Poll: Most significant solution, for abrupt throttle response?

Most significant solution for abrupt throttle response?

• G2 Throttle tamer

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Power Commander

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Reflash the e-prom

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Don't bother, not significant enough

Votes: 42 70.0%
  • Dont waste your money, get a different bike

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Other: Please explain

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would love to fix the "lag" while rolling on the throttle after closed throttle decel. No matter how smoothly I try to twist the throttle, it feels like there is a good 1/2 second where its not applying fuel, then a surge of power, and then it calms down. My 04 never had this issue. I have ridden alot of bikes as well, and this is the worst I have ever felt a throttle be. Maybe my Scorpion pipes with no tune is causing the problem. It can be very unsettling though dipping into a corner and getting a surge of power as if you blipped the throttle.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
At higher revs and up to speed it's not too much of an issue, I try and not come totally off the throttle. HOWEVER, riding in the parking deck at work is a totally different experience - bad!!!! Got my route all planned out and the sweeping curves on the ramp totally figured out and then ... people!!! They back out in front of you, walk in front of you and generally make you do bad stuff like --- let off the gas!!!! Oh no twist it back on - first, big lag then bam off ya go in a big lurch. That's OK just look like I started riding last week....

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
I've noticed two things lately on my FZ6 which helped throttle control.

First: Try to clean & lube spring attached to throttle bodies and throttle cables on left side of bike. Mine was dirty and sticky (probably from some strange kind of cable lube). First I used brake cleaner to remove all gunk and then I lubed it with regular spray teflon lube.

Second: try to change position of brake lever. I've rotated mine forward (downward). It fixed my wrist position so no wrist pain anymore and leaded to better throttle control. Before that change i was really thinking about getting power commander. Now I think it can wait. I'm able to be smooth on throttle.

If you try and of those suggestions, let me know if it worked for you.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I have to admit it is the most undesirable aspect of owning the bike.
You haven't mentioned the most cost effective and easiest method. Which rectifies a good proportion of the issue.
Adjust the throttle cable slack and ensure engine idle speed is correct.

Neil

+1 to adjusting the throttle cable slack. My new to me '08 FZ6 showed up with a fairly sloppy throttle, I went to the dealer to feel a '12 FZ6R for comparison and it is night and day. Cheapest fix of all if you have an 8 and 10 mm open ended wrenchs

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I think Erci nailed it. Mine too seems sensitive but I feel like it's the 98 horses underneath me just snorting, impatiently waiting to be unleashed.

Reflecting on what some others mentioned though, my '09 must have had the cheapest control cables ever made. New they stretched like CRAZY! Now with nearly 5000 miles on the clock and over three years later they seemed to have settled down, (though most of the adjustment is used up in both the throttle and the clutch cables).

Safe Riding!

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
Please excuse me if I'm repeating something someone has previously said as I haven't had time to read the entire thread :(, I do however feel I have something important to add.

I'll keep it short and sweet, the one thing I've done to my 2007 model that improved the throttle 'switchiness' or 'abruptness' was perform a throttle body sync as accurately and obsessively as is humanly possible... discuss!

Yamahaboyz

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Rider skill aside, the fact is that this issue is real and there is nothing wrong with trying to improve the bike's performance.

G2 throttle cam
Slightly higher idle
Adjust slack in your throttle (after installing cam)
Confirm chain is adjusted within spec
Keep your TBs synched

The above cost me $65 and combined with the kilernoodle slave mod, made the bike a real dream off the line, around town, down shifting, clutching wheelies, and on/off the throttle in low gear at high RPM. I'm not one to add pipes or bling, but I like a well sorted bike.

The PC3 plus tune is the expensive way to go.
Is this a pre '07 thang, cuz after jump'in off the FJR, the FZ6 seems quite "docile." Mine's stock, and there's no abruptness? :don'tknow:

Your avatar reminds me of here...

DSC01559.jpg

Leesville Lodoga Rd or Mt Ham?

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Is this a pre '07 thang, cuz after jump'in off the FJR, the FZ6 seems quite "docile." Mine's stock, and there's no abruptness? :don'tknow:

I feel the same way. I've owned and driven plenty of bikes that have a big enough hit off idle that it almost feels like you're going to fall off the back of the bike if you're not paying attention.

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with Yamahaboyz on this.
I did my TB's about 8 weeks ago.
I recently re-checked my TB's and they were still off by 20mm on one barrel and generally not level. So I got obsessive, did it again and re-checked at 4000rpm - tricky as the idle screw doesn't allow - you have to hold her steady.
I also reduced the cable play to almost zero - checking of course the full lock to lock test.
Lubed up cables and rode. I find my 08 S ok. Sure the fuel cut might be an issue for some, but I was taught by a damn good trainer. 2 things he said always stick in my mind:

"Son, the throttle is NOT a switch, treat it like a woman. Stroke it."
and
"Learn to feather the clutch when you need extra control at any speed."
(I'm not advocating here that you do that mid corner!!)

He then got us to experience the controlled braking force of the engine, not by slamming the throttle shut but, at 30mph, clutch in - roll off, then ease the clutch out to biting point. Result smoother roll-off. Particularly when the 2actions are sync'ed together properly, as he went on to demonstrate.

Now I can see from the vibrant opinion in this thread that everyone has their own onpinion of how they should be riding. I repsect that. Its your bike after all. A different riding technique to mine may well call for a different (expensive) solution.

I think what some here are trying to say is, have a go at tightening up on technique first then if it still bothers you go fix!

Oh, and IMHO, ride 2-up more often. That'll learn ya! If her lid's not bashing your back every time you touch the grip, you're doing fine.

Meantime, ditto on chain adjust/cable lube/lever position/cable slack remedies.

After that, I don't know s**t.:D

We're individuals. Aint gonna work for everybody! ;)

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
the one that helped me the most was a new chain, and gearing the sprockets down slightly

old chain had a couple of kinks and was dragging causing the engine to struggle a bit under low rpms, gearing it down a bit makes slow speed stuff a bit easier

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Another cheap thing to try is to get GSXR throttle tube (I've got one from 2006). It have smaller diameter on cable leads (AFAIK GSXR have 1/4 while FZ6 have 1/5) so you have to twist it more to open throttle with GSXR tube but it gives you more control.

I've installed it yesterday and I like it so far.

It's cheap - you can get GSXR throttle tube for ~ $10 from ebay. Good way of testing if G2 Throttle tamer will do a job for you.

PS to mods: Sorry for resurrecting old thread. It seemed better to keep all info in one thread rather than creating new one.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Another cheap thing to try is to get GSXR throttle tube (I've got one from 2006). It have smaller diameter on cable leads (AFAIK GSXR have 1/4 while FZ6 have 1/5) so you have to twist it more to open throttle with GSXR tube but it gives you more control.

I've installed it yesterday and I like it so far.

It's cheap - you can get GSXR throttle tube for ~ $10 from ebay. Good way of testing if G2 Throttle tamer will do a job for you.

PS to mods: Sorry for resurrecting old thread. It seemed better to keep all info in one thread rather than creating new one.
Good point and good post,
Nothing wrong with keeping an old thread going.
I added a fuel additive to my tank the last fill and the throttle lag was noticeably less than normal. There is one particular roundabout on the way to work that i have to hit just right; or I really get the lag big time, since the fuel additive it seems much smoother than before.
I got the additive to flush the injectors and the fuel rail through. The reduced lag is purely an incidental finding.
Anyone else experienced a similar finding?

neil

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the additive to flush the injectors and the fuel rail through. The reduced lag is purely an incidental finding.
Anyone else experienced a similar finding?

I've might noticed change in "bog" characteristics depending what I'm filling in with. How many octanes and what brand of fuel. But it's just feeling. I don't trust my feeling unless I have data to support it :)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We only have 95 RON available. The additive I used is called "RED X injector additive.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

BlackMilk

Reaction score
Visit site
Exactly the thread I've needed since buying my '08 FZ6 S2 I've found the on/off throttle response terrible! Takes "digital riding" to a new level.

Unfortunately I think a PC or reflash will be the only true fix but £280 is hard to swallow.

I fitted a PC to my Dads Yamaha 660XT which sorted the same problem

Can anyone recommend "Motorcycle-Superstore" ??

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...-Power-Commander-V-2008-Yamaha-FZ6-Parts.aspx

Last edited: