Q: How to Wheelie

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
The subject field is self explanatory, and I realize that I'm going to receive a wee bit of derogatory commentary for asking (how unsafe, ride within the law etc) but I was wondering EXACTLY how some of you wheelie on your FZ6. I realize that the eat way to learn is to practice, practice and more practice, I understand the difference between a clutch wheelie and power wheelie, I know to cover the rear, and to always be smooth with every control and movement, but want some FZ6 specific advice before I start practicing (away from any friends or public).

Body position, rev range, gear selection, that kind of thing...

Y'all getting sick of all my posts yet? :) spam much? :lol:

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you seen the vid on wheelie-ing on youtube?

To be specific i.t.o the FZ6 I would say:

1) Start at 30-40km/h
2) 1st gear
3) Throttle, then dip clutch
4) Be aware of the sudden initial lift
5) Don't chop the gas
6) Sit with your rear against the natural curve in the seat
7) Uhm.... 9,000rpm?

Luckily the FZ has a very forward inclined motor, so it's heavier to lift than...say an R6.

Best to watch the vid.

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you seen the vid on wheelie-ing on youtube?

To be specific i.t.o the FZ6 I would say:

1) Start at 30-40km/h
2) 1st gear
3) Throttle, then dip clutch
4) Be aware of the sudden initial lift
5) Don't chop the gas
6) Sit with your rear against the natural curve in the seat
7) Uhm.... 9,000rpm?

Luckily the FZ has a very forward inclined motor, so it's heavier to lift than...say an R6.

Best to watch the vid.

Yeah, I watched a couple of videos, and the most popular as well... Thanks for the info mate - I appreciate any help I can get before I go and waste my time with crappy form

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Or find a nice long section of road and go WOT in 1st and 2nd. Although, since I put the rear lowering spring in, it won't power wheelie. I wonder if when I put the front springs in, if it'll start again.

I keep wanting to find a place to practice clutch wheelies, but I never get around to it. There's a video on youtube on a FZ6 that shows low and high speed wheelies, and the rev/speed for each. It's in km/h already even.

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Went for some power wheelies to work on my high RPM throttle control. Nearly crapped myself at first success - only wheelied once before by accident. A second and third success - then I called it a day. only short distance, but progress nonetheless.

Thanks for the help :)

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
hey rino I have the same bike, a bloke where I park asked if I get up on the back wheel, I never could hold it when I rode dirt years ago and I still cant. When I first rode the fz I freaked myself with how light the front would get if I gunned it, I have that under control now.
I just have this thing about damage (to the bike and me, I'm over 50 now), but i know its got the capacity. I hope you have fun, ....safe fun

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
hey rino I have the same bike, a bloke where I park asked if I get up on the back wheel, I never could hold it when I rode dirt years ago and I still cant. When I first rode the fz I freaked myself with how light the front would get if I gunned it, I have that under control now.
I just have this thing about damage (to the bike and me, I'm over 50 now), but i know its got the capacity. I hope you have fun, ....safe fun

Yeah, I saw your dp - sexy little thing... And the bike ain't so bad. Lol, jk.

I don't plan on (and haven't) done one on a road where I can actually see another vehicle, or there are any obstructions - and damage is a reason that it took so long for me to try or to actually pick it up trying, as I'm trying to be really smooth; easy up and easy down. Hope you're loving your fz :)

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Strange,... I am very, very light (115 pounds), I have bags on the back of the bike, and even when I NAIL the throttle to redline up through third, the most that ever happens is the front wheel gets light - and by that I mean the bars shake for a second, where the front wheel loses contact with the ground for a second before I shift. I have never had the front wheel really lift up off the ground in any pronounced way, and I would think with me being half the weight of a lot of other guys here, it would happen easier.

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
More weight, means more on the back end as the seat is behind the centre of gravity. (I suppose, as the engine is in front and weighs a tonne)

So, it is almost like having someone sitting behind you, thus helping the front lift up.
I am also light, and have the same acceleration symptoms than you. However, I have had a situation where the front lifts up like crazy from 1st - 2nd. Down to cold weather = more power and change in road surface = slippery to grippy.

Peace

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Low tank weight will make a difference...
I never try to wheelie my bikes but always end up doing it in the heat of running hard. When it happens my focus is on what I'm trying to accomplish with acceleration. After I complete the mission my brain replays the sequence and I smile. The SV1000 is supposed to be a wheelie monster and I did the TRE mod so it's timing isn't retarded any more. :rolleyes:

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
there was a thread here a little while ago from a dude that wheelied,
intentionally for the first time...it ended badly, front tire way too high
and off the back he went to get away from the bike...not going too
fast but the bike ended up going down hard, then sliding some distance,
the frame slider dug in first and tore a chunk of the aluminum frame out
so the bike was a write-off..anyway I wish you luck with your wheelying :D

edit:and don't forget your gear, always wear it,
shorts, tank top and flip flops are the proper gear for this sort of riding

Last edited:

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
there was a thread here a little while ago from a dude that wheelied,
intentionally for the first time...it ended badly, front tire way too high
and off the back he went to get away from the bike...not going too
fast but the bike ended up going down hard, then sliding some distance,
the frame slider dug in first and tore a chunk of the aluminum frame out
so the bike was a write-off..anyway I wish you luck with your wheelying :D

edit:and don't forget your gear, always wear it,
shorts, tank top and flip flops are the proper gear for this sort of riding

Lol, sounds like a plan.

Always wearing jeans or bike pants, my MotoDry boots, jacket, helmet and gloves.

And covering the rear brake! I've got a mate with a gs500, and while I'm smart enough not to practice around my mates, he was practicing the other day as we hit a backroad outside of town. Cause it has no power, he was entirely clutching it - he got a few small ones, then picked the front up a foot, maybe a foot and a half - and both his legs went out either side of the bike, as if trying o reach the ground! Hilarious - I had to drop my sidestand so I could lie on the ground and laugh, but dangerous...

So yeah, I'm trying to do everything right, and power wheelies are supposed to by he way to learn control.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, since on our bikes we only power wheelie a few inches or so, it's even better. Just keep the bars straight and watch that redline. You want to set it down before you get there. Especially if you're pretending you're Hayden and you've got your chin tucked into the tank. Even a few inch drop where you basically chopped throttle...

Ow.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I don't wheelie the FZ I'm getting old but I use to ride a decent wheelie on my old CR 250. My buddy can wheelie anything. He never uses the clutch or gets the revs up. He just moves along at 10 mph lets off the throttle so the front dips a little then a light twist and the front end is sky high. Over the years I've seen him wheelie everything from a moped to a ZX10.

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This guy did it wrong on his BMW S1000RR ....needed wayyyy more room to slide.....:D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBLaP-8kMC8&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - ‪Scary wheelie crash‬‏[/ame]

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, since on our bikes we only power wheelie a few inches or so, it's even better. Just keep the bars straight and watch that redline. You want to set it down before you get there. Especially if you're pretending you're Hayden and you've got your chin tucked into the tank. Even a few inch drop where you basically chopped throttle...

Ow.

Lol, I'll have to try the 'MotoGP' chin tuck next time - see if I can dislocate my jaw.

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't wheelie the FZ I'm getting old but I use to ride a decent wheelie on my old CR 250. My buddy can wheelie anything. He never uses the clutch or gets the revs up. He just moves along at 10 mph lets off the throttle so the front dips a little then a light twist and the front end is sky high. Over the years I've seen him wheelie everything from a moped to a ZX10.

You used to be as jealous as I am? :)