R1 shock punch list

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to the work done by Hellgate, FinalImpact and DHoback, we know that it's possible to fit an R1 shock onto the FZ6. However, I'm still confused on exactly what I'd need. This is what I believe I need along with some questions:

- 01-04 R1 shock
- Aftermarket R1 shock preload adjuster
- FZ6 spring

I've read that apparently you have to have the R1 shock revalved to accomodate the heavier spring of the FZ6, however I'm not sure where to do that, or what to even ask. I would imagine most shops that do this kind of work will set the valving for a particular rider's weight on that particular bike, but in this case we are moving the shock to a different bike with different geometry which would have an impact of the valving. Not sure how much this would cost or who to go to.

If the mod can be done without revalving, this would be ideal. I'm about 175 without gear.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the R1 shock before getting the ohlins. I left mine stock except for shaving the collar 5mm to adjust for the excessive preload. I cut my rear hugger to fit the reservoir, you will need to swap the lower bearing as well. I had two seasons plus 2 track days and felt it worked fine.

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
beatle, I ended up with Motojoe122's R1 shock, put the FZ6 spring on it and it's close enough for my aggressive-but-no-more-trackdays riding style.

I'm about 175 without gear, sag was proper for me at the 3rd lowest setting on the stock R1 collar. The R6 forks setup with this shock make it a much better bike all around, settles the bike down tremendously making it a lot more trustworthy in the corners on these crappy PA roads. Revalving would make it even better, but I'm good for now.

FinalImpact's writeup and pics are fantastic, plus his advice is invaluable.

Just do it.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
No doubt this is a way to save $$$ over an Ohlins, but I'm trying to budget for the R6 forks as well - trying to get a picture of how much the entire suspension upgrade will cost.

Are the springs swappable between the shocks by someone with a spring compressor? My goal would be to swap the R1 shock in and swap it back out for stock when I go to sell the bike. If I have to pay someone to swap the spring, that's something else to consider in the budget.

Last edited:

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
No doubt this is a way to save $$$ over an Ohlins, but I'm trying to budget for the R6 forks as well - trying to get a picture of how much the entire suspension upgrade will cost.

Are the springs swappable between the shocks by someone with a spring compressor? My goal would be to swap the R1 shock in and swap it back out for stock when I go to sell the bike. If I have to pay someone to swap the spring, that's something else to consider in the budget.

Yes, the spring is easily swappable, but you'll end up paying $25-$35 for it each time. For that, you can buy a decent spring compressor and do it yourself as often as needed.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How much do you weigh? How much different is the Ohlins shock? That's my main competition.

I'm about 190 without gear. It has a remote reservoir, adjustable collar, and much more fine tuned than stock. My reasons for getting it is because I don't have the time and/or resources like F/I did. Plus, tax season was good this year and the wife gave me the go ahead. She got new tires and brakes got her car.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually completed my R1 shock install today (fine tuned the rebound and compression damping settings) and it's like I bought a brand new bike. The thing rides on rails now and is so predictable even with uneven terrain mid-corner.

The only thing I have to add to your list is that you don't want to forget the upper bushing!! It's a cheap part to buy new and pretty important for good performance. Also, the stock bushing on the R1 shock will NOT fit, so you need to change it anyway.