Please help with misfire..

leetaylor742

Reaction score
Visit site
Afternoon! I have been looking at this forum daily since I got my FZ6 in November but have only had need to post a couple of times…

I have an annoying problem with my UK 2005 FZ6-N (bought with 24K miles and has now got just over 30k miles on it) that seems to have started overnight…. It feels like it has developed a misfire at low revs which shows itself as a hesitation when rolling on throttle from closed. It sort of jerks as though the revs are dropping and then picks up and pulls through ok once past about 6k – still lifts front wheel under acceleration in 1st anyway! It occasionally feels like it has cleared which makes me think its something electrical rather than mechanical?

It seems to have started since I changed the oil last weekend which I would imagine is a coincidence… I used the correct grade of oil and is up to the upper level on dipstick so cant see why that would affect bike – I did have bike flat out briefly while having a naughty moment with an Impreza STI the morning I changed oil but it felt fine on way back. Didn’t ride from Sat afternoon when oil was changed until Monday for work where it seems to have this misfire..

It starts and idles fine and has no unusual noises from engine that I have noticed. A couple of times it felt when I first rode it like it was running out of fuel before clearing up mostly apart from the jerk when rolling on throttle but there are no kinked hoses and I have run 2 tanks of fuel from different garages through it now.

I have run 2 bottles of injector cleaner through it this week which does not seem to have improved things and also unplugged and replugged all connections under the tank and run full diagnostics on bike which shows no error codes or check engine light. I also pulled the K&N filter which has only been in for a couple of months and it seems ok. The bike has not been wet washed for long time and is covered at night – It gets used all week for work and also some short runs at the weekend so don’t think its moisture in leads. I have pushed caps down onto plugs to make sure good connection.

I did have a now resolved problem with the TPS earlier this year which was causing high fuel consumption(the TPS was changed under recall but not adjusted so values read 25 – 107 which was making bike run very rich but I adjusted this and since March/April has been running very nicely with 40-45MPG compared to 25-30MPG) The TPS values on DIAG mode have not changed since I adjusted and when throttle is turned all the numbers are shown with no jumps.

I have ordered a set of NGK Iridium plugs and am hoping that I only have a dodgy plug (they have been in at least 7-8k according to history but I have no other proof that they were changed at that point as I didn’t own bike and also not trusting garage 100% due to bad service on TPS) maybe due to fouling caused by 6k miles of running massively rich… ?

Is there anything else that you think it could be if new plugs (fitting today hopefully) don’t solve this? I was also thinking of having Throttle Bodies synched in case this helps but didn’t think this would go out of adjustment overnight?

Sorry this is a bit of an essay but I really like this bike even after having R1 and 2 TL1000Rs amongst other sport bikes so really want it to be running perfectly!!

Thanks for your help in advance!

Lee

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The first thing I would do is disconnect the battery for a few minutes. The procedure I use is to disconnect the negative lead to the battery. Touch the disconnected negative lead wire to the positive lead. The negative battery terminal should have nothing else connected to it when you do this. Re-connect the negative lead to the battery. Be careful with the little square nut that always seems to get loose and fall out of the negative battery terminal. I use a piece of electrical tape under that nut to help hold it in place and facilitate re-connecting the lead. Go for a ride and see if there is a difference. If this isn't it you can start to go to other trouble shooting.
Hope this helps.

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
Once I had similar problems..
Fix >> check chain >> the mechanic adjusted just a bit >>> and solved.
Along with clutch cable tension (free play distance). (this one was easy to adjust by myself)

Don't know if it solves your problem !!

leetaylor742

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your responses - I changed plugs last night and also reset the ECU as suggested by disconnecting the battery - the ones I took out were CR9E not CR9EK plugs and were quite dark - I put in new CR9EIK Iridiums but didnt get a chance to ride until this morning and its loads better - idles very smoothly and pulls much cleaner through low end and mid range and top end takes off hard to keep wheel on ground in first and wouldnt take much in 2nd to lift off!

I dont know how much of it is due to the Iridium plugs or just the fact I have replaced worn (incorrect) plugs but the bike feels much more responsive and quicker even short shifting through the gears - very pleased so far - I'll see how it feels on way home through work but fingers crossed that has sorted the problem!

Cheers

Lee