R6 on FZ6 (Insert Evil Laugh Here)

pyrc27

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 04 which I just bought and am working on fixing - it was updated to a digital speedometer from a newer FZ and am wondering if an R6 speedo would work with this setup since it was a digital....any thoughts/comments? thanks!

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 04 which I just bought and am working on fixing - it was updated to a digital speedometer from a newer FZ and am wondering if an R6 speedo would work with this setup since it was a digital....any thoughts/comments? thanks!

It is tough to tell without seeing the bike. However, Provided that they wired the stock speedometer connector properly, I think it could be done.

Do you have any photos of the install? A photo of the wiring harness would be very helpful as well.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
*Update*

Ran a few more tests today and....bad news, a few of the main components will not work without modification. The following seem to function without a hitch:
-Speedometer
-Neutral Indicator
-Temperature Gauge
-LH & RH Signal Indicators
-High-Beam Indicator
-Backlights

The following do not work:
-Fuel level Indicator
-Tachometer

It seems that the fuel level indicator and engine tachometer signals are completely different between the two bikes. There is another member here who has managed to get the tachometer working properly but the fuel level needs to be disabled. And, once those are fixed, the unit will shut down when the ECU runs the self-diagnostic on the gauge assembly.

Seems that this may be a lost cause (at least to me). I am sure there are ways around these issues but I sadly do not have the time these days to chase it around. Maybe someone else has more knowledge of the inner workings of the two bikes and would like to take this over.

Until then, no R6 Gauge :(

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Aww I just saw this thread and got my hopes up, I have long wanted an R6 cluster. Then I saw your last post:( Hopefully someone will pick up the torch and get the last two gauges figured out.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Bummer

I'm finally catching up on my forum posts after a week in Disney World, and this is a bummer.

I wonder what would be so different about the tach and fuel level signals from bike to bike?

I'm not sure I followed the part when you said:
The unit will shut down when ECU runs the self-diagnostic on the gauge assembly

Does it only shut down with the tach is hooked up, or are you saying that it shuts down on your bike, as is, with no tach or fuel gauge?