Power Commander III Benefits

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I've read a lot about the PCIII on the forum, but can't find a definite answer from someone who has the PCIII.

Is the idle softer? Does it rev more freely and are the flat-spots (Be it ever so noticeable) a bit smoother as well?

Is it worth the $?

Peace ;)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I put 2 brothers on my 2007, no Power Commander and bike runs just fine. Save your money for other mods IMO

With a decent set of free breathing pipes, a BMC airfilter, a PCIII, and a custom map...i got 9.4 extra hp at the rear wheel...that's a 10% increase in real world grunt.

Great bang for buckl IMHO! And yes, it does makes things smoother, and if you get a decent custom map done, you get a much "flatter" torque curve....in other words, the flat spot at about 5500-6000rpm evens out.

:thumbup:

This and braided lines....my 2 favourite mods!

:thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually the PCIII is a NASA developed black box that has anti-gravity properties. The beauty thing about this is if begin to low side it will prevent you and your bike from crashing. The down side of AG is that in the event of a high side the bike will ritten itself that much faster, contributing to a higher obit of the rider. So be careful with those mods.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually the PCIII is a NASA developed black box that has anti-gravity properties. The beauty thing about this is if begin to low side it will prevent you and your bike from crashing. The down side of AG is that in the event of a high side the bike will ritten itself that much faster, contributing to a higher obit of the rider. So be careful with those mods.

You forgot Pete...PCIII's also make your bike invisible to radar!

;)

yamadamadoo

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's an early prototype vid of a bike with PCIII.

They have come a long way since then.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fa0GmdSN4A&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Insane Tankslap Recovery[/ame]

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I put Scorps on my bike with no PCIII.

Then I put the PCIII on :rockon:

Do it!

I was lucky enough to bag a bargain on Ebay - pre-loaded with custom map. Saved probably $150. :D

Dr.Landau

Reaction score
Visit site
I attended a local bike night on Thursday, met an interesting guy who told me to save my $300 and he would program the "stock" chip for $20.

I didnt realize you need not have the PC "hardwired" into your bike. Unless your on a cup inspired bike doing cup inspired riding (frequent remapping), whats the point of purchasing the powercommander? Prestige/Bling?

FI is very similar to NA jetting, once you've got it dialed in, why would you mess with it further?

Im getting cheaper by the minute :)

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
The CO adjustments you can do on the gauges are limited in relation to what a PowerCommander can do.

The main benefit of a powercommander is of course added power, by adding or subtracing fuel at any given RPM and throttle position. Of course it's useless unless you get a good map or a custom dynotune map specifically for your bike and mods.

But once you do, the difference is amazing. I've tried many different maps for mine, and the dynotuned map is incredible. You can tell the differences in throttle response and power.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I attended a local bike night on Thursday, met an interesting guy who told me to save my $300 and he would program the "stock" chip for $20.

I didnt realize you need not have the PC "hardwired" into your bike. Unless your on a cup inspired bike doing cup inspired riding (frequent remapping), whats the point of purchasing the powercommander? Prestige/Bling?

FI is very similar to NA jetting, once you've got it dialed in, why would you mess with it further?

Is your parking lot tech a technical engineer specializing in fuel injection systems? Does he have a dyno? Did he tell you how he could program your "chip" accurately?

The fact that the word "chip" was used would send me running in the opposite direction. Wonder if this "chip" programmer also runs the "yut-ungh school of stunting."

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

You can't "program" Yamaha ECUs, they are locked out if you will. Suzuki, Buell, HD, and others can be tuned with programs like Tune Boy, Teka, etc. We are SOL in Yamaha land, hence the Power Commander.

Dr.Landau

Reaction score
Visit site
I admit, Ive not tuned any 4 stroke FI bikes, so I claim no prowice in this area, and I appreciate the positive input from those that know. But with the experience of jetting carbeurated bikes, Ive never had to DYNO them, they run rich/lean, get on it and go....thats my Dyno.

I just thought it interesting that I wouldnt need to purchase the box itself (to have and to hold), and could conceivably achieve the same ends by having someone change the computer programming to the stock computer CHIP, (circuit board) to keep you from running.

Ive been looking for myself to see if the Yamaha ECU is actually locked and came up with this video. If the ECU is accesible in this way, I find it hard to believe that a "parking lot tech" could not get in deeper (if needed) to apply changes to a piece of computer technology.

[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRF5RYkZwjQ&feature=player_embedded"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRF5RYkZwjQ&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

SovietRobot, I see what you mean by the limited CO adjustments using the dash, but all I want is for the bike to run efficently (after adding a tuned pipe)i.e. proper fuel/air ratio. Im not looking to race the bike.

Wow thank God for the SEARCH feature:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/30125-enable-co-adjustment-usa-only-lean-richen.html

Last edited:

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
By "locked", they mean the software is locked. The CO adjustment is merely hidden. The CO is the only adjustment accessible to us. The rest of the software on the ECU can only be toyed with by Yamaha engineers and the like. The rest of the wires on the harness, are what goes to the various bits on the moto, like the fuel injectors, ignition, etc.

If you're just looking to do fine adjustments after an exhaust, the CO adjustment is just fine. A PC3 would be better overall(not just for power), but it's far from absolutely necessary. I did the CO adjustment, and it's good enough for me! Well, for now anyways. lol

Last edited:

Dr.Landau

Reaction score
Visit site
By "locked", they mean the software is locked. The CO adjustment is merely hidden. The CO is the only adjustment accessible to us. The rest of the software on the ECU can only be toyed with by Yamaha engineers and the like. The rest of the wires on the harness, are what goes to the various bits on the moto, like the fuel injectors, ignition, etc.

If you're just looking to do fine adjustments after an exhaust, the CO adjustment is just fine. A PC3 would be better overall(not just for power), but it's far from absolutely necessary. I did the CO adjustment, and it's good enough for me! Well, for now anyways. lol

Thats AWESOME novaks! Exactally what I was hoping to hear. I think I shall persue the knowledge of the parking lot tech I met, was a real nice and approachable gent. Turns out this" PLT" owns Earls cycles in town, great source for used parts.

Thanks for the help.

Dr.Landau

Reaction score
Visit site