problem with stock bars

ozmodius

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a problem with the stock bars. I'm pretty wide at the shoulders and have long arms, the stock bars put my wrists at a pretty steep angle and caused my hands to numb.

I've read alot of threads about aftermarket bars, but not much has been said about changing them for comfort.

Will the FZ1 bar switch reduce the turn in angle? I know they are shorter, what size riser/pullback would I need to get them close to stock height/placement?

Thanks for your help guys.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ1 bar will not affect lock to lock bar operation, if properly installed. If you don't want the bar to sit any lower than stock, go with a small riser (15-20mm), but of course at that point you're spending as much as an aftermarket aluminum riser costs.

ozmodius

Reaction score
Visit site
My fault... sorry.

By "turn in angle" I was trying to ask if these are less angled than the stock fz6 bars and would help allieviate the cramped wrist.

Are fz1 bars noticably straiter than the fz6 bars?

Thanks for the recomendation on the risers.

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a similar question. The stock bars feel fine but I find I sit all the way back in the seat as far as I can go. I wonder if the FZ1 bars would allow me to stretch out a bit more than stock.

Tim

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed fz1 bars on my bike. I was a little concerned that I wouldn't like the reach. As has been noted, they're flatter and a little less swept back than the stock bars. I was concerned that I might have to also get some sort of bar riser set-up to get the riding position closer to the stock posture.

So far I'm liking them. I'm 6' even. The reach is such that I'm leaning a little bit more forward, and I feel the weight on my hands a little bit more. But the weight shift doesn't feel excessive. My typical commute/ride these days is about 100 miles so I have time to get a feel for my controls. My hands are having to adjust slightly to a different bit of contact, but there's no numbness or wrist pain. My wrists feel straighter due to the flatter bar.

The lesser sweep/flatness of the bars makes the ride posture feel a bit more aggressive, if that makes any sense at all. The steering feels a little lighter, a little quicker. Not dramatically, but just enough to be appreciated.