Pointy tread wear on front tire

RobberRog

Reaction score
Visit site
I am concerned about the tread pattern on my 2007 FZ6. I mainly ride on streets and I'm not an aggressive rider. Is this bad riding habits, improper tire pressure or worn bearings? If you haven't notice I'm not that good with mechanical topics either. Thanks in advance.

Roger

I will post pics for you to see.

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
The tread looks like it is down to the wear bars and then some. I would get a new tire and quickly. Blowing the rear tire is bad enough at speed but the front tire is nothing to screw with. That being said it does look like a bit of a strange wear pattern.

dantrigg

Reaction score
Visit site
I am concerned about the tread pattern on my 2007 FZ6. I mainly ride on streets and I'm not an aggressive rider. Is this bad riding habits, improper tire pressure or worn bearings? If you haven't notice I'm not that good with mechanical topics either. Thanks in advance.

Roger

I will post pics for you to see.

It looks like low tire pressure to me. I had my first BT-021 do the same thing to me when I didn't keep a close eye on the tire pressure. Shortly after I put it on we took a trip to Branson, about 5 hours the long way. After we got there I noticed major wear that looked, not as bad, but, similar to your pictures. I checked the tire pressure and I had about 25lbs. I have been keeping air pressure in mine about 36lbs on the second one and I have been getting good wear patterns since. If you search the BT-021 some other people have recommended running higher pressures than the yamaha spec in order to get good life out of the BT-021.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
It looks like low tire pressure to me. I had my first BT-021 do the same thing to me when I didn't keep a close eye on the tire pressure. Shortly after I put it on we took a trip to Branson, about 5 hours the long way. After we got there I noticed major wear that looked, not as bad, but, similar to your pictures. I checked the tire pressure and I had about 25lbs. I have been keeping air pressure in mine about 36lbs on the second one and I have been getting good wear patterns since. If you search the BT-021 some other people have recommended running higher pressures than the yamaha spec in order to get good life out of the BT-021.

I'd agree..... that tire has been run about 10 lbs low for some time.

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
over the summer when I was living in Idyllwild which is in the mountains, my front tire wore out quicker on the sides than the center. It was awesome to see the sides become bald and the center have a little bit of life left...it showed the FZ6 was being used on roads that if loved...ie., the twisties.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In the second picture I think I'm seeing one of those tire pressure indicators on the fill valve of the tire. Get a good tire gauge and check your pressure more often. I wouldn't rely on that pressure indicator unless you know for sure it's dead on, which I doubt.

That front tire also is shows cupping. Time for new rubber! :D

RobberRog

Reaction score
Visit site
The tread looks like it is down to the wear bars and then some. I would get a new tire and quickly. Blowing the rear tire is bad enough at speed but the front tire is nothing to screw with.

I have a new set of Michlin Pilot Road 2's in my trunk. I wanted to know what was causing the wear for fear I'd do the very same thing to the new set.

RobberRog

Reaction score
Visit site
In the second picture I think I'm seeing one of those tire pressure indicators on the fill valve of the tire. Get a good tire gauge and check your pressure more often. I wouldn't rely on that pressure indicator unless you know for sure it's dead on, which I doubt.

I did test the pressure indicators with a couple of pressure gauges. I was surprised by the variance in the pressure guage readings. The indicators seem more reliable as a quick check. I agree they don't take the place of a GOOD TIRE PRESSURE GUAGE. I thought the round dial guage would be more accurate than the straight guage, but it didn't seem to be the case.

Seems my problem was relying on the Yamaha manual rather than the tire mfg'er. Thanks for the help folks!