Power outlet and battery lead questions

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm planning on hooking up a power outlet and battery leads to my 2006 tomorrow and I have two questions:

1: In order to access the battery to wire up the fuse block and battery leads I assume that I need to lift the tank, but not the air box. The diagram below leads me to these conclusions. Is this correct? I've never lifted the tank on this bike and I'm curious what I'll be getting into to.
battery.jpg

2: This will be the 3rd winter that my Fazer has spent outside. I ride it daily so the battery has treated me well and cranked the bike without a hitch even on a couple 5F mornings. All this without any maintenance charging. Eventually this will catch up to me so I aim to be ready this year. Before I create and connect battery leads in addition to the power outlet wiring, I have to ask: Can a trickle charger be connected directly in to the newly added (cigarette lighter style) power outlet? A few posts on here led me to this conclusion. It never crossed my mind previously. That would simplify things.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
For number one, absolutely yes. I just added a heat controller that connects directly to the battery. Just lift the tank, prop it up, and add in the leads. You may have to remove the 2 small side fairings to lift the tank -- on my 2008, I did.

Also, as soon as you unscrew the battery lead, the square metal it screws into may fall down. I used a curved bread tie to hold it up to get the screw back in. It was annoying but have done this several times before so no worries.

I don't know about 2. But, on one of my cars, the trickle charger goes into the cig. lighter. I'm guessing it will work for bike too but never tried.

If bike stays outside in cold at least cover it -- maybe you already do.

Dennis

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, you can plug a charger directly into the outlet.

If your going to be running a portable air compressor/heated clothing, I'd bump the fuse up to approx 15 amp.

I'd also try and keep the fuse accessable should you need access to it...

Also, to keep the small square battery bolt from falling to the bottom (and being unable to capture it), I fold up a very small piece of duct tape. I then trim it down and stick it under the nut before you loosen it. Try and trim it so its snug and doesn't come out (leave it there for further use)..

Scott

Last edited:

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com
Actually, the easier way to lift the tank is to temporarily remove the bolt at the rear of the tank, slide the tak backward, raise the front of the tank, and then slide the bolt back in. That avoids having to mess with removing the inner fairings to raise the tank.

Second, many of us have attached an SAE connector, commonly provided with a Battery Tender, but also available at Radio Shack, etc. Then Powerlet has all types of attachments, extensions, adapters for power wiring. See Luggage Electrix - Powerlet Products

Finally, you can also use an old foam ear plug to lift the fastener for the battery. Just squeeze it and insert it underneath. Otherwise, trying to capture that fastener with the short battery bolt will be your main heartache.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
2 ways to get the tank out of the way:

1) remove the inner fairing pieces, the allen bolts at the front of the tank, and tilt it up out of the way.... I use the end of the handlbars for the prop. Turn the steering full lock, and it will support the tank.

2) Take the seat off, remove the bolt through the back mount for the tank, then pull the front two allen bolts.... then slide the tank backwards to clear the 'pods'.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all!

-I always cover the bike - year 'round.

-That's cool about plugging the charger in to the powerlet. Makes perfect sense.. I just never thought about It before.

-I am mounting the fuse block under the seat.. Nice and accessible.

-I already planned on using the method that doesn't require removing fairing bits to lift the tank (ie: pulling the rear hinge bolt etc...)

-I'm glad I don't have to remove the air box. That seems to cause some people no end of trouble.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I use the end of the handlbars for the prop. Turn the steering full lock, and it will support the tank.
This is a great way to do it, just make sure you put an old shirt or something in between the tank and the controls/bar or it will scratch (as it did to my controls). :(