Questions about used FZ6

Gyroscopic

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone, I'm looking for something to do some sport touring on with my wife and have concluded that the FZ6 is one of a few possibilities. I've found a used FZ6 for a decent price however it does have some damage. As I've never dropped/downed a motorcycle I don't have any idea what is typically involved in a crash. The owner told me it was dropped on the grass but I think it's pretty clear this has hit pavement. I'm going to attach a few pictures he sent so that maybe some of you could comment on the damage, things you see, and what else could be damaged broken that is not clear in the pictures.

Thanks,

RJ

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
All I can say is the rash on the fairing would be fairly expensive to make perfect..... essentially, you would have to replace that part (which is the main body of the fairing.) Grass can have gravel in it; this could be the result of a 20 MPH biff into the shoulder of a road.

It's quite possible that this did hit very very lightly... you'd expect to see some damage on the turn signal stalks, the foot pegs, the piece below the seat, the grab rail if it hit harder/longer.

This is the sort of damage I would expect to see if someone had 'sliders' mounted on their bike, to limit damage in a crash. The slider is a sacrificial piece, that extends out from the frame far enough to ensure it hits first, and wears, instead of the more important bits of the bike.

What year is the bike, what is the offered sale price, what sort of mileage..... And can you live with the fairing rash?

Looking as closely as I can at the photos provided, it (the damage) doesn't appear too serious to me. It would take a close personal inspection to make sure the bars weren't bent, the fork was in proper alignment, there were no engine oil leaks, or weeping seals on the suspension... a good look at the chain to see if it's adjusted correctly (indicates whether the routine maintenance has been done) condition of engine oil, the sound of the motor at idle, how much smoke the motor makes.....

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
It's hard to tell from the 3rd photo.. but is that a large dent? That would certainly be a consideration but certainly fixable

Gyroscopic

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately the bike isn't close, about a 5 hour drive away. It has under 1,000 miles and the asking price is $4,000. Not sure how I feel about the rash, the first picture I posted seems skewed to me after looking for a while. Seems like the turn indicators aren't symmetrical. Price is certainly below the retail book value which is important for me in a private sale, I'm just not sure if it's far enough below book value for me to drive 5 hours with the trailer in tow to potentially not go home with a bike due to hidden damage not evident in the photos.

Thanks, I'll sleep on it.

peterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
All I can say is the rash on the fairing would be fairly expensive to make perfect..... essentially, you would have to replace that part (which is the main body of the fairing.)

Looks like it's just the mole / eyebrow to me and I bought one from ronayers for 60 beans.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately the bike isn't close, about a 5 hour drive away. It has under 1,000 miles and the asking price is $4,000. Not sure how I feel about the rash, the first picture I posted seems skewed to me after looking for a while. Seems like the turn indicators aren't symmetrical. Price is certainly below the retail book value which is important for me in a private sale, I'm just not sure if it's far enough below book value for me to drive 5 hours with the trailer in tow to potentially not go home with a bike due to hidden damage not evident in the photos.

Thanks, I'll sleep on it.

I'd want much higher detailed pictures, before I started thinking about a 5 hour journey to look at it.

Yamaha OEM Parts, Yamaha OEM Motorcycle Parts - BikeBandit.com

Type in what year the bike is, then the model (FZ600ST)and then look at the prices for the parts that appear to need to be replaced.

Zooming in on the photos you have here, even with how grainy they are, you can see wrinkles in the gas tank. The frontal shot looks like there is a crack in the main fairing body, as well as the rash on the side of the 'ear' outside of the left headlight.

The labels on the photos are pretty telling....'fairing rash', 'front rash', 'side rash', 'tailrash'. The images are too low quality for me to see the side and tail rash. You can't see the swingarm, or the engine cases, or the footpegs, or the lower leg of the fork. You're right, it looks like the left side turn signal stalk is shorter than the right side.

If you are serious about this particular bike, ask the guy to get a repair estimate from a shop, and have him photocopy it for you.

1000 miles on a bike is essentially brand new, but if it's going to take more than a 1,000 in parts to make it right, is it worth it?

You can certainly find an '07 for less than 6K, with less than 10K miles on it, and have it very nearly mint.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd want much higher detailed pictures, before I started thinking about a 5 hour journey to look at it.

Yamaha OEM Parts, Yamaha OEM Motorcycle Parts - BikeBandit.com

Type in what year the bike is, then the model (FZ600ST)and then look at the prices for the parts that appear to need to be replaced.

Zooming in on the photos you have here, even with how grainy they are, you can see wrinkles in the gas tank. The frontal shot looks like there is a crack in the main fairing body, as well as the rash on the side of the 'ear' outside of the left headlight.

The labels on the photos are pretty telling....'fairing rash', 'front rash', 'side rash', 'tailrash'. The images are too low quality for me to see the side and tail rash. You can't see the swingarm, or the engine cases, or the footpegs, or the lower leg of the fork. You're right, it looks like the left side turn signal stalk is shorter than the right side.

If you are serious about this particular bike, ask the guy to get a repair estimate from a shop, and have him photocopy it for you.

1000 miles on a bike is essentially brand new, but if it's going to take more than a 1,000 in parts to make it right, is it worth it?

You can certainly find an '07 for less than 6K, with less than 10K miles on it, and have it very nearly mint.

Yes and I'm kinda thinking that the tank damage is kind of severe for a drop in the grass......

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
If someone were planning on making a 'naked' out of an FZ 6... this would be a reasonable place to start. But I can't see how the current owner is anywhere near right side up on their loan; and if they paid cash they really don't understand how 'flat' the market is. Emotionally, I know what my '05 with 25K miles (with some scuffing on the cases, and rub marks, and some rust) was worth to me.... and it was not what the market would pay me for it. This one is in worse shape, in my view. A fuel tank is spendy, but gutting your current tank to move the pump, replacing the fairing bits, who knows what else.....

If the current owner didn't even make it 1,000 miles without wrinkling it up.... how well do you suppose it's been taken care of since?

Knabel

Reaction score
Visit site
My rule of thumb...

If I am looking to purchase something I don't NEED and I get the feeling they are lying to me, I walk away.
Here's why.
If they are, I'll be irritated about that for a long time to come. I have plenty to be irritated about already.
Also, if they lied / exaggerated the damage, what else are they not telling you about?

It may be a decent deal, but the risks are just Way too high for me.

BTW, I bought by 2009 NEW for $6,500 (including tax, title and license) last summer. Just something to think about...

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
according to me if a bike is dropped on grass it sinks in the soil not get that kind of rash. it s a low speed slide to me. the front fairining can be repaired (the crack bit- the rash is a bit more difficult to cure as some has already stated. also check for the inner fairing panels (the black finishers that hide wires just behind the fairing. they are easily damaged and clips can be easily broken.. headlight brackets tend to break as well.. i had a low speed slide and a bracket on the headlight broke

Gyroscopic

Reaction score
Visit site
Where are you in maine and where is the bike? I'm in the bangor area and might be closer (able to go take a look)

I'm actually not currently in Maine, temporarily in New Jersey but thanks very much for the offer.

I've decided to pass on the bike, the photo labels, to the seller's credit, were tagged by me, when he sent them they only had generic numeric names. Also, the tank does not seem to be crinkled to me and he assured me that it is in pristine condition. When I look at it I only see an odd reflection of the seller and something else (Possibly a couple of lights) in the background. I just don't believe that damage occurred as a result of a fall in grass and if the seller isn't honest about that, what else is he being dishonest about.

Thanks for all of your help!

RJ

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
No problem and good luck on the bike search. I can assure you that the fz6 is a great bike and you'll have a blast on one. Ride safe

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
There are (were?) several bikes for sale here in the forum in clean condition $$, I would consider having a clean one shipped in from out of state (~$500) before buying a wrecked one. But with spring here they might have been sold.

And there are leftovers floating around at dealers, you can get a good deal on a new one with a warranty, $1500+ off is possible with some haggling at the right dealer.

IMO I would suggest a 2007+ there were some nice improvements to the bike then including instrumentation, new closed loop FI system, new rear swingarm, improved brakes, some cosmetic changes, etc. My 08 has been flawless!