R6 engine to match FZ6?

JoKe

Reaction score
www.motorsyklisten.no
Just wondering, since there is people in here with good nowledge of the fz, what kind of year R6 engine will fit/share engine block with the fz?? I have a cracked engine mounth on the right side.The frame is altso torn in the mounting, but have peeled the bike down, and have a friend with the knowledge to weld up the frame. But when I took the engine out of the bike I discovered that the "eye" on the engine where it bolts to the frame is also broken. No leaks though so my first thought was to weld this up as well. But now I have found an engine from a 99-2000 model R6 with a bad top end for sale very cheap in my area. My question is this; will this engine fit my bike?? Thinking about using the complete bottom half of the R6 engine and the rest from my farely fresh fz engine. What problems could I suspect to encounter??

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
I have partly looked into this, the engine the FZ6 is based on the engine from the 03-05 Yamaha R6 or the R6S in the US i believe. I dont think your bottom end will work with the 99-2000 top end as this is the carbed version of the R6 engine the gen1.

And i know although the only difference between the 03-05 R6 engine between the FZ6 is the cams and i believe the ECU they mounting points are also slightly off but i believe a 03-05 R6 top end may slip onto the bottom end of the FZ6 you are still either going to need to welt the mounting tab back on or source a whole new FZ6 engine.

Some of the guys here will chime in to.

JoKe

Reaction score
www.motorsyklisten.no
Okay, so if I understand you correct even if I find a right year R6 engine, it still would not fit with the mounting points on the frame. Guess I give it a crack at welding then..

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, so if I understand you correct even if I find a right year R6 engine, it still would not fit with the mounting points on the frame. Guess I give it a crack at welding then..
I remember a few members looking at doing this in 2007-08. The frame mounting points were a topic for discussion and sadly seemed to be incompatible.
I also believe that you would need to switch out the ECU as the cam and ignition timings are different to the FZ6. Now I am pulling the electrical bits from memory. A search is well worth doing. I don't think the swap is impossible but it would probably cost you the guts of a decent second hand R6 to do. Engine mounting point definitely different.

neil

JoKe

Reaction score
www.motorsyklisten.no
Okay guys, thanks for clearing this issue for me! I will try to weld the sucker up, and if not I have found a breaker in Italy who has a couple of engine cases for sale (used)

Here`s a try to upload a photo: (I suck at the internet so forgive me if it does not show)

Of1B-NpSsDnpdeWf9vV3qs57rdJ2ie7svVci6j0C8WM

Plan to make a tread about the whole project when I get a little more in to it :cheer: