Please help me pick a cold weather touring jacket

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I looked at getting a scorpion xdr commander jacket last fall, but when I went to try them on I found that they're sizing was way off (possibly a bad batch?) and they were difficult to move in...I ended up purchasing a Joe Rocket Ballistic 11.0 jacket instead. It has 2 removable liners; a waterproof one and a thermal one. It is 3/4 length, and fits true to size. It has a soft, high collar and the arms can actually zip off (exposing mesh arms) for those slightly warmer days. I used this jacket last year until I put my bike away at the end of october, and again this spring through 47 days of straight rain...I purchased mine for ~ $180.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997R using Tapatalk

njbill

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride dual sport bikes all winter. It is very wet and cold. A few years ago, I came across a Moose Monarch Pass jacket on sale. This jacket is awesome; good looking, lots of pockets, fleece lined collar. It has proven to be very wind and waterproof. Five years later, it still looks brand new. It is not bulky so I wear layers under it to adjust the insulation to match the temperature. I have been out in the 20s and very comfortable in this jacket.

Mudhole1.jpg

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Figured I'd update the thread as the weather has really taken a dip. I ended up going with the Teknic Freeway jacket (2011 version). The price was just too good, a little over $200 with no added tax from a local store and I could try it on and make sure it fits well. I did a little thousand km ride with the temps dipping down to 12C (54F) with only a light long sleeve shirt underneath and I wasn't cold, which is promising. Haven't had a chance to test how waterproof it is, but should hopefully be ok. At 12C, I wasn't feeling any wind coming through which is good. All the pockets have a dry bag like fold over flap and the there is a double zipper up front, a small one and then two inches over the main one. Should keep the water out.

I also picked up the Teknic Sprint overpants from the same place, price was just too good. Don't have as much time in them as the jacket so I'll reserve judgement. One annoyance is the knees are too tight when sitting on the bike. I have the same problem on my Joe Rocket leather pants. I guess they don't design riding pants for those that know how to do a squat. I took the knee armour out and it's a lot better. Should be rideable.

I'll take some pics when I get a chance as there isn't much info on the 2011 version of the jacket

epykwryter

Reaction score
Visit site
Im looking for something for the coming winter as well.
Right now Im rockin the Michelin Man look.
1st Layer: Long sleeve thermal shirt and work pants
2nd: Tshirt and heavy fleece lined Dickies jeans or my Icon Hooligans
3rd: Long sleeve shirt
4th: Hoodie
5th: Paper thin Columbia rain jacket and pants (compliments of my company, so we can work in the rain)
6th: Shift Airborne mesh jacket (armored, no liner)

Ive had my eye on the Shift Trifecta and some gloves. Any suggestions? And how dumb is it to think that a pair of Carhartt Arctic bibs could work to keep my bottom half warm and safe?

I commute 140 miles round trip everyday 65%freeway and 35% country roads. Heading to work at 5:30am and getting home around 7pm. Open to ideas but financially strapped. Really want to keep it under 150. I can deal with being a little cold, but its a little over an hour long commute each way so I dont want anything too unbearable. Looking for something to hold up at temps averaging the 30's F

Help please?

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Im looking for something for the coming winter as well.
Right now Im rockin the Michelin Man look.
1st Layer: Long sleeve thermal shirt and work pants
2nd: Tshirt and heavy fleece lined Dickies jeans or my Icon Hooligans
3rd: Long sleeve shirt
4th: Hoodie
5th: Paper thin Columbia rain jacket and pants (compliments of my company, so we can work in the rain)
6th: Shift Airborne mesh jacket (armored, no liner)

Ive had my eye on the Shift Trifecta and some gloves. Any suggestions? And how dumb is it to think that a pair of Carhartt Arctic bibs could work to keep my bottom half warm and safe?

I commute 140 miles round trip everyday 65%freeway and 35% country roads. Heading to work at 5:30am and getting home around 7pm. Open to ideas but financially strapped. Really want to keep it under 150. I can deal with being a little cold, but its a little over an hour long commute each way so I dont want anything too unbearable. Looking for something to hold up at temps averaging the 30's F

Help please?

I have ridden with the Carhartt bibs and they worked great! Some people argue that the Carhartt wont hold up in a crash but I think they would do ok, definitely better then some alternatives. I wear them over my jeans. I posted this in a different thread and a member said it was too bulky for him,but it works for me. I ride horses with these bibs in the winter so I guess im just used to the bulkyness of them. You definitely wouldnt want to carve up the twisties wearing these though.

Last edited:

epykwryter

Reaction score
Visit site
You definitely wouldnt want to carve up the twisties wearing these though.

Well there goes my winter....ha I dont know how long this fall will let me go before it dumps snow but I dont have the courage to really carve anyways, I can drop the cheek off the seat but the rest of the body...still workin on that one. Need a parking lot to play in. But if I can work in em all day Im fairly confident I could ride in em

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
If you want to be really budget conscious: I went on a four-hour ride yesterday (started at 3 Celsius and got up to about 10), and I was toasty with a T-shirt, wool sweater, and textile jacket on top, with long johns and jeans on the bottom, and my rain gear over it all. The rain gear really cuts the wind and keeps things comfortable.

ChaosCrayons

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride dual sport bikes all winter. It is very wet and cold. A few years ago, I came across a Moose Monarch Pass jacket on sale. This jacket is awesome; good looking, lots of pockets, fleece lined collar. It has proven to be very wind and waterproof. Five years later, it still looks brand new. It is not bulky so I wear layers under it to adjust the insulation to match the temperature. I have been out in the 20s and very comfortable in this jacket.

Mudhole1.jpg

hehe that cant be winter, that water is still liquid :BLAA: in Wisconsin riding in winter would mean 20 BELOW zero and 4 feet of snow :D Bright side is we dont really NEED true winter gear, and if we do we just break out snowmobile duds.

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Tourmaster Epic Jacket. It's a good, fully armoured waterproof jacket with a zip out liner. Great for cold weather. Check out the Olympia AST 2 jacket also. Having said that, heated gear is the best for below 0c riding.

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Well there goes my winter....ha I dont know how long this fall will let me go before it dumps snow but I dont have the courage to really carve anyways, I can drop the cheek off the seat but the rest of the body...still workin on that one. Need a parking lot to play in. But if I can work in em all day Im fairly confident I could ride in em

Haha just thought I would throw that in there just in case. They do limit mobility somewhat but its really not that bad, definitely acceptable for general riding. That was my reasoning too, I wear them all the time and riding a horse isnt incredibly different from riding a bike so I decided to give it a shot. Im going to have to break them out again pretty soon seeing how the weathers starting to get cold here in Michigan. :(

epykwryter

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea. I work outside so I would probably be wearing the bibs all day anyway in a month or so. I lived in a part of MD in which a foot of snowfall overnight wouldnt be too shocking. Im hearing the winters hear in Pennsylvania are a little kinder though. But thanks for the advice. I'll be trying it when it gets cold enough. Its still up in the 40's/50's in the morning. I figure when it drops to the 30's I'll be putting the bibs on.