R6R forks - doable?

krushnuts

Where did I put my keys..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The vision I'm having almost nightly of my FZ6n is one that includes the gold inverted R6R forks. Is it doable? I mean, anything is doable, if you can fabricate the bits. I spose I'm wondering if it's an afternoon job, or week end even? I'm totally nube sauce when it comes to these things!

Oso2k's awesome compatibility chart only lists the R6s forks, and that's with some assistance in the form of little brackets for the front mud guard. The R6R forks are a fair bit different. I am willing to experiment a bit, but have no idea where to start or what to do.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/thoughts yas may have.

Cheers,
Krishna.

krushnuts

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Start taking measurements. Anything can be made to fit, given a local machine shop and a little money spent.

Sweet, I'll measure... Um, lol, I don't even know where to start. Width of the axle, from top of forks to bottom, width between the triple clamps, between the center of each fork above the triple clamps. That kind of thing?

I've got my eye on a few R6R fork sets on ebay. I'll see how they measure up once I have em in my grubby hands.

MRGM

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the process of doing the same conversion. You'll need to modify the fz6 steering stem to fit the lower R6 triple, and then fabricate a new upper triple clamp.

You'll also have to buy a R6 fender and brake system including lever.

krushnuts

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the process of doing the same conversion. You'll need to modify the fz6 steering stem to fit the lower R6 triple, and then fabricate a new upper triple clamp.

You'll also have to buy a R6 fender and brake system including lever.

Cool, thanks Mrgm for the info, I will add these items to my list. Methinks this mod is gonna take some time, but will be well worth it.

Perhaps I'll try and get my local bike mechanic on side... Sometimes a crash can be a good thing!

Nolift911

Reaction score
Visit site
I took a look at this mod - the outcome and changes that need to be made vs. what you get it was way easier and cheaper to send my forks to RaceTech and have them mod them for my weight and riding style - was like $150 when all said and done.

Doesn't look like the R6 mod so if that is what you are after it won't get you that - and I get that is what some people want, I just wanted a front end that did not feel like a bowl of jello when I got on it (or off of it entering a turn) I also added the Ohlins rear shock that was setup for me also (weight, riding style etc) which is fully adjustable - both of these mods transform the bike when thrown hard into corners, which ultimately is what I was after.

Very firm and great compliance IMO - had cheaply and easily. Its not like our bikes need upgraded braking performance which some might say comes with the R6 mod. Again just my opinion.

Not saying the R6 mod is not a good mod and not knocking those who have done it, I have made many mods on my bike also - but the time and money and tradeoff - IMO is more worth the RaceTech route...and I asked alot of people thinking about and having done both mods - outcome was mod the forks internally...

Again just my 02

-nolift911

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
I took a look at this mod - the outcome and changes that need to be made vs. what you get it was way easier and cheaper to send my forks to RaceTech and have them mod them for my weight and riding style - was like $150 when all said and done.

Doesn't look like the R6 mod so if that is what you are after it won't get you that - and I get that is what some people want, I just wanted a front end that did not feel like a bowl of jello when I got on it (or off of it entering a turn) I also added the Ohlins rear shock that was setup for me also (weight, riding style etc) which is fully adjustable - both of these mods transform the bike when thrown hard into corners, which ultimately is what I was after.

Very firm and great compliance IMO - had cheaply and easily. Its not like our bikes need upgraded braking performance which some might say comes with the R6 mod. Again just my opinion.

Not saying the R6 mod is not a good mod and not knocking those who have done it, I have made many mods on my bike also - but the time and money and tradeoff - IMO is more worth the RaceTech route...and I asked alot of people thinking about and having done both mods - outcome was mod the forks internally...

Again just my 02

-nolift911

$150 RaceTech mod vs. $300 R6 Fork Mod is a good argument. And it true that 04-06 FZ6 brakes were crap and that there was great benefit from the R6 calipers. Probably not a concern for most riders, but the R6 forks come with adjustability. So, as parts wear, you can tweak and tweak until you're ready to get your forks rebuilt ~$75 job. Does RaceTech rebuild them for free?

Q-TIP

Reaction score
Visit site
For the time and money this is going to cost it would be cheaper to trade in your FZ, buy an R6, buy adjustable clipons and lower mounted pegs.

krushnuts

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What diameter are your forks?

43mm cartridge style, I think they're the same diameter as the r6r forks.

For the time and money this is going to cost it would be cheaper to trade in your FZ, buy an R6, buy adjustable clipons and lower mounted pegs.

My reason for doing this mod is 4 fold:
1. Stability/adjustability of the better forks.
2. A mini-project to keep the mechanical/work with hands part of my brain active (I'm a software developer)
3. To learn more about the mechanics of a motor vehicle - specifially motor bikes (I've always liked mechanical things, never pursued it much)
4. Last but not least - I am having a recurring dream where my bike is black with gold bits and the forks are the r6r inverted gold forks. I am obsessed lol

In my vision it looks like a hybrid naked r6 of sorts with gold turn signals, black/gold tomak mirrors, black/gold hand grips, gold bar ends and black triple clamp and 'bars (or clip ons not sure yet) - all from rizoma.

I really don't mind having to research things and am more than happy to involve others! ie, local bike mechanic, a machinist or other professionals.

Just gathering information at this stage, and hanging out for pay day to snapp up a good deal off ebay ;)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Go the Racetech mod if you want cheap......get springs & Gold Valve Emulatrors...costs about $350 in Australia....

If you want better brakes with 06 FZ6 forks, you are going to have to get adapters to fit just about any 4 pot calipers, as the pinchbolt gap on the 04-06 FZ6 forks is a rather odd number, like 73mm, or 91mm, (cant quite remember), But just about all 4 pot calipers out there seem to have a different pinchbolt gap, like 100mm, in most cases...from what i found out, anyway.

So to get better suspension, and better brakes, you can either find a set of 07-09 FZ6 forks, and get the 4 pot calipers that come with them standard, or get a set of 07-09 FZ6 forks, and find your own calipers....and dont worry the pinchbolt gap on the 07-09 FZ6 forks is 100mm (i think), same as R6 & R1 brake calipers..

This obave option is a lot cheaper in Oz, especially when if you can get a set of FZ6 forks cheap from Oversea's. like i did.

The other option is the best option, and the option you want to go with, and get some R6 forks.....others have done it, but they are super expensive to buy in Oz, even secondhand...like $1000+ and that doesnt include calipers....

I did it this way....

1. Bought secondhand 07-09FZ6 forks = $170 Aust.
2. Bought secondhand 05 R6 Brake Calipers (same as 07-09 FZ6 calipers) = $400 inc. precautionary overhaul)
3. Bought new black 07-09 FZ6 front fender = $200
4. Racetech Springs = $180
5. Racetech Goldvalve Emulators = $120
6. Fitting & Tuning of fork springs & emulators = $150 (mates rates)
7. Goodridge braided lines = $400 fitted
8. Ferodo sintered race pads = $70
9 Braking Wave Discs = $700

Hope that helps from an Aussie Perspective....i worked out if i went the R6 fork option in Australia, it was going to cost me about another $1000-$1200.

Here's what my front end looks like now....aint quite as blingy as golkd R6 forks...but it works real good!

View attachment 20158

:rockon:

krushnuts

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Go the Racetech mod if you want cheap......get springs & Gold Valve Emulatrors...costs about $350 in Australia....

Here's what my front end looks like now....aint quite as blingy as golkd R6 forks...but it works real good!

:rockon:

Mate, I really like your setup, I have no doubt that it has contributed to my own desire to customise my steel horse. I've been trawling ebay on a daily basis, and from what I've seen a full front end (minus the wheel) is going to set me back just about $1000 AUD. They are all 2nd hand forks, some include calipers, clip ons, levers, triple tree and axle. I'd imagine a few bucks spent having the seals re-checked and generally re-conditioned would be a good idea too.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mate, I really like your setup, I have no doubt that it has contributed to my own desire to customise my steel horse. I've been trawling ebay on a daily basis, and from what I've seen a full front end (minus the wheel) is going to set me back just about $1000 AUD. They are all 2nd hand forks, some include calipers, clip ons, levers, triple tree and axle. I'd imagine a few bucks spent having the seals re-checked and generally re-conditioned would be a good idea too.

If you can get the whole set up for $1000 i reckon that's awesome....As for buying anything like that secondhand, i would be making sure the forks are straight, dont have any "knicks" on the sliders, etc, and yes checking it all over , a quick "overhaul" to replace any broken, or worn bits, would be worthwile....i know that's what i did....even had the calipers re-painted as they were a little scuffed up.

Will say that the braided lines, and the lighter Wave discs both have also contibuted to better manners from the front end...

:thumbup:

tonup

Reaction score
Visit site
most front end swaps are fairly straight foward (assuming you get the whole front end forks, triples, calipers, wheel, axle) the two things to be looked are length of the forks if they are a good bit shorter you will most likely have to lower the rearend to compensate.
the next thing to be looked at is the steering stem length/width if the lengths are pretty close but the diameters are a little off just getting some new bearings in there will fix ya up and you'll be good to go
if the lengths aren't close but they have the same diameter press out the steering stem of the fz6 triple and press it into the r6r triple. however the upper part of the fz6 steering stem is thinner than most so a trip to the machine shop is most likely in order to make a shim for the upper r6r tripple
and if neither of the dimensions are close goto your machine shop and have them make you a steering stem

MRGM

Reaction score
Visit site
The R6R forks are the same length as the FZ6 forks. The steering stem needs to be reworked, or make a new one. If you use a R6R top triple clamp, you'll need a spacer to work with the smaller diameter of the steering stem on the FZ.

krushnuts

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ahh, ok Oso2k, they are thinner? then with that fork size I will need the whole front assembly, triple clamp & tree.

By the sounds of things I better start chatting to a machinist in my area - thank you tonup and MRGM for your tips :)

The 08 FZ6 has 4 pot calipers, will they fit onto the R6r forks? Perhaps I can save a bit by purchasing w/o the calipers, unsure how difficult this would make things, most of the units I've seen that come with the triple clamp/tree come with calipers as well. Hmmm...

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
Ahh, ok Oso2k, they are thinner? then with that fork size I will need the whole front assembly, triple clamp & tree.

Or look for 03-04 R6, 06+ R6S forks....

By the sounds of things I better start chatting to a machinist in my area - thank you tonup and MRGM for your tips :)
...and have your machinist make axle spacers and fender spacers. And pick up a set of R6/R6S wheels. I wouldn't imagine that the axle diameters will be the same if the wheels that different.

The 08 FZ6 has 4 pot calipers, will they fit onto the R6r forks? Perhaps I can save a bit by purchasing w/o the calipers, unsure how difficult this would make things, most of the units I've seen that come with the triple clamp/tree come with calipers as well. Hmmm...
Probably not. R6R calipers attach to inverted forks (aka upside down forks) while 08 FZ6 forks are standard forks.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Or look for 03-04 R6, 06+ R6S forks....

...and have your machinist make axle spacers and fender spacers. And pick up a set of R6/R6S wheels. I wouldn't imagine that the axle diameters will be the same if the wheels that different.

Probably not. R6R calipers attach to inverted forks (aka upside down forks) while 08 FZ6 forks are standard forks.

07-09 FZ6 brake calipers are the same as R6 calipers from 02-05...

R6 wheels from 02 - present fit all FZ6's.