question about signal blink rates

mib7289

Reaction score
Visit site
I have aftermarket turn signals on the front that sped up my blink rate 2x. I am in the process of repairing my bike after my cousin dumped it and need to replace my rear fender. so here is my question, if i replace the signals in the back with aftermarket signals will it speed up the rate even more?

Also if i leave the stock signals there, i will have to cut them then reattach will that also speed up the blink rate? (i dont mind those, so i would almost just want to leave those on)

i dont do electronics that well so dont know much about the resistance to the signals.

p.s. the mod forum link was down so i posted it here if this needs moved so be it but i wanted a responce sooner than tomorrow when i start to make my own fender.

Funkmaxtor

Reaction score
Visit site
The blinking rate is controlled by electrical resistance. So generally replacing a standard (incandescent) bulb with an LED will drop the resistance and speed up the blinking rate. However you could add a resistor to the circuit to slow them down if you don't like the rate or not use LED signals.

Hope that helps.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
That's close, but not entirely accurate. The rate is a factor of power draw, not resistance.

LED's draw a lot less power, so they will blink faster. What the resistor does is add another current path. The resistor draws a lot of power, returning the power draw back to where it was before you put the LED signals on.

So the resistor will work, but you lose any electrical savings that you may have been hoping to gain.

You also need a pretty hefty resistor, since it will get quite hot.

An alternate option is to replace the turn signal flasher with one that's meant for LED signals. Cycle Gear sells them.

Fred