R6 fork mod pics

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought some 08 R6S forks and calipers off of ebay and installed them.
I got part of the fender on there w/ zip ties, but I'm 99.999% done.
The fender is a little tricky. A bolt almost vibrated off while on a test ride.
I think we got it covered, now. :thumbup:
Thanks to goker who pretty much did all the work. :D
Also thx to CrazyBiker and Airhead for the mounts and shims.

It was hot (90F), humid and sunny, but it's finally done.
It took a little longer because I insisted on a spark plug change. :D

Take a look at the pics (attached). I included an old pic of my bike before the mod, even before the SS brake line mod.
You can see in the new pics the nice blue anodized caps on my forks, and gold pot covers on the caliper. Slick. :rockon:
These parts are way too high-end for the type of riding I do. :D

Impressions:
I think the rebound and dampening is better than my stock 06 fz6 with 14,000 miles; my bike does feel better than my stock forks with the old oil in it. There is much less dive during hard braking. I feel much more planted while speeding over hills. I set the new forks on the "standard" rebound and dampening settings. Goker rode my bike and commented that he didn't feel any difference between his bike and mine. I think it's because he has a new FZ6 with not as many miles. So I could've just changed my fork oil, if all I am doing is keeping the r6 forks at their standard settings.
I will mess around with the settings soon. But for basic street riding that require standard settings, I think simply replacing the fork oil would have been sufficient. Maybe more experienced members can chime in here....

The bike brakes well with the 4 pot calipers. Nice and firm. Better than with the old calipers. But i am not sure if it's because i also included new and better brake pads (carbone lorraine sbk5). I think the suspension also plays a part, since there is much less dive during hard braking.
When I had the old, crummy 06 calipers with the SS lines, I pretty much had "two finger" braking. With the new calipers, I'm still on "two finger" braking.
Which is good. I'll leave "one finger" braking to the track junkies.

So new fork oil and stainless steel lines with better brake pads would've given the same or close result, with much less expense.
Just FYI, if you're thinking of doing this mod.

Don't get me wrong, overall I am very happy! (See? :D )
I hate those ugly 06 brakes. BTW, those 06 brakes are on the new FZ6R. What a POS!! :D

Last edited:

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good mate :)

The standard suspension you have on your bike is that the same as the newer S2 models ? I have a 2009 FZ6N and been reading these suspension threads and now wondering if just changing the oil is what I need.

Also was there much needed to be done to install the 08 forks ? I thought that type was very different to our suspension and needed major work to be installed (Are they cartridge type forks ?)

Russell

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking good :thumbup:
I just need to find some R6 forks,that aren't made of gold (Well,looking at the prices on Ebay,you'd think they were!) :D

jbwaterman84

Born to ride
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good! I kinda wish I would've bought the calipers as well for the gold inserts but already had the 4 pots with the 08 bike. I also don't do a lot of the type of riding that would really benefit from having a fully adjustable front end, but do find the faster turn in to be useful :) Great job with the conversion and hope you enjoy it

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good mate :)

The standard suspension you have on your bike is that the same as the newer S2 models ? I have a 2009 FZ6N and been reading these suspension threads and now wondering if just changing the oil is what I need.

Also was there much needed to be done to install the 08 forks ? I thought that type was very different to our suspension and needed major work to be installed (Are they cartridge type forks ?)

Russell

I believe our suspension setups are the same. The 06 fz6 is the same as the 07+. I think the base of the forks are black on the newer ones. Internally they are the same.

Here's a link to help you get started on the fork mod. It didn't take too much time. Nothing major once you get all the parts and shims.
R6 Fork Mod Instructions Revived - Sportbikes.net

Yes the R6/R6s forks are cartridge forks.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good! I kinda wish I would've bought the calipers as well for the gold inserts but already had the 4 pots with the 08 bike. I also don't do a lot of the type of riding that would really benefit from having a fully adjustable front end, but do find the faster turn in to be useful :) Great job with the conversion and hope you enjoy it

Your brakes are good. It's just a color change.
But those 06 and earlier brakes were just nasty.
I can't believe Yamaha is selling those on the new FZ6R !!

yeah the faster turn in is something i need to get used to.
I wonder why they turn into the corners faster...? Anybody know??