R6 on FZ6 (Insert Evil Laugh Here)

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, in my quest for updating parts on my 2001 FZ1 project; I bought an 03' R6 Speedometer on a whim. The FZ1 came with an aftermarket speedometer/tachometer which was missing many of the key functions that I would like with a Cluster (Fuel gauge being the biggest). The stock 2001 FZ1 cluster is ginormous and difficult to find; hence the looking for other options.

That's only part of the story...The other part is that I was curious what it would take to make this bad-boy work on the FZ6...

As you can guess...it worked....and took very little effort!

Here are some teaser shots:

Mounted:
R6onFZ6001.jpg

Functioning!:
R6onFZ6003.jpg

Another Just For Fun:
R6onFZ6005.jpg

I want to run a few more tests and get some more information together before I "How-To".

That's all...Just wanted to Share!
:thumbup:

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: R6 on FZ6 (Insert Evil Laught Here)

Mods..Could you please fix my typo in the title? "Laught"...comon' now!:disapprove:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

:rockon: That looks so good!!! :BLAA:

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

:rockon: That looks so good!!! :BLAA:

Thank you :)

I quite like it myself. I am curious how well this would fit in the stock mounting position with a faired bike. Or, in the speedometer holder of an 06' FZ6 for that matter

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Could someone with a 2004 - 2006 do me a huge favor and measure the distance between the mount points on the bottom of your Speedo? (Picture Attached)

Much Appreciated:thumbup:

38089d1315599109-r6-fz6-insert-evil-laught-here-2006fz6gauge.jpg

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It was giving me trouble to correct it ,but I think i got it! Very Cool Cluster by the way!!! :rockon: :rockon::BLAA:

Thank you Sir! (On Both accounts)

I don't know that I would necessarily replace mine as the 07' speedo works well with the FZ1N headlight conversion. However, i think is is a great, inexpensive alternative to replacing a damaged unit on our bikes since the R6 Clocks are much more readily available. Could also be an upgrade from the 06' and earlier models.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you Sir! (On Both accounts)

I don't know that I would necessarily replace mine as the 07' speedo works well with the FZ1N headlight conversion. However, i think is is a great, inexpensive alternative to replacing a damaged unit on our bikes since the R6 Clocks are much more readily available. Could also be an upgrade from the 06' and earlier models.

Its a very good modification IMO I love to use factory components to mod bikes the quality is much higher than alot of the China made Cheapo mod parts.... :thumbup: :thumbup:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
If I still had my 06 FZ, I'd totally go for this. Way better looking and easier to read than the digital tach they were putting on those bikes.

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought about doing this before the 07 speedo mod but i think I saw that someone else tried and had a hard time making it work properly. Looking forward to the How To! :D

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you get the shift light to work too?

I'm not sure if you'll be able to but if you go into the set up mode in the speedo you can set the rpm that you want the light to come on at.

Nice mod, very cool.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you get the shift light to work too?

This is going to be part of the testing. Today was just to see if my understanding of the wiring schematic was correct. Next step is to test the speedo, tach, fuel gauge, and shift light (fingers crossed).

I am assuming that the shift light works off of the tachometer and gear indication. The gear indication is the part that I am unsure of.

on a somewhat related topic: Does anyone know how the aftermarket gear indicators function? It appears that they are a simple plug-&-play but I don;t know what "signal" they are reading to indicate the selected gear. Understanding this may help with having an actual functioning shift light.

Thank you all!

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
70mm :thumbup:

Could someone with a 2004 - 2006 do me a huge favor and measure the distance between the mount points on the bottom of your Speedo? (Picture Attached)

Much Appreciated

Dave in Houston

Reaction score
Visit site
It would be pretty cool if the "How to" would also give instructions on what to do on an '06 or earlier bike. I really don't care much for my LED tach.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Sweet!

I've been kicking around the idea of putting a 07+ gauge cluster on my 04 FZ6, but they seem to be expensive and hard to find. I imagine that the R6 gauge cluster will be a bit cheaper and more plentiful.

Consider me subscribed to this thread....

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Sweet!

70mm :thumbup:

Thank you Sir! A bit different than the mount pattern on the R6 unit but I think that it is workable.

It would be pretty cool if the "How to" would also give instructions on what to do on an '06 or earlier bike. I really don't care much for my LED tach.

I think that this is a very common complaint of the 06' and later bikes. I am actually looking to see if there is a supplier for the OEM Speedometer connectors. If I could find them; this could be as easy as plug-and-play!

Keep our fingers crossed!

I've been kicking around the idea of putting a 07+ gauge cluster on my 04 FZ6, but they seem to be expensive and hard to find. I imagine that the R6 gauge cluster will be a bit cheaper and more plentiful.

Consider me subscribed to this thread....

You hit the nail on the head with this one. Most of the 07'+ FZ6 units sell for $275 and more and show up about twice a year. On the other hand, the R6 speedometers are everywhere for prices starting around $150 (Many more people 'TracK' the R6 and have very little use for the speedo assembly).

I will keep everyone updated as I run more tests!

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone know how the aftermarket gear indicators function? It appears that they are a simple plug-&-play but I don;t know what "signal" they are reading to indicate the selected gear. Understanding this may help with having an actual functioning shift light.

Thank you all!

I believe that after market gear indicators work by comparing speed and rpm and from there calculating the gear selected (hence the reason why you have to calibrate them after install). Some bikes have a gear position "sensor", but I don't think the FZ6 is one of them.

I would have thought that the shift light would simply be sensing the RPM and coming on at a set value.

On a side note I test road a triumph speed triple at a triumph demo day and some joker had set the shift light at 5k !! Confused the heck out of me until I realised what the light meant :)