Purchasing new brake pads

seansi

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like some more bite to my braking and the front is definitely worn. Ofc anything new will feel awesome, I'm just saying that I wouldn't mind spending a few extra bucks on a better brand.

Is there anything else I should do other than clean/grease the calipers. Anything specific I should keep in mind while doing it?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the OEM's, they have great life as I'm still on my original front pads. How are your rotors? Any noticeable wear or grooves? Many of us have upgraded to steel lines, but to be honest, I really couldn't tell the difference.

seansi

Reaction score
Visit site
I like the OEM's, they have great life as I'm still on my original front pads. How are your rotors? Any noticeable wear or grooves? Many of us have upgraded to steel lines, but to be honest, I really couldn't tell the difference.

Rotors feel smooth when running the finger over them. They look fine as far as I can tell.
I've recently replaced the tires so the rear and front came off a few weeks ago and the breaks haven't felt very good since. Pads are definitely worn but it was a significant loss of firmness to the front after replacing the wheel.

So two sets of these or is one set enough since the calipers are single sided?
https://www.denniskirk.com/1907987....M0ZsJeZD-Zsnj0uZPwoyTJHAxgHfTh69t5RoC3yHw_wcB

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure what you meant by single sided, but there's always a pad on either side of the rotor. In other words, you need 2 pairs.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I put EBC HH pads on right before the track. They actually feel about the same as OEM which is good. Mine have been silent.

rankinx

Reaction score
Visit site
i am looking to replace the read set of pads on my 06 FZ6.

I was looking on ebay and i could get a whole set, F+R for 30.

What are your thoughts on aftermarker unbranded brakes? would you use them or touch them only with a 10 feet pole?

There is also the sumo brand, never heard of before : Yamaha Rear Brake Pads FZ6 FZ 600 S Fazer 2004 2009 YZF 600 R6 2003 2004 | eBay

I was not looking to change the whole kit, but at that price, i might as well. What should i do?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
i am looking to replace the read set of pads on my 06 FZ6.

I was looking on ebay and i could get a whole set, F+R for 30.

What are your thoughts on aftermarker unbranded brakes? would you use them or touch them only with a 10 feet pole?

There is also the sumo brand, never heard of before : Yamaha Rear Brake Pads FZ6 FZ 600 S Fazer 2004 2009 YZF 600 R6 2003 2004 | eBay

I was not looking to change the whole kit, but at that price, i might as well. What should i do?

I like the OEM's, you know their going to fit without issue. they last pretty long and aren't too hard on the rotors..

Chinese knocks off's or ??, no thanks...

You don't change brakes often, I wouldn't cut corners, its your life.

As a side note, I bought OEM Yamaha front brake pads (S2-both discs-still in the package!) from a member here for cheap.
I don't need them anytime soon but the price was right, especially for OEM...

Read the manual and pay close attention to the pad install. its a little more involved than the fronts..

And get some brake specific grease for the bolts the caliper rides on. The caliper should
center itself and old grease in the "accordion boot" needs to be cleaned out, pins cleaned and re-lubed
for best performance...

Last edited:

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
I like the OEM's, you know their going to fit without issue. they last pretty long and aren't too hard on the rotors..

I like the OEM because they do last a long time, but I was looking for more bite. I want something that will enhance the braking of the bike, knowing they will not last as long as OEM.

I would never buy cheap aftermarket. The money saved is not worth it.