Popped a mini Wheelie... (by accident)

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
I just get off work that day and i'm pretty tired.
I'm riding and the traffic is dying down but it's still going(it's around 7:20PM).

I wait at a red light, and it finally turns green, i'm thinking "finally this **** has been red for like 10 minutes". I take off and take a left and as i'm completeing my turn I shift into second and suddenly I notice the light ahead of me is turning yellow. I'm thinking "wtf I just waited like 20 minutes at the other lights:spank:"

So whatever, I pull up, i'm behind two cars, and next to a huge ass 18 wheeler to my right.(this is a two lane area, the bridge that comes off a highway). I'm in my left lane and I need to get in my right and I notice the truck has his left blinker on so i'm like ****.

Anywho the light turns green, I start to take off when the cars in front of me start moving.. I stall :shakehead: mind you there's a bunch of cars behind me so i'm like ****! I quickly start up my bike, and rev it up a little just to make sure I don't stall again :rolleyes:.

I let go of my clutch and hear my rear tire screech and my front tire popped up and dropped, and I took off(god my bike picks up quick :D)

Turns out I was still in second gear and I didn't downshift when I came to the stop :shakehead: but now I will be more cautious. :thumbup:

Just thought I would share my noob story with all of you :rolleyes:

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, I killed my bike starting it in second more than once while I was learning. Don't feel bad. :thumbup:

Eventually you reach a point where even if you do accidentally start in second, you instinctively hear the engine lugging and give it more gas (and less clutch) before you even think about it.

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, I killed my bike starting it in second more than once while I was learning. Don't feel bad. :thumbup:

Eventually you reach a point where even if you do accidentally start in second, you instinctively hear the engine lugging and give it more gas (and less clutch) before you even think about it.

Haha hopefully not as much as I did the other day :rolleyes:

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
LOL I've done that too :rolleyes:
I'm looking down thinking what have I broke now then realise at the next junction I was a gear higher than I thought

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
No issues starting in 3rd gear here :D but I digress if you popped the clutch like that on the 9 it would buck you off of it. :)

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I've started off in my Sprint a couple times in 3rd gear. I never could get my FZ to start out in anything but 1st without stalling it. Hubbie bought me a gear indicator for my Triumph so that won't happen anymore. lol We will see about that.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The little fizzer has her moments.... Sat eve went deep in the woods to feed critters. On the way home and w the fuel light just turning on, i was on it from a stand still which brought the nose up to the balance point. Hit 2nd and carried that way beyond anything before. It touched down at about 80.
Usually i lift the throttle when 2nd comes up, but didn't this time... What a hoot! Rather squidwerd like action i suppose. :spank: Point; When low on fuel careful what you ask for! Let the flames begin. :rolleyes:
I'm thinking nakid bikes have an advantage in this area!

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Probably still go further on E than the 9 on it's massive 2.5gallons before E :) pass everything but a gas station on this 35mpg machine :D

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive done something similar before, was behind a bunch of slow traffic on a local secondary one land highway. We were stopped at a red light so I casually rolled up to the front in the empty turning lane watching the lights and timing my approach so I would be at the front of the line to cut in when it turned green. When it turned I revved it high in first and popped the clutch... only to find a nice slippery bit of gravel in the intersection, I had the back end out quite a bit while I stayed on the power as it bounced off the rev limiter until I hit clean pavement and the rear wheel caught and popped the front wheel up. I think it finally came back down at about 100 km/h or so at which point I got out of there so no one could read my plate and make a complaint, Ill tell you I sure felt like a squid and idiot, I'm usually pretty chilled out when I ride, just something about that day made I guess. I guess it taught me I can handle it when things get a little sideways under power, it happened so quickly I'm not sure what I did but I guess it ended well.

Gave my head a shake and promised myself not to do it again.