Looking for a new jacket.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My present jacket is a Rev-It Dragon.
I've had it for about 5 years now and generally speaking it's still in working order, the coloured area's (red) have seriously discoloured (IMO this is due to the fact that the outer "shell" is not waterproof) and some of the velcro fasteners (especially around the wrist) are loosing their strength. It has served me well.
I'm in no rush to buy and might even wait until there's a winter sale somewhere nearby, the only problem is I can't decide which jacket to buy. I'm not sure whether to buy a 4 season jacket (which is what the dragon was sold as), or more of a winter jacket, and use my Dragon for the rest of the year (for the moment).
My biggest quandry is whether to go for a breathable jacket with a seperate waterproof/breathable liner (like my Dragon), or to go for a jacket with a waterproof shell.
The biggest drawback to the Dragon is that when it really rains the outer shell gets soaked (both cooling you down, getting heavier and makes it difficult to stop water getting in your gloves) but the liner stops you getting wet. The biggest advantage is it's versatility, with a removeable liner and 6 vents it can easily change into a great summer jacket, which can easily be made water proof by adding the waterproof/ breathable liner.

I've toyed with the idea of a cheaper winter only jacket with a waterproof shell, only my experience with these is that they don't stay 100% waterproof for a long time

I have even thought about maybe going for a reasonably priced Goretex, but most of the cheaper Goretex jackets are the type with Z-Liners which will also suffer from the outer shell soaking.

Does anyone have any tips for motorbike jackets which I could also use for winter/all year around? Or just simply general tips on types of materials and your experience with them.

LeeFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Aerostich is very high quality riding gears out there, quite spendy though. I'm saving money for it. I have leather Icon jacket (Really satisfy with it), did the job well when I crashed.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
My experience with the cheaper Tourmaster gear has been fine for e past 1.75 years. I'd probably move up to Firstgear or Rev'It if I had the $$$ to buy he pricier stuff.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm on my second FirstGear "Kilimanjaro" winter coat, I'm really happy with them. I prefer a waterproof outer shell rather than a waterproof liner, for the reasons you mentioned.
I also don't think I'd try to make one jacket work in both winter and summer, prefer having one of each.
FWIW.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
For street riding and commuting, you can't beat a one-piece oversuit. Since I got my aerostich road rafters, I sold my jacket and over pants. It also prevents you from riding in just jeans with no lower body protection.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Aerostich is very high quality riding gears out there, quite spendy though. I'm saving money for it. I have leather Icon jacket (Really satisfy with it), did the job well when I crashed.

My experience with the cheaper Tourmaster gear has been fine for e past 1.75 years. I'd probably move up to Firstgear or Rev'It if I had the $$$ to buy he pricier stuff.

I'm on my second FirstGear "Kilimanjaro" winter coat, I'm really happy with them. I prefer a waterproof outer shell rather than a waterproof liner, for the reasons you mentioned.
I also don't think I'd try to make one jacket work in both winter and summer, prefer having one of each.
FWIW.

Thanks for the info guys, unfortunately we can't get all the makes you guys do, can't find a Dutch distributer of Aerostitch, tourmaster or First gear. Botch your jacket looks great, I generally prefer a slightly longer jacket, but yours seems longer on the back, how is it for letting in the wind (when used with the pants)?

For street riding and commuting, you can't beat a one-piece oversuit. Since I got my aerostich road rafters, I sold my jacket and over pants. It also prevents you from riding in just jeans with no lower body protection.

Again we can't get aerostitch over here. TBH I like a seperate jacket and pants, as especially in the summer I sometimes mix with leather trousers.

Dude, the only thing you need is "BMW AirShell jacket"
you can find it here:
BMW Motorrad International

enjoy!

Thanks Dan, it looks like a great jacket, it just seems less of one for winter (I ride all year around), it's also a bit shorter than I like. But I must admit there's a lot of good stuff on their website :thumbup:

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Do Revit make a jacket with the goretex liner bonded to the outside layer? This minimises water absorption, plus goretex keeps you dry.

I have a pair of pants like this, my jacket has a regular goretex lining under the cordura, but it still doesn't seem to get that water logged.

Looking at their range, something like this perhaps.
REV'IT! - Homepage

Goretex is great, it's only when it's hot out that I struggle to keep cool. It's well worth investing in decent gear if it's for commuting.

Some of their other goretex gear has a removable lining, but claims not to absorb that much water ( REV'IT! - Homepage ). For winter and wet though I think something like the above would be better.

SAAVA

Reaction score
Visit site
I am afraid this might not be available in Europe, but it looks really interesting
Fieldsheer Adventure Tour Review
Fieldsheer Adventure Tour Jacket Review - webBikeWorld

Also, check out Teiz as they are only online they might ship to the EU:
Welcome to Teiz Motorsports -

I know a ride who had a Teiz suit custom made for half what it usually costs and has been extremely pleased with the results.

Otherwise it is my understanding that Europe has better gear selection than the US, albeit at a higher price. Good luck.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do Revit make a jacket with the goretex liner bonded to the outside layer? This minimises water absorption, plus goretex keeps you dry.

I have a pair of pants like this, my jacket has a regular goretex lining under the cordura, but it still doesn't seem to get that water logged.

Looking at their range, something like this perhaps.
REV'IT! - Homepage

Goretex is great, it's only when it's hot out that I struggle to keep cool. It's well worth investing in decent gear if it's for commuting.

Some of their other goretex gear has a removable lining, but claims not to absorb that much water ( REV'IT! - Homepage ). For winter and wet though I think something like the above would be better.

I must admit Greg you've pretty much nailed the sort of jacket I'm looking for although I find the Poseidon great, but it's pretty pricey (€689), the Neptune is more in my price class (€449) but it has the Z-liner. I think I might end up going with the liner because of price, but I'm still looking. A big advantage of Rev'it is that my trousers are of the same make and can be zipped together.
I agree with you that commuting in all weathers mean you need good gear to keep comfortable.

Of course I could go with the cheaper Hydratex liner and go with the outback model, which is similar to what I have now

I am afraid this might not be available in Europe, but it looks really interesting
Fieldsheer Adventure Tour Review
Fieldsheer Adventure Tour Jacket Review - webBikeWorld

Also, check out Teiz as they are only online they might ship to the EU:
Welcome to Teiz Motorsports -

I know a ride who had a Teiz suit custom made for half what it usually costs and has been extremely pleased with the results.

Otherwise it is my understanding that Europe has better gear selection than the US, albeit at a higher price. Good luck.

Thanks for posting, this looks like a great jacket, but again I can't find it in the shops over here, and I would really want to try it on before buying it, unfortunately not all makes/models fit me well.

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
There's a chance you may be able to get an end of season deal, mine was the previous years model jacket so I was able to get it with £80 off. I bought mine around this time of the year (early november) a few years ago.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Botch your jacket looks great, I generally prefer a slightly longer jacket, but yours seems longer on the back, how is it for letting in the wind (when used with the pants)?

I simply wrote the word "winter pants" and the forum software made a link of it, that isn't a Kilimanjaro coat at all... :confused:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I simply wrote the word "winter pants" and the forum software made a link of it, that isn't a Kilimanjaro coat at all... :confused:

I googled it, I assumed it wasn't the link, the pic I saw had a slightly extended rear "flap".

2012-firstgear-kilimanjaro-jacket-yellow-black-634498293320553654.jpg

2012-firstgear-kilimanjaro-jacket-yellow-black-634498294032780786.jpg

Last edited:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I googled it, I assumed it wasn't the link, the pic I saw had a slightly extended rear "flap".

I guess I hadn't noticed the extended rear "flap"; apparently my "extended rear" covers it adequately (I've not noticed any caught air)! Blah

ltdillard

commutaholic
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been somewhat in the market for a colder weather jacket. I think I want to go with a 3/4 type one. I have looked a couple of times at the Bilt Vortex jacket; I am intrigued by the storm collar it has. However from reviews it kind of a mixed bag.

Still, when on sale at $179 (currently not on sale) or so it might be a good choice.

BILT - Vortex Waterproof Textile Motorcycle Jacket - Textile - Jackets - Street - Cycle Gear

Has anyone tried the "Sliders" brand from Competition Accessories? Their Adventure jacket looks pretty good; main complains are with tight sleeves.

Sliders Adventure Kevlar Motorcycle Jackets - Competition Accessories

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just lashed out at the tail end of winter for an
* stars gortex jkt it's ace can't remember the model buts 3/4 length and comfy as
I'll check details on Sunday night

my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just lashed out at the tail end of winter for an
* stars gortex jkt it's ace can't remember the model buts 3/4 length and comfy as
I'll check details on Sunday night

Ade it'd be good to know which model you bought and the pro's and cons :thumbup:.

I read on the visordown website that Richa were coming with some new (affordable) jackets for 2015:

Richa Touareg, Infinity and Phantom review

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Alpinestars

so far Martin I have been really impressed with it waterproofedness. it has a teflon coating too to repel moisture so it beads off the cordura.

I like the soft inner collar, it has no storm collar but it is high at the back so sits nicely just under the back of your helmet.

I havnt worn it in really warm weather yet but up to 25C its been ok, usually if i know its gonna be between 15-25 Ill wear leather, over that I'll go to the a stars mesh.

The Land jkt comes with elbow and shoulder armour, I bought the back protector as an accessory but didnt bother with the chest protectors.

It has two front pockets-good size and two on the chest but they are not inside the goretex, a chest pocket just inside the velco on the front and plent of pockets in the jacket that are goretex protected. I do like that it has a nice flap system so it doesnt bunch of on your pillion seat.
the ponly thing missing is something to cinch in the sleeves a little and more flouro.

I checked the revzilla site for reviews. I had looked at RST and Motodry, an expensive Dainese and some out of my price range Motorrad stuff. even themn the astars jkt was 600 + 100 for the back protector, but I reckon it'll be good for 5-6 seasons. good quality YKK zippers!!

worth looking at I reckon
cheers