R1 pod light install

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I searched briefly and didn't see a thread for this already. The recent threads about this mod got me wanting to do it too. Now I already had an R1 headlight from a 2002 R1 I've been parting out, so this was free to me. :D But here's the link to bikebandit for the part used. It's #5 on the schematic.

2002 Yamaha YZFR1P YZF-R1 OEM Parts, 2002 Yamaha YZFR1P YZF-R1 OEM Replacement Parts - BikeBandit.com

I used a razor blade and trimmed out the opening in the headlamp. Squeeze the bulb and holder through the hole and your done! I left the clear bulbs in so this'll be just another light for now.

EDIT: I just found a thread that had info on this already. It didn't come up when I searched through the 20 pages of results.

Old thread

mailgooglecom5047332.jpg

mailgooglecom5070635.jpg

mailgooglecom5085260.jpg

Last edited:

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
You were able to but the hole for the pod light with a razor blade? If so, awesome...I've been trying to find a bit that would make the right size hole but that would be way easier.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
looks great and +1 about cutting the hole out with a Razor blade? i have been trying to figure out how to get my unibit in there to drill it out. A Razor would be way easier.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
I searched briefly and didn't see a thread for this already. The recent threads about this mod got me wanting to do it too. Now I already had an R1 headlight from a 2002 R1 I've been parting out, so this was free to me. :D But here's the link to bikebandit for the part used. It's #5 on the schematic.

2002 Yamaha YZFR1P YZF-R1 OEM Parts, 2002 Yamaha YZFR1P YZF-R1 OEM Replacement Parts - BikeBandit.com

I saw this mod somewhere along the line and thought it looked cool, but forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me about it!

I used a razor blade and trimmed out the opening in the headlamp. Squeeze the bulb and holder through the hole and your done! I left the clear bulbs in so this'll be just another light for now.

You were able to but the hole for the pod light with a razor blade? If so, awesome...I've been trying to find a bit that would make the right size hole but that would be way easier.

looks great and +1 about cutting the hole out with a Razor blade? i have been trying to figure out how to get my unibit in there to drill it out. A Razor would be way easier.

I guess I'll have to try it, but unless the plastic is pretty soft, cutting a decent round hole with a razor blade sounds really tough to me. In my experience, the following equation usually applies:

sharp tool + high effort to use = blood

In any case, I just ordered the pod light holders, so I guess I'll figure it out. I have not decided exactly how I might use them, i.e., running lights, turn signals, both, etc. I think I saw someone mention in another thread the possibility of installing them as running lights, modulated during the day with a headlight modulator. I bought a headlight modulator a while back, but never got around to installing it. I had kind of decided I probably would not install it, for a couple of reasons. First, I couldn’t decide if I would wire it up to flash both lights or just one, and second, worry over the issue of it confusing/annoying motorists, i.e., hurting more than helping. But flashing the pod lights should not confuse motorists, and it should be easy to wire them up, so I am strongly considering this. Any thoughts on the concept? I know that headlight modulators are legal in all 50 states, would this include running lights in the headlight housings? I would use white bulbs. (Not that I am overly concerned about legality, but would prefer not to give an LEO an excuse to pull me over.)

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is what I used. Put a narrow piece of masking tape around the bit at the step you want to stop drilling. And go SLOW as this thing will eat that plastic in a hurry.
View attachment 20193

drkseed70

Reaction score
Visit site

Just go to any hardware store and get a hole saw. I think I used a 3/8 or maybe 5/8. Take you pod light w/ you to check the size. you definitly want the hole to be just large enough to fit the lights through. I have the LED pod lights. I also used the small screws that came with the kit to secure the pods into place. Remember to drill your holes slowly! Connect your wires wit the turn signals. I took mine off so I just have the pods.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a similar one that i am planning on using!

So, when are we doing yours? ;)

I'm headed north (solo) for the weekend but if you need the garage, Mich, Briana and Stephen are there. You're welcome to the space and tools.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, when are we doing yours? ;)

I'm headed north (solo) for the weekend but if you need the garage, Mich, Briana and Stephen are there. You're welcome to the space and tools.

This weekend is slammed for me, and i do not have the parts, I also think that when i do it i will just be doing the turn signals and not running lights.

I have a bit of maintenance for the bikes before the VT meet as well, so all "New" mods are on hold until general maintenance is done :p

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know what you mean about slammed...

This weekend - central Maine
Next weekend - CT
following weekend - VT Bike tour! :cheer:
the following weekend - family coming in... no riding!
the last weekend in Aug - FZ1 bike tour
First week in Sept - biking to Michigan with the wife for a week!
third weekend in Sept - Bri's shower weekend
following weekend - Bri's shower in Maine
last weekend in Sept - Probably shoveling snow with the way THIS year's weather has been!

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I couldn't find my uni-bit so I popped in a new blade in the knife and went real slow. I made cuts like I was cutting around a stop sign, and on the last section I notched it slightly before making the full cut. Then with a small screwdriver I pulled the small piece away from the headlight as I was cutting the last piece. This way nothing could fall into the headlight and piss me off. :D

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have a uni-bit...was going to buy one but couldn't find one for under $20. I have boring bits, not sure what those will do with plastic - I drilled some test holes in some scrap boards and 5/8 is ridiculously close but a little bit too small and 3/4 is too big...I'm not using R1 pods, I picked up a couple auto 194 pods for $5 off ebay - they look the same size though.

Last edited: