions going on these days. Are those flush mount signals that you have installed on the little holes in the frame?

Are those flush mount signals that you have installed on the little holes in the frame?

Yes they are! Proton flush mount turn signals, expensive but worth it, cnc'd acylic bodies, sms high power l.e.d's, potted curcuit boards with built in resitors, two flash modes: normal blink or strobe, their visable from any angle.

I've added a link for the turn signals.>http://www.indysuperbike.com/customer/home.php?cat=30106

Last edited:
Yes they are! Proton flush mount turn signals, expensive but worth it, cnc'd acylic bodies, sms high power l.e.d's, potted curcuit boards with built in resitors, two flash modes: normal blink or strobe, their visable from any angle.

Interesting, I've never seen anyone do that, but it's a really good idea to cover up the holes. I might have to look into those for additional visibility.

Out of curiousity, which model did you buy the signals for? Or are they just universal?

I do believe they are universal, mine are for the 06' R1, a local guy was selling his R1 mods. I would post a night shot of the turn signals, but it's raining and thunder storming outside.

Last edited:
So if I have an 06 fz6 which year of forks for the r6? I don't want to end up buying the wrongs and being out alot o money.

So if I have an 06 fz6 which year of forks for the r6? I don't want to end up buying the wrongs and being out alot o money.

Hmmmm...Essentially it depends on what you are willing to do. You can put pretty much any R6 or R1 Fork on the front (probably any fork from any manufacturer and model for that matter).

Here is the thread for my R1 fork swap, along with links to other swaps that have been done: http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/32175-how-install-r1-forks-fz6.html

The things that you have to keep in mind are:

- Length of the fork
- compatible weight of the bike (our bike ways around 450 lbs)
- Will you be putting your FZ6 front tire back on or one that matches the
make and model of the forks.
- Are you willing to:
- Swap out the steering post, modify the steering post, swap the steering
post with the FZ6 steering post, etc...
- Replace the bearings and races
- Modify the triple so that it has free range of movement
- Remove and remount your ignition on the new triple
- Consideration for mounting handlebars
- You will have to select the correct brakes for the forks

These are just a few of the things that come to mind in answering your question. Essentially it means you have some researching and measuring to do. Sorry no easy answers in modding unless you count the buy it and bolt it mods :thumbup:

Last edited:
Back