R6 header with side exit muffler

BlackAndBlue

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been searching around for details pertaining to putting an R6 header on the FZ6, but on all of the internet I have only found posts from two people that have done it. Both reported it to be a fairly easy job and that they liked the result. Has anyone else done it? are there any down sides? From my perspective so far, you can have an exhaust that looks better, sounds better, and weighs less than any FZ6 aftermarket exhaust options for about half the price or less. It may be more trouble to put on with the oil pan clearance issue and I guess you have to fabricate a bracket to hang the muffler from, then make the under tail of the bike look decent without the mufflers, but other than that, is there any reason not to put an R6 header on my FZ6?

I've been envying the bolt-on exhaust options available for a while and just can't bring myself to put so much $$ in something that is really only for sound without reluctance. Add a custom tune to the cost of the exhaust and you're in it for over $1000 for most of the pricier options. I saw 03-05 headers for $100 shipped and good R6 mufflers for around $100 shipped as well. That about wraps up the cost of the R6 header project does it not? Unless a little custom welding is necessary for a bracket which shouldn't run more than $50-70 around here which still keeps this under $300 for real performance gains from the much better header design.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The increased diameter of the header is to aid the removal of spent fuel at higher RPMs. Because its from a race bike, its expected that **most riding** is in the engines power band 9K on up.

That said, its **possible** you loose low end pull (torque) while under 7K. The R6 is geared lower throughout the entire drivetrain and pulls more RPM all the time for the same speeds as our FZ.

Bottom line: it depends on your riding style. If you ring it out constantly - this could be a win. If you commute, likely not the best application for that header...

JM2C - given I'd thought about it opted not to for those reasons.

BlackAndBlue

Reaction score
Visit site
Ultrarandom, that member is one of the two that I had seen post that they had done it. I read his thread about the header and I didn't seek him out because it seemed that he had said all that he had to say on the matter. I may do it anyway though to see if he has changed his conclusion any since that thread.

Good points FinalImpact. Thanks for the details. To be honest on the matter, the FZ6 is powerful enough for me already! I never turn down an easy gain, but my main motivation here is getting a good sound without spending big dual-can $$. Though if there is a loss, that could definitely terminate this idea. But gains up high would again turn me in favor of the header!

I was mainly posting just to hear from anyone else that has done it or researched it thoroughly that could shed light on any other difficulties/disadvantages to going this route.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6R exhaust are 1 3/8" on the primary tube if that can help. If I had a spare set of headers all modded we could give it a shot...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Primaries are the same as best I can tell - ID: 1.28" / OD: 1.32" The difference being FZs are longer and have some resemblance of a collector at the end.

BlackAndBlue

Reaction score
Visit site
It seems then that I will just have to try this out myself and see how it goes. The biggest deterrent is the clean up of the under-tail. My bike is such a good clean all-stock example that I hesitate to make any irreversible changes to it and I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to avoid that while I'm cleaning up the under-tail. But other than that, I figure that I can't go but so wrong with the low cost of that header. But I'll post back about how it goes of course once it's done.