Polishing Headers

eeyore

Reaction score
Visit site
What do you guys/gals us to polish the headers on the FZ6? Mine are a little dull and since its way to cold and snowy to ride the bike i just assume fiddle with a few things on it.

Autosol Metal Polish?

What do you guys/gals us to polish the headers on the FZ6? Mine are a little dull and since its way to cold and snowy to ride the bike i just assume fiddle with a few things on it.

Autosol Metal Polish?

Could do it.....
Beer and elbow grease! :thumbup:

See thread - Polishing Exhaust Headers

IMO they are plated so don't go nuts sanding. Scotchbrite is enough and use a couple of compounds. The final that works well is Mothers Mag aluminum polish. I use an old pair of denim levi legs and shoe shine pull-pull...
55817d1420343923-polishing-exhaust-headers-dsc_7979-jpg

Those are off the bike for another reason, but its easier on the bike as they stay still.

Holy smoke I don't think the headers were that shiny when the bike was new .....

Truth be known, those are fleebay S1 headers I didn't think would clean up. Bought them for the S2 time warp to ditch the mini CATs and pick up some throttle response which worked very nicely! :thumbup::thumbup:

So, I grabbed some S1 fleebay headers expecting they may never clean up and look nice and "they may need" ceramic coating, but w/some elbow grease they came around! For now, no coatings, just clean them. :D

Used was:
1st cut = Red Scotch brite pad and rubbing compound
2nd go = denim and mothers mag polish in the old "shoe shine" technic

Who knew they'd go from this:
55814d1420343923-polishing-exhaust-headers-06-5-jpg

55815d1420343923-polishing-exhaust-headers-dsc_7971-jpg

TO THIS!!!
55816d1420343923-polishing-exhaust-headers-dsc_7977-jpg

55817d1420343923-polishing-exhaust-headers-dsc_7979-jpg

This is the process - although these are the originals. Pic from Nov 2014 during valve lash adjustment and the radiator and fairing were off.
IMG_20141126_105454_162_zps08f116e2.jpg

I'll post up when on the bike! They need an o2 bung installed first!

JJD952 Header

After one run, looking like Marshmallow's already.... :(
More info here --> Click pic bleow...

Mine where like this when I bought my bike not long ago.i used coca cola and a soft scouring pad to remove surface rust then buffed up with autosol metal polish only took a couple of hours to do

Back