Power outlet install/accessories

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been asked about this a few times, so I just thought it would be better to put it together in one thread. I wanted to run a GPS and battery charger, so I removed the throttle cable bracket and machined a stainless steel plate for a power outlet with an integrated throttle cable slot. I used the original bolt and two bolts/nuts as stops underneath. Locktite, once again, is the friend here. The mount is very solid and does not move. There are easier ways to mount a power outlet - such as tywraps. The center conductor of the cigarette lighter goes to the positive side of the battery using an in-line fuse. I used 5amps, I think.(I would not be using anything that would draw more than 5 amps) The outside conductor goes to the negative side. The boating store sells very nice marine grade(stainless) quality power outlets. I would recommend them. The battery charger can be modified to charge the battery in the same way.(see pic) Just watch the polarity - positive charging wire goes to the center conductor(which goes to the positive side of battery) and the other to the outer conductor.

I purchased a fishing pole holder at the boat store made of non-corrosive plastic for about 5 bucks. If you have a pre 2007 FZ6, you can easily clamp right on the middle handle bar. I purchased the 06 clamps for mine. I used industrial strength velcro on the GPS and the pole holder(see pic). I have gone hundreds of miles and it stays on there solid. Actually a little hard to pull off.:) I purchase a retractable cord on the net for my nuvi200. It is much easier to manage when installing on the bike. I really enjoy the battery charger because I don't have to go through the hassle of lifting the tank (especially in the winter) to charge it. Hope this helps someone.:Flash:

I like the new bracket.

I ran mine under the tank and it sits under the seat. It works very well for me.
I also have a battery tender fitted which is invaluable as it is a PITA if you have to lift the tank to charge the battery.

Steve

I love the bracket you fabricated. I did the same thing only ran mine to a switched 12V under the tank. I wanted it to turn off when I turned the key off. But I just neatly zip tied mine to the ignition switch. I need to find some nice sheet aluminum or stainless like you did. Thats definately better looking. Thanks for sharing!

I put in a relay switched by the headlights to power a 6-port fuse box under the fairings in line with a switch that powers off the entire box even when the headlight is running. My voltmeter, 12V outlet occupy two fused ports of the box. You could do it even better than me since you are more skillful and cleaned up your installation so nicely.

Last edited:
A voltmeter sounds like a great idea. I guess if i wanted to check the battery voltage now i would use my battery charge adapter, plug it in to the outlet and read off the unplugged ends of the leads with my DVM. Just having a readout all the time sounds pretty cool, though.:thumbup:

I purchased a fishing pole holder at the boat store made of non-corrosive plastic for about 5 bucks. If you have a pre 2007 FZ6, you can easily clamp right on the middle handle bar. I purchased the 06 clamps for mine. I used industrial strength velcro on the GPS and the pole holder(see pic). I have gone hundreds of miles and it stays on there solid. Actually a little hard to pull off.:) I purchase a retractable cord on the net for my nuvi200. It is much easier to manage when installing on the bike. I really enjoy the battery charger because I don't have to go through the hassle of lifting the tank (especially in the winter) to charge it. Hope this helps someone.:Flash:

I have been wondering how i could do a similar mod, I have a Nokia E90 phone with built in sat nav and have upgraded the Nokia maps licence to full voice guidance. I have a Jabra 250v bluetooth earpiece that fits comfortably under my hemet and relays the voice guidance directly inside my helmet. This also has the advantage (or maybe not ) of auto answering calls to me on my mobile/cell phone. Being in the UK i really need to waterproof it so the best I could come up with was this
Aquapac - 100% Waterproof Cases - Sterling Site
Your Idea with the fishing rod holder has just put the missing piece of the puzzle in place for me. I will use velcro on the back of the aquapac to hold it in place.
Thanks!!!

Jman that is very cool. You should market the bracket, I know I would buy one. Was it hard to put the brake and throttle cables in the new bracket?

Jman that is very cool. You should market the bracket, I know I would buy one. Was it hard to put the brake and throttle cables in the new bracket?

A little tricky but not really that hard. Just make a note of how the cables are oriented inside the handle before you remove them. I was asked about marketing it before, but I just don't think I could make it cost effectively. Thanks for the complement, though.:Flash:

If you do decide to make some let me know mate.

Will do. What do you think would be a reasonable price if I were to hypothetically make more? It would probably take a couple hours to make and I'm guessing 10 dollars in materials. The outlet and wires would be another 30 bucks in the marine grade quality. I don't know, it may get too expensive.

Why not just make the bracket and let your customers supply their own outlet and wires ?

I would be concerned about drilling the correct diameter size for the outlet, it may vary from the different manufacturers.

Back