quick question on tire replacement

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Fellow Riders,

I have finally came back from overseas and I was there for couple of months so I have not logged on forum ever since. Well back in states and on the bike. WOOWWWHHHHOOO...yeah...hehe.

I have a quick question for the experts. I have pirelli diablo stradas on my bike now and I love them but I have a nail in the middle of the rear tire. I don't want to get it patched up, and I have now about 6000 miles on them and they still look good. I have to replace them for a piece of mind. I want to replace them with new generation of Pirelli Angel ST and I only want to replace rear. Front still looks good and I can get another 5000 miles easy. Would it be wise if I only replace the rear only with a brand new tire, and later replace the front next season? I don't even want to replace rear but I have to. I know many would say replace in pairs but I don’t want to spend extra money for nothing.
Advice is appreciated.
Thanks.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I think you would be OK doing what you've described.

As long as both front and rear tires are similar compounds and have the same application, I think you'll be fine. Example... if your existing front tire and planned rear replacement are both sport-touring tires, they should work well together.

However, if the front is a sport touring, and you replace the rear tire with a super sticky racing composition tire, you're going to run into problems. In this case, the grip generated by the front tire will likely be overcome by the rear tire. In that situation, bad things can happen and shiny parts start getting scraped up.

Like I said, I'm not an expert so please take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

PAULED

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Fellow Riders,

I have finally came back from overseas and I was there for couple of months so I have not logged on forum ever since. Well back in states and on the bike. WOOWWWHHHHOOO...yeah...hehe.

I have a quick question for the experts. I have pirelli diablo stradas on my bike now and I love them but I have a nail in the middle of the rear tire. I don't want to get it patched up, and I have now about 6000 miles on them and they still look good. I have to replace them for a piece of mind. I want to replace them with new generation of Pirelli Angel ST and I only want to replace rear. Front still looks good and I can get another 5000 miles easy. Would it be wise if I only replace the rear only with a brand new tire, and later replace the front next season? I don't even want to replace rear but I have to. I know many would say replace in pairs but I don’t want to spend extra money for nothing.
Advice is appreciated.
Thanks.

Just had the Pirelli Angel ST fitted couple hours ago :thumbup: Went with front and rear for piece of mind. Dare say I could of got some more mileage out of the front, but like I said for my own "piece of mind". Just need to get them scrubbed in now :thumbup:

SDC12395.jpg

Last edited:

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Just had the Pirelli Angel ST fitted couple hours ago :thumbup: Went with front and rear for piece of mind. Dare say I could of got some more mileage out of the front, but like I said for my own "piece of mind". Just need to get them scrubbed in now :thumbup:

SDC12395.jpg

Uhh they look good mounted. I like that look. Super nice. Let us know more once you have some miles on them.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's more important to match profile than anything else. Which you will be doing, both being sport-tourers. I generally wear through 2 rears to 1 front, there are no issues doing what you're planning.