Question about my new HDTV

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a new HDTV it looks really nice. But when I'm watching tv from my cable box through an HDMI cable, it looks perfect but the image seems a little zoomed in like it cuts the tops off peoples heads and the bottom is missing some some text when your watching news or similar. I'm not zoomed in and the TV is detecting the right signal because displays the signal type for a brief second. My thinking is, and maybe you can help me on this, but is this the native resolution? I mean since it looks so good it's displaying a one to one resolution. I haven't had coffee yet so this may not be a very coherent post.

Thanks.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Try the different aspect settings. Mine has a 1:1, Zoom 1, Zoom 2, etc. I had to just play with it until I found the one that worked. I don't recall what it is off the top of my head.

Also try your local channels with good 'ole rabbit ears. In Austin I get about 12 HD channels over the air and the signal is uncompressed, where as most cable channels are compressed. The picture is great!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pete hit it on the head. Use the view modes on the TV remote to get to the setting that looks to be normal. Mine has 6 settings and after trying them all, it went back to normal setting and stays there.

Also, on the cablebox? There may be an output setting for the TV format. On my Motorola (Comcast) box, with the power off, I can press the Setup key on the remote and it brings up a menu that allows me to tune the settings, then after I power on, I get the correct format for the TV. (16:9 - 16:10 - 4:3 etc...)

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm at work now, but I've been through the displays setting full, zoom1, zoom2, and stretch, full is the best quality. Now one thing I thought of is when I'm viewing with cable it looks ok but with the HDMI cable is when it looks zoomed.

A guy here at work who had the same comcast cable box and remote showed me a button on the remote called HD Zoom.

bottom right of the remote you'll see it if you zoom in. http://www.comcast.com/medialibrary/1/2/cm/vanityurl/documents/ecare/MODVRBROCHURE.pdf

I'll have to try it when I get home.

agp

Reaction score
Visit site
Definately sounds like an aspect ratio problem. Most tv's should have details in the instructions on how to get the ratio set properly. Also check the output settings on the cable box itself. The box might not "know" its outputting to a 16:9 aspect ratio tv.

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The cable box was in zoom when going through the HDMI. Wow I'm impressed my first HDTV looks awesome. Now I need to go get me a blue ray player.

Thanks for the replies.

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
Aspect ratio is a real pain in the ass. Keep in mind that when you go to watch movies on your bluray player, you'll have to adjust your aspect ratio again.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The cable box was in zoom when going through the HDMI. Wow I'm impressed my first HDTV looks awesome. Now I need to go get me a blue ray player.

Thanks for the replies.
PS3 is great via HD TV, Blue ray is also brilliant. I got a few movies for x-mas and we watched them. Both my wife and I thinking "whats all the hype about"? The picture and sound looked normal. I then realised (after reading the destruction book) that I didn't have the HDMI cable plugged in. Yes I know what a spanner. After rectifying that little problem, we both agreed that there was a big difference.

Nelly

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Get rid of your cable box and get a dish.

Direct TV :thumbup:

Damn skippy. I'm in a rent house now and we might be moving soon and when that happens I will get a dish, comcast sucks. The salesperson at sam's club, I can't remember if it was dish or DTV, but he said they will add over 250 hd channels this year.

A guy at work has had several variations of cable/satellite and now has AT&T and he say's it's very good.

I have though about getting a TIVO HD to replace the Comcast box.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn skippy. I'm in a rent house now and we might be moving soon and when that happens I will get a dish, comcast sucks. The salesperson at sam's club, I can't remember if it was dish or DTV, but he said they will add over 250 hd channels this year.

A guy at work has had several variations of cable/satellite and now has AT&T and he say's it's very good.

I have though about getting a TIVO HD to replace the Comcast box.

I'm a big football fan, so Direct TV is a must for me, as I always get the football package. My friend has HD Cable and Direct TV, and has compared both side by side with the same TV's, and he states that the satellite offers a better picture.

Only thing dissapointing about Direct TV is that they charge extra for an HD Box. Plus you have to pay extra to receive the football package in HD.

If you end up getting Direct TV. Make sure you sign up with a referal, as both of you will benefit with significant savings. Just don't go sign up, get a hold of somebody who has a Direct TV account.