R6 Front Fork Mods

tmkspy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all! I wonder if anyone can tell me what I need to find to convert my 2006 FZR to R6 front forks....I am trying to find all the good stuff, forks, rotors, calipers, etc. PLEASE HELP! Thanks in advance:confused:

tmkspy

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, and there was not enough information to learn enough about the mods. I got help from one person, but I would like to know more...where all the THOUSANDS of posts for this subject that you are talking about? I thank you for you help in advance...

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Soviet Robot listed everything required for it.

As Fred suggested, there's tons of threads here and on other forums with all the info you need. I read every thread on the internet on the subject 10 times over before I did it.

But if you want a quick reference here are the basics.

You need:

Forks, Brake Calipers, and Axle from a 2003-2004 R6, or 2006-2008 R6S

Shims for the axle and brake calipers, easily bought from mcmaster.com
P/N 98126A797 axle shims
P/N 93475A280 caliper spacers

For the fender adapters right now, there's no easy source right now, as all the ones that have been made are sold/in use.

For any more info search for the threads, and good luck!

I forget where I found this from, somewhere on this forum I believe. It is the dimensions for the fender adapter (04-06 only).

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Soviet Robot listed everything required for it.

I forget where I found this from, somewhere on this forum I believe. It is the dimensions for the fender adapter (04-06 only).

I made the .pdf. I'm in the process of having some kits available in a while for 04-06 as well as '07 and newer.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org

I would tend to agree with tmkspy on the available R6 mod information, while there are a lot of posts on this topic, there aren't any comprehensive How-to's.

I am thinking about doing this mod myself in the future and think it would be great if tmkspy were to document and write up a complete step-by-step how to on it.

Thanks.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1) Buy R6 forks and R6 brakes if 06 and older.
2) Buy washers for brakes, and axle
3) Remove old FZ6 forks
4) Install new forks and brakes

Can of corn, really.

Once you have the parts the fork only install is only 30 minutes, forks and bleeding brakes is about 60 to 90 minutes depending on how fast the brakes bleed up.

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
This is the next mod for me. I'm tired of the way the front end dives in on the corners, really makes me feel like the front end is going to wash out.
I feel like I could brake harder with stiffer forks as well... plus the gold looks wicked.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is the next mod for me. I'm tired of the way the front end dives in on the corners, really makes me feel like the front end is going to wash out.
I feel like I could brake harder with stiffer forks as well... plus the gold looks wicked.

They really are night and day. They glide over bumps compared to the stockers. :thumbup:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
They really are night and day. They glide over bumps compared to the stockers. :thumbup:

It really is amazing the difference, isn't it? By far the best performance mod I've done on my '06. The bike feels so much more planted and stable and you get so much more feedback from the front end.

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
My bad, thought they also were gold.
I'll be doing this in fall of next year when I get home from tour... Unless I find a smokin' deal on some this summer.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
No worries, CdnMedic! :thumbup: Just didn't want you buying a set of the inverted forks and finding out the hard way that you'd bit off a bigger deal than you thought you had.

Deals are definitely out there to be had on R6 and R6S forks, but usually you'll find the best deals during the winter months. I picked up my set, which included the forks and calipers, for ~$250 shipped on Ebay off an '07 R6S. Some have found them cheaper than that.

As far as installing them goes, I'm not very mechanically inclined, so I took the bike in to the dealer and had them do it. Of course, I was new to the bike and didn't want to screw something up, but now that I'm more astute at wrenching on it, I could definitely do it myself.

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm interested how my modded FZ6 forks ( Ohlins springs and oil ) compare to the R6 one's.

It's an awsome upgrade, but perhaps the R6 forks a still better. Plus you get 4pot calipers.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I'm interested how my modded FZ6 forks ( Ohlins springs and oil ) compare to the R6 one's.

It's an awsome upgrade, but perhaps the R6 forks a still better. Plus you get 4pot calipers.

I'm interested as well. I opted for Racetech internals and get it back from the shop today :) Maybe one day there will be a side-by-side comparison

bard

Secret Soi Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I am with MarinaFazer there, I ordered Racetech springs and emulator valves for front, and spring plus gold valve for the shock. It is not very expensive compared to say Ohlins shock and so on. It will be great to test it out, and if anyone ever manage to compare these mods it would be extremely interesting.

I don't find the stock very bad, they're mushy allright which should be solved with the emulator valves and gold valve. The springs are a tad soft for my bodyweight as well. So I am exited to test it out.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I am with MarinaFazer there, I ordered Racetech springs and emulator valves for front, and spring plus gold valve for the shock.

Hey Bard - let me know what you think of the valve for the rear shock. Racetech says we'll feel it while a guy at Catalyst Reaction said the rear would need a whole new shock (like Ohlins) to make a difference...let us know!