Poor FZ6 Preformance. Need help! Error code 46

viser_08

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a 2006 fz6. All stock except i've got a set of scorpion cans on the back. Had intermittent preformance at the end of last year. Started up this season to check things out, and I've got all time poor preformance. Idle isn't correct, and no acceceration preformance. I cant seem to find the problem.

These are all the things i've tested so far.

both ignition coils
stator
crankshaft position sensor
TPS

I was given Error Code 46 on my diag. screen.

ANy Ideas?

A quick search turned up this:

Fault Code: 46
Diagnostic Code: --
Symptom: Power supply to the FI system is not normal.
Probable cause of malfunction:
Malfunction in "CHARGING SYSTEM".

I'd go start checking the electrical again. Alternator, wiring, loose/corroded connections, etc

This is my 3rd time around checking over things, so thats why I've decided to post online for help. Hopefully whatever it is falls in front of my face next time I'm in the garage.

This is my 3rd time around checking over things, so thats why I've decided to post online for help. Hopefully whatever it is falls in front of my face next time I'm in the garage.

Besides checking wires plugs and connections, have you checked actual voltages at the battery? Make sure you're at least 12 plus VDC. You should show 13+ VDC with the engine running. Probably not the problem but check voltages. Other things that could cause a problem is high resistance at the kill switch. I always suggest making a temporary jumper to eliminate the contacts and test run the bike to see if it behaves. Disconnect the negative lead on the battery for a few minutes to dump volatile memory and clear codes.

Please let us know what you find.

i would check battery voltage anything below 12.5 is half charged check,earth points and battery connections,as a side note my brother has a yamaha r1 he got new in 2000 and it had a running fault from new that no dealer could sort,ended up been a grimped connection inside the loom,soldered the joint and its been fine ever since

12.0 is 100% discharged actually. 12.66 is 100% charged. Very little difference in voltage makes a huge difference in cranking power.

Where are y'all getting this info? 12.0 is 99% of the time ok, as for cranking it's not the volts anyways it's the amperage, I've seen a battery putting out 13.5v not start because it no longer had the amps, and I've had brand new battery's test at 11.0v and start just fine

I will check into the kill switch. The battery was fully charged at like 12.8 volts. It cranks and starts no problem, but just runs poorly. Maybe that kill switch is my problem. I have a tendency to use that to shut off my bike more than i do with the key. I'll see what I find out this weekend.

Thanks for the help everybody.

Where are y'all getting this info? 12.0 is 99% of the time ok, as for cranking it's not the volts anyways it's the amperage, I've seen a battery putting out 13.5v not start because it no longer had the amps, and I've had brand new battery's test at 11.0v and start just fine

All true but each cell puts out 2.11 ~ 2.12 volts or there abouts depending on the temperature of the battery. 6 Cells X 2.11 = 12.66v FWIW: I pulled mine in November and sat it inside. Measured 12.99V. When I put it back 4 months later (no charging for 4 months) it was 12.91V. So its all about the temp and the internal resistance of the battery that determines its voltage.

back on topic:
Can you hear it misfire? Do you know what it would sound like if it did misfire?

Fuel quality
TPS
Spark plugs
Spark Plug wires (mist them with water) if quits running I'd replace them.
Bad ign coils. Mist them with water or watch them in darkness for arc over.
Fuel delivery. Dirty injectors. bad grounds, faulty connections.
Air leaks between the throttle body and cyl head

So from all of that and the Error 46; I'd pull every connector on the ignition, ECM, and fuel system apart and inspect them for corrosion.

Thats what comes to mind. . .

12.0 is 100% discharged actually. 12.66 is 100% charged. Very little difference in voltage makes a huge difference in cranking power.

Depth of charge near the prescribed nominal voltage is what's important for cranking power. You could take two 9 volt transistor radio batteries and series them for 18 volts. They will never start your bike. :D

Its got a new stator too. Put that in a few weeks back because the old one was bad. I'm heading to the garage now. We'll see what things come out to with switches and wiring. wish me luck.

kyle

If you replaced the stator a few weeks ago it could be associated with that. Check all the connections again. One could be loose. And pull them and look for corrosion also.

Back