Q: Audio/Video distribution on the cheap

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
EDIT: *distribution* that is. Seems the use of the abbreviation *distro* in the Linux community has me perpetually misspelling that word.

It seems we have quite a few folk here with backgrounds in electrical engineering, etc. so maybe someone can help me with this.

I've installed an 8 camera surveillance system at my home after having something stolen and am trying to distribute the video signal from the DVR unit (VGA output) to the three TV's we own.

I didn't want to bore out the 2" dia hole required to pass a VGA cable's HD15/DE15 connector through the floor, so I decided to go with these simple DE15 to RJ-45 connectors (non-amplified, non-processed) to carry the video signal:

2PCS VGA Extender to CAT5/CAT6/RJ45 Cable Adapter Kit | eBay

I got a 20 pack of those really cheap. This worked great when I made a single run from the unit to the television in the bedroom, but I have since attempted to use the following 4-way, amplified VGA splitter to no avail:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I end up getting a faulty signal on the TV in the bedroom (seems to be missing the red channel) and another TV refuses to recognize the signal at all.

I expected I might have a problem considering CAT5 is only an 8 wire cable and VGA connectors have 15 pins:

VGA connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The cat5-vga adapters I have omit the monitor ID, power, and syc pins (pins 1-3, 6-8, 13 and 14 are patched).

At this point I'm either going to have to bite the bullet and buy some RapidRun cabling since it will fix the root problem of a smaller connector for passing through the small hole or do some soldering to use a 2nd CAT5 cable to carry the signal from the missing pins (something I just thought of while typing this). The proper amplified and processed VGA to CAT5 options are mostly out of consideration due to cost.

Any other ideas or products you know of that would be appropriate? Thanks.

Last edited: