Power Commander V

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried again, and it snapped perfect. I feel dumb, i dont know what i was doing wrong, but for the life of me i couldnt get it to work. i guess it just took walking away and coming back and it works....

I did NOT do the O2 sensor yet. actually i didnt see that part in the instructions till after i installed and put it all back together. I might do that this weekend... My new issue now is that 2 times today the bike stalled when coming to a stop, im wondering if the O2 had something to do with this. When i pulled the clutch coming to a stop, the RPMS dropped all the way till it died. I did notice that they were dropping really low when clutching, but twice it actually died.. GRR

How good is your battery? My bike started to do very same thing last couple of days and today battery died. I have known battery playing havoc on cars electronics before, but, never thought it would happen on a bike. Let's see if new battery will fix my issue tomorrow. But, I thought, I'd throw it out there in case it has been a while since you did anything with it.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe your issue is due to the o2 sensor not being defeated. We had the exact same result on a 09 R1 and a Raider under the same circumstances. Both were customer installed without reading directions. The O2 eliminator fixed their issues. Also, make sure you go to "calibrate/set throttle position" from the PCV software. Press reset and then go from 0-100% throttle, then press ok.
When you say "defeat the o2", do you mean literally unplug it from the exhaust? that is what you are talking about right? the o2 directly under your feet?

and when you say "0-100% throttle" you mean with the bike OFF right??

Dumb questions, but they could avoid dumb mistakes. lol

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When you say "defeat the o2", do you mean literally unplug it from the exhaust? that is what you are talking about right? the o2 directly under your feet?

and when you say "0-100% throttle" you mean with the bike OFF right??

Dumb questions, but they could avoid dumb mistakes. lol

There should be a plug that you unplug from the O2 sensor. You don't need to take the sensor out of the exhaust. There should be a small square module you will plug into the O2 sensor wire going to the OEM computer.

I believe the throttle sync will be with the key on, and you are correct, motor not running.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree the stalling issue is most likely related to that map and the O2 still being plugged in. If you look at the map they have actually done quite a few changes in the "closed loop" region. But because the O2 is still plugged in, the stock ECU it is getting feedback and has probably trimmed out the changes in some spots...but this may mess up other region of the map (too lean/too rich) which can cause stalls.

If you run with the O2 plugged in I would zero out the changes they made in the map in the closed loop region and see if it solves the issue. Hellgate posted before what his tuner said this region was...IIRC it was below 20% throttle and below ~6500 rpms.

Glad to hear that in general the PCV is working on the 2008 though :thumbup:

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
There should be a plug that you unplug from the O2 sensor. You don't need to take the sensor out of the exhaust. There should be a small square module you will plug into the O2 sensor wire going to the OEM computer.

I believe the throttle sync will be with the key on, and you are correct, motor not running.

this is exactly right. Some bikes won't communicate with a computer unless running and then you do 0-100% throttle position running. (NOISEY) But if your bike reads tps through the PCV with the engine not running, calibrate with it off.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i just played with the bike for a bit, then took it for a short spin....

I got back under the tank, removed the ground for about 5 min to clear everything out, while i was doing that i unplugged the o2. Then connected the ground, and put the tank back down, turned on the bike and my trip and clock were reset, so i know the ground removal was long enough.

I didnt do the throttle sync yet, but plan to soon, (allergies are killin me today, took off work because of it lol) but after a short ride, it stalled on me 2 times again, both times were coming to a stop, at 2nd gear, with RPMS around the 4k mark. But i did notice that if i let the RPMS go all the way down (about 10mph speed) then it wouldnt stall, only when i pulled the clutch at like 20mph.... Think this is the throttle issue?

-So just so im correct. all i do is plug in the laptop to the bike, turn the key "on" (but dont start it) pull up the software, and go to "calibrate, throttle position" then just simply twist the throttle?

-did you guys do the speed calibration, or gear calibration?

-Also, how do i know that when i hit "send map" that it actually went through? it clicks, but no confirmation that it actually went through to the PCV.

-and finally did you do the "send table" as well?

sorry for all the questions, but im just not sure what is "user" friendly and what is meant for the DYNO guys to tweak.

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
i just played with the bike for a bit, then took it for a short spin....

I got back under the tank, removed the ground for about 5 min to clear everything out, while i was doing that i unplugged the o2. Then connected the ground, and put the tank back down, turned on the bike and my trip and clock were reset, so i know the ground removal was long enough.

do you mean you plugged in the supplied O2 sensor bypass plug into the harness connector?

I didnt do the throttle sync yet, but plan to soon, (allergies are killin me today, took off work because of it lol) but after a short ride, it stalled on me 2 times again, both times were coming to a stop, at 2nd gear, with RPMS around the 4k mark. But i did notice that if i let the RPMS go all the way down (about 10mph speed) then it wouldnt stall, only when i pulled the clutch at like 20mph.... Think this is the throttle issue?

I think your TPS is not set correctly.... could be wrong.

-So just so im correct. all i do is plug in the laptop to the bike, turn the key "on" (but dont start it) pull up the software, and go to "calibrate, throttle position" then just simply twist the throttle?

No..... one more step. you have to click the "reset" button before you twist the throttle.

-did you guys do the speed calibration, or gear calibration?

-Also, how do i know that when i hit "send map" that it actually went through? it clicks, but no confirmation that it actually went through to the PCV.
As long as you have a good connection to the laptop, it sent.
-and finally did you do the "send table" as well?

sorry for all the questions, but im just not sure what is "user" friendly and what is meant for the DYNO guys to tweak.

if you send the map, you also sent the table.

we do some off the cuff modifications to dynojet maps to fine tune by ear until we can get a bike on the dyno, but we know what we are doing (thousands of dyno runs). I would only use a dynojet map until you get on a dyno (and you should get on a dyno... don't skimp on that).

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got on the phone with a nice guy from power commander, he walked me through some stuff, i set the throttle position (engine on lol) and he advised me to tweak up the "idle" on each gear up by 2 or 3. so i did that, and sent it over... took it for a ride, and tried my hardest to make it stall. (to test... hi-rpm clutch pulls) and it only stalled once. Maybe i should pump them up a few more....

The problem seems to be after i get on it a little bit, then slow down for a light, ill gear down to slow, once i get to 2nd gear, (20mphish) i pull the clutch, and it will drop RPMS quick... sometimes it bobbs down, other times it dies all the way.

and to answer your question krid, the instructions say to unplug the white connectors and the "clear" (green) ones, and install the PC in place. And the black o2i just unplugged, as the directions say.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
do you mean you plugged in the supplied O2 sensor bypass plug into the harness connector?

I don't think they include a O2 bypass with the PCV? There is no mention of this in the instructions, they say to just leave it unplugged. But if you have seen otherwise then that is intersting to know....?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think they include a O2 bypass with the PCV? There is no mention of this in the instructions, they say to just leave it unplugged. But if you have seen otherwise then that is intersting to know....?

On the R1 there is a module you plug in when you disconnect the O2 sensor.
I don't know if it is the same on the FZ6 but a visit to Dynojet should tell us.

Last edited:

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
just looked up the instructions and you are right. as motogiro said, every other bike we have done has included a o2 module. Guess the FZ6 isn't that sophisticated.