PodLight Indicators

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I have my pods working as running lights but I still don't get how to make them into INDICATOR BLINKERS without relays. I have all the links but I would really like a link to a SIMPLE WIRING DIAGRAM. Any help?

Don't get much more simpler than this...hope it helps. It has realys. They are not scary and not that hard to work with.

LED%20wiring.jpg

PDF version: http://members.shaw.ca/fazed/pdfs/LED Signal Wiring.pdf

Last edited:

bottomedout39

Reaction score
Visit site
Why use relays if Ozfazer6 didn't, No diagram to simple splice into remaining wires?

ANY HELP Ozfazer6 ????

Last edited:

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
those diagrams lay it out pretty simply. If your not using it as a blinker look at the second diagram. It shows you exactly which wires to tap into. It shows you the color of the wire. The relays are in your bike controlling your blinkers already.

One mistake on either the diagram or the right-up from the same guy here:
http://members.shaw.ca/fazed/pdfs/FZ6 POD Light Mod.pdf

Says that the last wire is brown not green, but the two you would be worried about are black and blue in both diagram and right-up. I am not sure as I don't have my parts yet so I have not taken it apart and looked at the colors.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Using the 3rd diagram in the above image, if you simply take your two wires from you POD socket, you can splice them into the BLACK (-) and GREEN or BROWN (switched +) should do the trick.

As such.

POD LIGHTS AS BLINKERS (no running lights - only on when using singals; otherwise they are off)** Thisis how Ozfazer6 has them accoriding to his video.

LEFT SIDE

POD wire (-) splice to BLACK wire from left turn singal harnes on bike
POD wire (+) splice to BROWN wire from left turn singal harnes on bike

RIGHT SIDE

POD wire (+) splice to GREEN wire from left turn singal harnes on bike

POD LIGHTS MARKER LIGHTS (no blinkers; constantly on when the bike is on)

LEFT SIDE

POD wire (+) splice to BLUE wire from left turn singal harnes on bike

RIGHT SIDE

POD wire (+) splice to BLUE wire from left turn singal harnes on bike

If you want to have the POD lights as both running lights AND signals (on all the time, but flash when you use the signals), then you have to use a relay as you need 3 wires to do this, but you only have 2 coming from the POD light socket. The realy is used to give you that "3rd wire". I used realys as is put in LED turn signals, which only have 2 wires, and I needed 3 (like the OEM signal bulb has).

Last edited:

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why use relays if Ozfazer6 didn't, No diagram to simple splice into remaining wires?

ANY HELP Ozfazer6 ????

I didn't use relays,I just spliced straight into the indicator wires.Going this route you end up with indicators and no running lights.US models have running lights in the indicators yes ? Over here we don't.

Could you just splice into the indicator wires and leave the running light as is and have the pods as indicators only ?

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
Boneman, do you know if it is possible to wire them as both running light or blinker? Not sure that leds would work this way.

Thanks for the great information.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I didn't use relays,I just spliced straight into the indicator wires.Going this route you end up with indicators and no running lights.US models have running lights in the indicators yes ? Over here we don't.

Could you just splice into the indicator wires and leave the running light as is and have the pods as indicators only ?

Yes, Canadian and US models have running lights + signals (a 3 wire setup).

Yes you could just splice into the indicater wires only and not the constant 12vdc+ wire (BLUE) to have the POD lights just as turn signals only (off if signals are off). Refer to my post super simplified post above.

Last edited:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
One mistake on either the diagram or the right-up from the same guy here:
http://members.shaw.ca/fazed/pdfs/FZ6 POD Light Mod.pdf

Says that the last wire is brown not green, but the two you would be worried about are black and blue in both diagram and right-up. I am not sure as I don't have my parts yet so I have not taken it apart and looked at the colors.

That would be yours truly. The colours of the wires change depending on what side of the bike you are woking on (at least with my Canuck model anyway).

The wires from the stock connectors going to each turn signal are as follows:

LEFT

BLACK = Negative (-)
BLUE = Positive - constant + (this is for the always on running/marker lights)
BROWN = Switched positive (+) (this is turn signal relay +)

RIGHT

BLACK = Negative (-)
BLUE = Positive - constant + (this is for the always on running/marker lights)
GREEN = Switched positive (+) (this is turn signal relay +)

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Boneman, do you know if it is possible to wire them as both running light or blinker? Not sure that leds would work this way.

Thanks for the great information.

Yup, the 3rd diagrm in my wiring diagrm address that. Again, you will need to use relays. Refer to my post above for the written out explanation of this.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
If ya wanna get fancy, here is my POD light mod just before I installed my Watsen LED Flushie singals. My POD lights are constant ON and do not act as turn signals (hence them being a different color).

**WARNING - forward facing lights other than WHITE or AMBER are 'technically' illegal. Mod at your own risk. This mod cost me $100 inspection...that's why I added the hidden switch!

I ended up buying and using the largest 921 wedge based LED bulb I could get. I had to bore my POD light socket hole out a bit bigger and the bulb just fit in the hole. If I went any larger, the socket would not have pressed fit into the hole as the hole would have been now too big! The light output is amazing from these little (or not so little) LED bulbs! http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

921-x9.jpg

Boneman's "FAZED" web site - Mods:pod Lights

DSCF1813.JPG

Carefully installed rocker switch that is hidden under the rubber mirror boot. You can use the switch just by pressing on it over the rubber. Also a neat place to hide an engine kill switch!!

DSCF1895.JPG

DSCF1897.JPG

Little LED indicator to let me know if my POD lights are on or off.

DSCF2987.JPG

Last edited:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Thanks. Sorry for the aparant thread jack..Got excited....:steve:

After seeing your vid though, you've got me thinking about going the turn signal route. Having low profile LED flushies are nice, but visibility is reduced from OEM.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice work there OzFazer. Looks like I've found myself something to do with my time off work next week.

Boneman, those blue pod's look sweet, thanks for posting them again. I remember seeing that before, just couldn't remember where.
The hidden switch is brilliant. :thumbup:

:)

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. Sorry for the aparant thread jack..Got excited....:steve:

After seeing your vid though, you've got me thinking about going the turn signal route. Having low profile LED flushies are nice, but visibility is reduced from OEM.

I found a site a while ago but my PC crashed and I lost it.A guy was making dual socket pod adapters so that you could have running lights and blinkers.Wish I could find it again.

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
I ended up buying and using the largest 921 wedge based LED bulb I could get.

Ok, I'll bite. Is the 921 just a larger head that fits the same socket as the 194? From the website looks like double the # of leds but that does not always equate to brighter.

Although based upon the name "SUPER BRIGHT LEDS" I assume their's are :)

I'm pretty sure in another thread some relays were brought up but based upon your success with the mod do your recommend a particular relay? Or just hit the local auto supply store and get the cheapest?

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see the point of any color but white/amber other than for "bling factor".

I'm just gonna use amber because I plan on wiring up the pods as running and turn signals.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok,to compliment my pod lights I just installed my clear indicator lenses.
Once the orange bulbs have worn out I will be going with the chrome ones for that all clear look :D