R6 fork mod warning

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Keep an eye on your fender. At least on the pre 07s it is possible for the new fender brackets to move enough and cause the fender to rotate backwards. Depending on the tread of the tire it may be enough to touch.

Even after really torquing them down during install the wind resistance of the fender was enough to move the brackets.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
This can't happen on the 07+ bikes because of the way the fender wraps around the front of the forks. Makes me glad I have one.

Fred

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
Keep an eye on your fender. At least on the pre 07s it is possible for the new fender brackets to move enough and cause the fender to rotate backwards. Depending on the tread of the tire it may be enough to touch.

Even after really torquing them down during install the wind resistance of the fender was enough to move the brackets.

What are you talking about? I put on 5000 miles with the R6 fork mod and the stocker fender and never had that happen to me. And I rode on some really rough LA freeways.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Was that with tabs on necro? I heard talk of somehow fitting the fender without them but wasn't able to with mine, I could only get two bolts to ever line up simultaneously, which led to me putting an R6 fender on instead. With only two bolts it easily pivoted, even just by hand.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I dont have pictures but on the pre 06 the rear bolts go into the same holes as normal. For the front holes there are two spacers/tabs required. These spacers should be installed perpendicular to the ground, in effect moving the holes forward. However it IS possible for the spacers to rotate upwards from horizontal (the rear bolts are the pivot point for the fender) if everything is not super tight.

On mine my problem is increased because the forks were damaged in shipping so I only have one bolt for the front of my fender but this could happen even if you have all four points secured.

Airhead

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I used a fiberglass R6 fender that had no holes in it. I did a little extra fiberglass work to make it fit perfectly between the forks but I would think with some rubber grommets it could be fitted up with just screws and no fiberglass work. Mine has never had any problems with shifting around in 10,000 miles or so.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I am using an OEM R6 fender and while the grommits will allow the fender to fit, it is VERY close and when the road isn't perfect you can hear gravel and stuff scraping the inside. With a little plastic putty and a file/sanding paper, you can move the holes down a few mm, which I have put about 1000 miles on since doing with no downside.