Question regarding front sprocket size

Palerider

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone have any experience in going up 1 tooth on the front sprocket? Does it help with the economy and engine RPM for highway speed? If so, how bad does it hinder performance? Thanks for your time and expertise!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome aboard...
In stock trim the bike gets 46 to 50+mpg. What are your expectations here?

I went the other way, added teeth to the rear but the basics are this. Increase the load and the engine compensates by adding fuel when hills are encountered. Thus your net gain is nil as the hills drop the engine vacuum and when fuel is added all you have accomplished is loss of acceleration. To stay in its happy spot it adds fuel....
If you are west of the cascade range its pretty much all hills so I'd leave it alone.

JM2C!

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome!

On mine, I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket to a 15T to help improve acceleration a bit. Really does make a difference. Going up a couple of teeth on the rear will accomplish the same. I'm really not concerned with mileage so I don't check it closely, but still get at least 40-45MPG with my combined hard-twisties/open-country riding. As FinalImpact (this guys rocks!) notes above, you likely won't gain anything unless your riding is mostly flat highways. Acceleration will suffer a bit, as may clutch wear (a bit).

Palerider

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome aboard...
In stock trim the bike gets 46 to 50+mpg. What are your expectations here?

I went the other way, added teeth to the rear but the basics are this. Increase the load and the engine compensates by adding fuel when hills are encountered. Thus your net gain is nil as the hills drop the engine vacuum and when fuel is added all you have accomplished is loss of acceleration. To stay in its happy spot it adds fuel....
If you are west of the cascade range its pretty much all hills so I'd leave it alone.

JM2C!

Thanks for your help! I've been getting so many conflicting stories from the so-called local experts. Unfortunately, they all ride liter bikes or RR bikes. I'm glad I can chat with guys, and gals, that actually know from owning these bikes! Thanks again!