Question regarding FZ6 current Cruiser rider.

tlegend

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All,

I am in the market for a 2007+ FZ6 primarily for commuting and running errands around town, will not be doing long commutes or rides.

I use to own a 2002 cbr F4i and 2004 cbr 600rr both uncomfortable rides.

I went to the cruiser side after having kids and growing old, use to own a 2007 Honda Shadow spirit 750dc, not enough power so i sold that and picked up a 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom.

I want to switch to a sport/touring bike i was leaning towards a SV 650 Naked or the FZ6, but like the center exhaust and fuel injection on the FZ since it is similar to my 600rr.

i am looking for a upright comfortable sports/naked looking bike i am 5 8 and around 210 lbs.

Questions for you.

1.) Will fz6 be enough power coming from a Vulcan 900 and my weight and height? or should i move to fz1. ( if i go to Fz1 is it as nimble and comfortable as fz6)?

2.) Besides few changes i was told 2004-2006 fz6 are same and changes occurred from 2007-2009. Is it really worth it to get a 2007+? Also in Northern California what is a average price for 2007+ I am looking at on on CL in my area 2008 fz6 with 2k miles for $5500

3.) Will Fz6 or fz1 really the most comfortable sports/touring bike keeping in mind price range and looks.

thx for your help

Last edited:

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
In my opinion the sv650 is much more crouched over then the fz6. Plenty of power especially if its just around town.

I would look on here for an fz6, one near you in mint condition 2007 sold for around 4k.

As far as comfort i think it changes from rider to rider. IM still tinkering to get the most comfortable ride im down to trying out new bars. But the good thing about the sv or the fz6 is lots of mods available to make it perfect for you. :rockon:

No experience on an fz1, but welcome to the forum!!

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1st. Welcome to the forum:welcome:

Power wise where you owned a 600 RR you already know higher rev range means power, same is true for FZ6.

Comfort wise this bike IMO fits just about everyone with a few mods and tweaks.

I think price wise the older models can be had for a song with low miles and good condition. Post 06 models have the O2 sensor and a few improvements though minor.

The FZ1 is definitely more powerful and better grunt, handling wise not sure but you'll here about that from owners shortly.

Good luck in your decision.

Also this forum has the best group of helpful people you'll find anywhere, which really adds to FZ6 experience!:D

tlegend

Reaction score
Visit site
thx you for quick responses..

anyone a cruiser rider, how does comfort and power feel on the fz6, i am not the one to go 140+ on a corner just want pickup power from the line.

for example on my 600rr i use to hit 100MPH all the time, on my cruiser i can hit 60 MPH and be happy.

I guess i am looking for a cruiser type sports/naked/touring bike.. :BLAA:

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
a simple google search shows your vulcan makes mid 50's hp, weighs almost 600lbs and a few guys commented it runs 14's in the 1/4 mile. the fz6 makes mid 90's hp, runs high 11's and weighs 400lbs.

i find it an extremely easy bike to ride, i paid $3800 for mine in mint condition last summer with under 2000 miles on it and the bike will handle significantly better than a cruiser.

i would buy the newest one you can afford. yes the fz1 will be SIGNIFICANTLY more power.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
As far as comfort and power imo there isnt a better combo then the fz6, since you already ride then surely your rear is already used to riding and the fz6 seat is among the only complaints about comfort other then the handle bars. I weigh the same as you and i find the stock seat comfortable even after 3+hrs, but im sure a upgraded seat would be much better. The handle bars tend to put your wrist in a bind and become very uncomfortable after 50miles. $40 fix by buying fz1 bars and a huge improvement. As far as the power goes, if your used to riding a 900 twin or 600rr, you will probably be a little disappointed at first with the off the line tq, but if you dont mind reving the bike more...it can scare you, and turn you on at the same time. All in all they are great bikes no matter what year, the newerones seemto have a little smoother throttle but it would be a great bike for your situation

Dave in Houston

Reaction score
Visit site
Cycle-ergo.com is useful to get an idea of how a bike will fit you. It helped me to decide on the FZ6. I liked the torque of a friend's SV650, but the riding position was too aggressive for me.

I also liked the smoothness of the FZ's 4 cylinder engine.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My 09, she will be turning a year this morrow. :cheer:

I do a lot of different riding ranging from work commute, getting lost and finding my way home, errands around town, short day rides, and MUCH longer rides to Erci's house and back...400-500 mile ride in a day.

Imho, the fz6 is two bikes in one, docile under 8 grand and perfect for around town. Open her up over 8 and she's a rocketship!

There is just so much you can do to with this bike!

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
5'9", 30" inseam, 48 years old and 200 lbs (for now) here. My first bike 3 years ago was a 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom (candy burnt orange). Quickly found it too underpowered and buzzy at highway speeds and traded it. In the next 3 years I went through a 2008 Concours 14, Versys, Honda ST1300, 2009 FZ6, and Honda VTX1800. I traded the FZ6 for the ST1300 last December since I regularly carried loads and felt I needed the bigger bike.

I still have the ST1300, but just sold the VTX1800 so I could buy ANOTHER 2009 FZ6, identical to the one I had before. Have bought all my bikes new. The FZ6 will let you beat every production automobile off the line with ease, is smooth power, and becomes a beast at 7K rpm or so.

I test rode 3 FZ1s in the last 2 months and while fun they scare me a little. As a nationally ranked competitive defensive pistol shooter I have good impulse control with my reflexes, and the FZ1 would take some easing into. Of course I may have to sell the ST13 eventually and get an FZ1 and add the touring accoutrements....:cool:. Comparing the FZs, the FZ6 has a bigger gas tank and gets better mpgs, so I go 175 or so before reserve with its 5.1(?) tank. The FZ6 riding position is less aggressive. Insurance costs, under tail exhaust, and on and on..... Sit on an FZ6 and ride if you can. You'll be sold.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: You're asking the right crowd, I doubt you'll get many folks who dislike the FZ6. The undertail exhaust caught my eye right away and the FI was a bonus.

I'm an "older" rider too and did not want to stay hunched over while riding. The FZ6 is plenty powerful for me and very nimble, imho. Of course 40+ years riding experience on the dirt and road probably helps.

I have an 06, but I like the tach and speedometer of the 07+, but not enough to swap it out. Drive one, if you haven't and see what you think. And spend a lot of time on this forum. This is the friendliest, most helpful forum I've been on.

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome. I switched from cruisers - VS800 and Aero 1100 - two years ago and haven't looked back. The ergos of the FZ6 are spot on with no neck or shoulder fatigue. I use it to commute and do some longer trips including camping the past two seasons. Plenty of power, comfort, and a great cruising range. I had it through about 15 miles of very heavy weather this summer and it felt very secure. Good luck. And I have an '06 that had a tough life before I got it, and it runs like hell with about 40k on the clock.

Joe

D

Dave.TX

Welcome to the site, tlegend!

I bought my bike on Sept 1st of this year and am happy I did. Had researched bikes for about 5 years, considered both cruisers and sport/touring types. So far have made two 300 mile trips the last two Sundays and had a blast. Last week my riding partner (who owns a Harley) was happy to tell me he got 33mpg on one leg. I did the math and told him I got 52mpg on that same leg. He never mentioned MPG's again.

Like stated, the bike is plenty powerful around town. Keep it below 7K RPM's and it's manageable. It'll do 100mph in 3rd gear (and gets there fast) but is tamer than the supersport bikes. I'm 6'4" and about 205lbs without gear and it hauls my posterior around just fine. Yeah, I make the bike look kinda small but it's plenty fun to ride. I also have 2 herniated discs in my lower back so wanted something that sat more upright. Again, been on two 300 mile rides and no back pain.

As for comparison to a cruiser it's already been mentioned; FZ6's are lighter and have more power. Granted it's not gonna have the same low end grunt as a VTX 1800, not even close, but I can cruise around and follow my Harley friend in 5th or 6th gear most of the time, even down to 2,500 RPM's. People complain about these not having any bottom end power but I say nay, it does. BTW, it redlines at 14,000 RPM so you have plenty to work with. At 11-12,000 it's really screaming and pulling hard!

Nobody here is going to tell you they made a mistake getting this bike (like most forums) but we'll all agree this bike, with some modifications, can fit nearly anyone. Years ago a magazine dubbed it the Swiss Army Knife of bikes for a good reason.

Hang out, read up and we'll answer any Q's you have. I'm 41 (fixin' to be 42 in about 6 weeks) so ain't no spring chicken either. I love my bike.

Flydoc

Reaction score
Visit site
"I'm 41 (fixin' to be 42 in about 6 weeks) so ain't no spring chicken either. I love my bike."

You guys are killing me. I'm 56, soon to be 57, and until now, was able to ride my FZ6 without feeling like an old fart. Thanks a lot.

D

Dave.TX

You guys are killing me. I'm 56, soon to be 57, and until now, was able to ride my FZ6 without feeling like an old fart. Thanks a lot.

:BLAA: The first time I was called an "old fart", I was 18 years old! Darned kids. You're only old if you let yourself be. Most people think I'm in my mid-30's (not much of a difference but still...). Still act like a kid sometimes. You'll be an old fart when you sell your FZ6 and get a Harley Davidson.

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
:BLAA: The first time I was called an "old fart", I was 18 years old! Darned kids. You're only old if you let yourself be. Most people think I'm in my mid-30's (not much of a difference but still...). Still act like a kid sometimes. You'll be an old fart when you sell your FZ6 and get a Harley Davidson.

+1
Never buy a Harley Davidson, as it means your end is near!! :eek:

Grtz,

Degake

Flydoc

Reaction score
Visit site

That will never happen. No Harleys for me!

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not your height or weight, but for what it's worth, my 2007 FZ6 is twice the bike my 1983 Nighthawk 450 is.

It's upright for a sport bike, but because I have to lean forward more than on the Nighthawk, I was worried it might get uncomfortable. When I go highway speed, the wind holds me up enough that my arms and wrists don't get tired, but not so much that it feels like my head is being pulled off, so it works out perfect. :)

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
thx you for quick responses..

anyone a cruiser rider, how does comfort and power feel on the fz6, i am not the one to go 140+ on a corner just want pickup power from the line.

for example on my 600rr i use to hit 100MPH all the time, on my cruiser i can hit 60 MPH and be happy.

I guess i am looking for a cruiser type sports/naked/touring bike.. :BLAA:

If you want power off the line you should be looking for V-Twin sport touring bikes...the V-Strom for instance:

24335_0_1_2_v-strom%201000_Image%20credits%20-%20Suzuki.jpg

at your size a 600cc is going to feel like a dog off the line...I'm only 140 lbs and to me it feels slow below 6,000 rpms.

That said, once you get above 6,000 rpms with the FZ6, it makes 92CI cruisers look like slouches!

FZ6_Dude

FZ6 Corner Carver
Reaction score
Visit site
thx you for everyones response, now to go for a hunt!!

so the Fz1 bars are more comfortable? i do not wish to lean forward as much

either that option or they make converti-bars that are fully adjustable by several inches that allow you to play with the settings for a personalized comfort of your choice... so there are many options for comfort...