Yes, another wheelie question

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for the dumb question guys, and I know its a sensitive subject with lots of people here on the forums, but I've got to ask somebody - and this is a reputable site with credible people and helpful advice, so why not. So here goes...

I've had my fizz for 3 years now, and I've always had the desire to lift the front end up. It wasn't until about a year ago that I ever even attempted it, and I've been slowly here and there, when the time is right, been practicing in vacant lots and empty backroads here and there. I find that in 1st gear, rolling at about 10 - 15 mph, I can lift it up easy, every time.

I even feel like I'm bringing it up to or close to the balance point, but it takes so much umph to get it up, that once its up, there's not enough umph left in 1st gear (around 20 - 25mph) to keep it up. So my question here is:

Is it possible to shift out of first while in the wheelie in a short enough time to produce the torque needed to accelerate past 30mph in the wheelie, or am I just not reaching the balance point. I need to know if I am not lifting it high enough to hold it, or if I'm not shifting.

If so, whats a good technique to use? I assume you maybe don't want to use the clutch? Or maybe since its clunky shifting from first to second, not using the clutch may be a bad idea. Thank you for any information, I just wanted to know as to make some improvement, if what exactly i need to do differently, or better at least - to know I'm doing it properly and am on the right track here.

And for the record, since the subject IS sensitive, I feel I need to say NEVER wheelie on public roads, or with other vehicles, obstacles, or any other related "dangers" present.

So again, thanks for any input here - lets see what kind of responses I get here, probably going to be fairly interesting.

fazed_ya

Reaction score
Visit site
Im not sure buddy only time my wheel leaves the ground is power wheels thru 1st in to second. The power of the wheelie is alluring ....just got back to your 1st buffy that's the 1st thing everyone wants to do. Im to poor to try doing tricks on my bike so I am to scared to try

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to wheelie my KLR a lot but after cracks in the rim and replacement of the fork seals I only pull the front up a bit when in the dirt.

Can't help you with the shift question but I prefer to lift the front a foot or so over rolling hills in the road at speed . I did get the front up at 110 mph on the FJR down on the Great Overland Stage road- that was a little thrilling:eek:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Trade your Fazer in for a Versys, sprocket down 1 in front and enjoy power wheelies whether your in 1st or 3rd :D J/k lol

However yes, on alot of bikes you can click it from 1st into 2nd to keep a wheelie going... you have to be "one" with your powerband and it takes alot of practice, but it is doable (i believe, never tried it on a Fazer lol).

Something else you might try, is fiddling with your sprocket sizes...again, not tremendously sure what this will do with the fazer as alot of its power is in the top end, but for most bikes a -1 in front or up a couple in the back multiplies your torque, and thats what helps in a wheelie...

Btw i commend you for waiting so long to try and get the front up... i'm from dirt where wheelies are part of the religion so i did a little (and terrible) wheelie the first day i got my versys lol... just too tempting... i restrain myself now, most of the time :D :ban:

Edit: forgot to say.... when shifting from 1st to 2nd in a wheelie you have to do it clutchless or your front end will just drop, no matter how quick you are with your hands :(

Last edited:

LeaN69

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for the dumb question guys, and I know its a sensitive subject with lots of people here on the forums, but I've got to ask somebody - and this is a reputable site with credible people and helpful advice, so why not. So here goes...

I've had my fizz for 3 years now, and I've always had the desire to lift the front end up. It wasn't until about a year ago that I ever even attempted it, and I've been slowly here and there, when the time is right, been practicing in vacant lots and empty backroads here and there. I find that in 1st gear, rolling at about 10 - 15 mph, I can lift it up easy, every time.

I even feel like I'm bringing it up to or close to the balance point, but it takes so much umph to get it up, that once its up, there's not enough umph left in 1st gear (around 20 - 25mph) to keep it up. So my question here is:

Is it possible to shift out of first while in the wheelie in a short enough time to produce the torque needed to accelerate past 30mph in the wheelie, or am I just not reaching the balance point. I need to know if I am not lifting it high enough to hold it, or if I'm not shifting.

If so, whats a good technique to use? I assume you maybe don't want to use the clutch? Or maybe since its clunky shifting from first to second, not using the clutch may be a bad idea. Thank you for any information, I just wanted to know as to make some improvement, if what exactly i need to do differently, or better at least - to know I'm doing it properly and am on the right track here.

And for the record, since the subject IS sensitive, I feel I need to say NEVER wheelie on public roads, or with other vehicles, obstacles, or any other related "dangers" present.

So again, thanks for any input here - lets see what kind of responses I get here, probably going to be fairly interesting.

Yes, I've done wheelies while shifting from first to second, be very very careful tho, do not give it too much gas after you have shiften into second, it could be very tricky. Make sure you are pretty high to begin with because in the shifting interval front will drop, once your in second, hopefully quick enough, you can chase it and bring it back up.

First gear goes way past 30mph in order to need to shift into second while wheelying you need to be going past 60mph

Be safe.

Last edited:

LeaN69

Reaction score
Visit site
Edit: forgot to say.... when shifting from 1st to 2nd in a wheelie you have to do it clutchless your your front end will just drop, no matter how quick you are with your hands :(

I guess I'm special then :D Trick is make sure your no less then at 75*

basejumpyeah

Reaction score
Visit site
It's very possible to shift from first to second while in a wheelie, the only problem is, like you said, it's very clunky. Usually when upshifting in a wheelie, the easiest thing to do is go clutchless. Like someone else said, it's just about finding the right balance, and technique. Do not overdo it, as if you rip it going into second you are screwed.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
More speed= more stability. While maybe not safer (perhaps in good conditions), riding a fast wheelie feels so much more solid.

I know what you mean, a power wheelie in first on my yz426f is alot harder to control than a 3rd gear wheelie doing 50 on the same bike, although i'm sure it will hurt a bit more :rolleyes:

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
Youtube search:

1) New Wheelie Tutorial No Bullsh*t
2) Fazer Wheelie

The 1st video is the one I would suggest to anyone trying wheelies - I found it very helpful.