po-boy accident repair

truckdude

Reaction score
Visit site
So my accident free 2009 FZ6 went down in the rain a couple of weeks ago when I hit uneven pavement in a construction zone.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/50232-not-virgin-anymore.html#post551426

Not a huge amount of damage to me or the bike thanks to the now 1/2" shorter slider but cosmetically it didn't look so good. Scrape in the oil pump cover and the lower bolt trashed:

IMG_3197_zpsa17048c8.jpg

And the mirror and headlight mole were scraped up:

IMG_3198_zps8503e654.jpg

I could have spent about $200 to replace the parts but being a cheapwad, decided to try my hand at repairs. The mirrors and moles come off pretty easily after you take the main panel off. I hit the scraped areas with some 180 grit sandpaper. It only took about 5 minutes of hand sanding to clean then up. Then I used some bondo spot filler on the deep scratches. I did the same thing on the oil pump cover with it on the bike. I had to use a little vice grip and tap hammer to get the messed up bolt out.

I bought a can of Rustoleum black textured plastic paint for $5. I knew I would never match the factory plastic finish so I painted both mirrors and moles to match. I gave them a couple of coats.

IMG_3216_zps5a744b41.jpg

IMG_3217_zps47562bd9.jpg

After it dried, the texture was a bit much compared to the original so so I knocked it down with a very light sanding with 1200 grit paper. It wasn't a perfect match but I think I would need to be parked next to another FZ6 for anyone to tell the difference.

IMG_3219_zpsedb0ac37.jpg

IMG_3251_zps90193238.jpg

IMG_3251_zps90193238.jpg

I have a new frame slider on order. I hit the oil pump cover with some semi-gloss black that I had handy. Too glossy so I still need to find the right engine paint. A 75 cent M6x1x20mm Allen head bolt painted silver completed the el cheapo repair.

IMG_3253_zpsb744e5fe.jpg

So other than the engine paint, I'm happy with the results, I hope this helps out someone else with the same issue.

IMG_3254_zps58b1b126.jpg

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
You think you're cheap. I fixed the minor scrapes on my stator cover with a black sharpie :rockon::rockon:. Between that and road grime you can't see the damage.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice handiwork!

Was that a Motovation frame slider? You are welcome to have this one, with some minor road rash from a recent garage tip over, and a new bolt, if you like. Just PM me your address and I'll ship it to you next week. (I have a new set I'll install.)

Last edited:

truckdude

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice handiwork!

Was that a Motovation frame slider? You are welcome to have this one, with some minor road rash from a recent garage tip over, and a new bolt, if you like. Just PM me your address and I'll ship it to you next week. (I have a new set I'll install.)

Thanks for the offer oaks. I'm not sure what brand these are. I already ordered some $18 extra long sliders off eBay. Total repair cost under $25.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice work. It'll make a good rainy day project. I've been trying to source a used headlight mole and mirror since I bought my bike almost a year ago. Now I just need paint!