Poll it up...How many people ride & listen to music?

Do you listen to music when you ride?

• Of course i do, otherwise i'd get bored

Votes: 147 49.7%
  • Only with one ear piece in, so i can hear for sirens too!

Votes: 36 12.2%
  • Definitely no, that's unsafe!

Votes: 113 38.2%

• Total voters

Luiz

Reaction score
Visit site
I listen with my right earphone plugged in. Something about the left ear being better at picking up sounds.

I love music, and although it still would be fun to ride without its so much better with it.

spamthefood

Reaction score
Visit site
I switch between earplugs and headphones depending on how far I'm going and what kind of mood I'm in. I tend to zone out with earplugs in and I definitely get in the zone when I'm listening to music (for better or worse).

W

wrightme43

somedays yes somedays no. Interstate travel gets earplugs instead.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I chose "no" but I don't know that it's unsafe (except of course for your ears.)

I never listen to music when riding. I always wear earplugs to protect my ears. I figure if you have earbuds turned up loud enough to hear the music over the ambient noise then you're WAY over the safe Db limit. Ambient noise on a bike is above that limit as it is (Yes, even with a big screen and a top shelf Arai helmet.)

I constantly listen to music when I'm not on the bike. When I'm on it though, I love the mildly muted sound of the bike and the road.

Just my $0.02 (take with a grain of salt though, I've never tried it.)

lordplayer

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I listen on longer rides. Scary thing is I notice when I stop, turn the bike off, and then turn the music off, I realize just how much sound my ears were being subjected to. It's always an OMG moment.

It's defenitely not good for the long-term health of your hearing. Two Brothers exhaust, wind noise, and tire noise are already too much. But even as I write this I gotta say that music really has added a lot to my riding. Twisties are fun without music, but fun in a different way with some nice beats motivating you. :rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I dont listen to music on the bike.....being a DJ, i get plenty of time to listen to music, so i use my bike time to give myself a break from tunes....used to listen on the bike, but these days i also prefer the sounds of my TB's.

:thumbup:

eyedoc

Reaction score
Visit site
Molded silicone earplugs with tiny speakers built into them. They really cut down the ambient noise so the music doesn't need to be loud at all. I only use them on long rides in the country. I like to hear traffic in town.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the in the ear type and you would be surprised you don't have to turn them up all that load to hear the music, they act as an ear plug and headphones. I would recommend these if you have to turn your mp3 player way up to hear your music. Only problem is if you are group riding and are at a light and want to chat with your bud. Even if you hit pause it can be tough to hear people because of the thing being stuck in your ear canal. The one I have is from Best-Buy it is by a company called Ear Candy I believe, it isn't uncomfortable at least not the first hour with it. You might want to take it out for a rest after that.

As far as safety I don't think it plays to much of a factor, sure no headphones will be safer but so would driving a truck, I can still hear a horn if it is in close proximity. Other than that I don't know what I would hear that could save my butt , maybe squealing tires but most of the work is going to be done by the eyes anyway.

Last edited:

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I listen to the sound of "riding" only...not to mention I am too easily influenced by certain types of music, listening to "Metallica" or "Staind" would not help my calm demeanor...and may therefore reduce my life expectancy. :rockon:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have a problem nor a phobia of not being able to hear on my bike,or going deaf from it being to loud(TOO LOUD is not in my vocabulary)but like Wolfman said I also listen to the radio all day at work and at home on my back porch and while I'm browsing this site.so I don't listen all the time on the bike's.I like to enjoy the sound's they make sometimes.:D

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I listen to music all the time. I use noise isolating ear buds (JVC marshmellows) with my Garmin mp3 player volume at 2 out of 10. I can hear the music and the traffic just fine. I can hear cars, horns etc. If I am on the highway, I may need to turn the volume up to 3 of 10. Since I'm used to working, studying and reading with music, riding ins a natural extension. It really makes my rides enjoyable (smooth jazz!)

If you really have to crank up the volume, you are probably hurting your ears.

Yatz86

Chick Magnet
Reaction score
Visit site
i usually listen to it wherever I go....keeps me alert.....the music helps if im stuck in a city jam:)

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Scala Rider Q2, it has the embeded fm radio, so i either listen to that or i use the fm transmitter on my ipod nano, one thing I have found is it is plenty loud to hear the music, and I can still hear horns, loud exhuasts, sirens, etc. I would never ride with ear buds! And at least in NY it is illegal!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does singing count? Honestly, I don't own an Ipod or M3 player.

I'm still waiting for the first helmet to come equipped with XM radio.