Poll it up...How many people ride & listen to music?

Do you listen to music when you ride?

• Of course i do, otherwise i'd get bored

Votes: 147 49.7%
  • Only with one ear piece in, so i can hear for sirens too!

Votes: 36 12.2%
  • Definitely no, that's unsafe!

Votes: 113 38.2%

• Total voters

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have thought about it, but haven't so far. I figure it's best to be able to hear as much of what is going on around you as possible. As much fun as it would be to get out on the interstate listening to some death metal, I think it would just cause more trouble than it's worth. I already find myself speeding in my car sometimes depending on what I'm listening to.

So I gave it a shot this morning because I knew traffic would be light. I didn't crank up the volume, so couldn't hear the music all that well at times. The main problem I had was putting on my helmet without pulling the headphones out of my ears somewhat. Wasn't bad, but I don't think it's something I'll do on a regular basis.

mabbott

Reaction score
Visit site
Some people need a distraction to stay focused. I am lucky that I work well with distraction (comes in handy working in an office with 8 people taking at once!) and I love listening to music when I ride.

I also agree that if you can not focus on riding with the distraction of music, then you shouldn't listen while you ride.

Be safe, whichever you choose!

sFoster

new rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the in the ear type and you would be surprised you don't have to turn them up all that load to hear the music, they act as an ear plug and headphones. The one I have is from Best-Buy it is by a company called Ear Candy I believe

Is that blue tooth compatible?
I'd like to be able to use my cell phone to answer calls, play MP3s while I ride, and even voice activate the GPS feature so it can tell me what route to go on unfamiliar drives.

tmilheiser

Reaction score
Visit site
images

40 mile ride to work always with music, different playlists for morning ride, ride home and weekend ride. not loud enough to hear all of the lyrics on the highway, but enough to jam to and great for being bored in traffic. and my earphones dont slip off when putting my helmet on or taking it off, but the backs are fexible so i can pull them down out the helmet if need be.:thumbup:

sFoster

new rider
Reaction score
Visit site
images

40 mile ride to work always with music, different playlists for morning ride, ride home and weekend ride. not loud enough to hear all of the lyrics on the highway, but enough to jam to and great for being bored in traffic. and my earphones dont slip off when putting my helmet on or taking it off, but the backs are fexible so i can pull them down out the helmet if need be.:thumbup:

that's not going to protect you from hearing damage
it will just talk over the traffic noise, so to speak, by pumping more decibels into your ears on top of everything else.

H3LR4ZR

Insomniac
Reaction score
brhelwig.com
I wear good earplugs now as i'm trying to limit additional hearing damage from listening to loud rock music all the time in my high school and college years.

Now I have to deal with tinnitus. However, if I can find a good pair of earbuds that filter out the external noise so I can listen at a reasonable level, i might listen to music.

I'd like to get a Sirius radio hooked up like i saw on a goldwing. :rockon:

sFoster

new rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I went down to bestbuy yesterday to check these earplugs out.
They're called "sound isolating" and are made by shure.

my bestbuy had 2 of the models
SE115 and SE210

They have 3 size tips that you can slide in your ear like a plug.

I seem to have read good reviews so far, but the SE115 is $100.
I think I might buy it anyway! I could use a good pair of headphones for more than just riding

sFoster

new rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the pair of SE115.
The largest padding seems to block out sound about the same as a normal ear plug, and the music sounds great at a much lower setting than I normally put my ipod at.

There is an included extension cord in the factory packaging.. but the normal cord is obscenely short. You could not possibly use this without the extension, unless you're plugging it directly into your helmet somewhere.

So far I am happy with them (aside from the price!).
They do what I bought them for. I'll try riding with them later today.

Dave G

Reaction score
Visit site
I never listen to music and ride! Although it may be a good idea to drown out those voices telling me to DO IT DO IT DO IT :sinister:

sFoster

new rider
Reaction score
Visit site
how well do they work when riding, do they fall off when trying to put your helmet on or off?

not absolutely perfect since the helmet shifts them around a little bit.
I haven't had much of a problem when putting them helmet on; they seem to fall out sometimes when taking the helmet off.

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually got some skull candy ear buds at a discounted rate from a local cycle gear shop and have been listening to music a lot more while riding lately. Mainly just on longer rides because it's just one more thing to mess with between stops.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually got some skull candy ear buds at a discounted rate from a local cycle gear shop and have been listening to music a lot more while riding lately. Mainly just on longer rides because it's just one more thing to mess with between stops.
That's what I have been using for the past two seasons and they are still working well and I am very happy with them. The sound is good just wish the rubber bits didn't come off so easy, they didn't at first but they have loosened up.... superglue time maybe.:rockon:

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's what I have been using for the past two seasons and they are still working well and I am very happy with them. The sound is good just wish the rubber bits didn't come off so easy, they didn't at first but they have loosened up.... superglue time maybe.:rockon:

Ahh, I've only had them for a week or so..haven't run into that issue yet. Thanks for the heads up though. I can see how that would become a problem. Do you switch out the sizes often, or do the ones that sit on there just loosen up?